Overland Border Crossings

Prior to Covid I would drive down to Malaysia every year for a month or two holiday.

I am on a non-o retirement extension.

What would be the insurance requirement for my return (by car) upon my return to Thailand.

I have read the links to insurance provided by the OP above but all of these read insurance required for the duration of stay....but my duration is forever (that is renewing my annual non-o extension)?

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Prior to Covid I would drive down to Malaysia every year for a month or two holiday.

I am on a non-o retirement extension.

What would be the insurance requirement for my return (by car) upon my return to Thailand.

I have read the links to insurance provided by the OP above but all of these read insurance required for the duration of stay....but my duration is forever (that is renewing my annual non-o extension)?

As of May 1st, you would need US$10,000 of Covid insurance for your return to Thailand. I am not up to date on the requirements for entry to Malaysia. All requirements are subject to change at short notice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

As of May 1st, you would need US$10,000 of Covid insurance for your return to Thailand. I am not up to date on the requirements for entry to Malaysia. All requirements are subject to change at short notice.

Yes , that is how I understood it , so on return to Thailand at a land crossing you must have to hand your pass port , your T/P QR code and up to date insurance . ( maybe extend your current insurance to cover for an additional 30 days upon entry to Thailand . and print from the email ) . What I cannot find is , will all land borders open on May 1st ?

2 hours ago, superal said:

Yes , that is how I understood it , so on return to Thailand at a land crossing you must have to hand your pass port , your T/P QR code and up to date insurance . ( maybe extend your current insurance to cover for an additional 30 days upon entry to Thailand . and print from the email ) . What I cannot find is , will all land borders open on May 1st ?

It's my understanding they won't because each country with a Thai border has it's own covid agenda.

Example being you can fly into Cambodia from here but can't get through a land crossing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Example being you can fly into Cambodia from here but can't get through a land crossing.

Absolutely correct, all Cambodian land border crossings are closed to travelers/tourists but are open for legal migrant workers and commercial vehicles carrying vital imports/exports. If you fly into Phnom Penh or Siem Reap, you can get a visa on entry. Also, you do not need mandatory insurance and no financial requirements. No testing on arrival and no quarantine hotel. However you must be fully vaccinated (2 doses minimum) and have documentary proof of this. 

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501049613/14-million-people-cambodia-fully-vaccinated-with-two-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine/

For reference, as from yesterday (25/4/22) Air Asia now flies twice a week between Kuala Lumpur and Siem Reap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, superal said:

What I cannot find is , will all land borders open on May 1st ?

No

Only the crossing to Vientiane and a few Malaysia crossings are open and there are restrictions for entry.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Only the crossing to Vientiane and a few Malaysia crossings are open and there are restrictions for entry.

Without doing further research, could you share what it takes to cross in Nong Khai right now. Are border runs possible there to get a stamp as I used to for a 9 month multi entry TV?

How do you see the timeline of opening in that regard? Also how about other borders like Phu Nam Ron?

Thanks @ubonjoe!

2 minutes ago, Exilerunner said:

Without doing further research, could you share what it takes to cross in Nong Khai right now. Are border runs possible there to get a stamp as I used to for a 9 month multi entry TV?

How do you see the timeline of opening in that regard? Also how about other borders like Phu Nam Ron?

Thanks @ubonjoe!

It is not straightforward. (Hopefully you are vaccinated.) In principle, you must enter Laos as part of a tour. There are travel agents in Nong Khai who can help with this. Then, you need a ThaiPass to return to Thailand which includes US$10,000 (starting May 1st) of Covid insurance for at least 30 days. The days of an easy border bounce (or an easy visa run) to Laos are not yet upon us.

5 hours ago, superal said:

What I cannot find is , will all land borders open on May 1st ?

The Malaysian/Thai border is already open at Sadao, Padang Besar and Sungai Golok. But until 1st May you need to do 'Test & Go' on return from Malaysia. Entering Malaysia there are no requirements beyond proof of being fully vaccinated. After 1st May returning to Thailand you will need to have your Thailand Pass, Proof of Vaccination and US$10,000 insurance cover.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

The Malaysian/Thai border is already open at Sadao, Padang Besar and Sungai Golok. But until 1st May you need to do 'Test & Go' on return from Malaysia. Entering Malaysia there are no requirements beyond proof of being fully vaccinated. After 1st May returning to Thailand you will need to have your Thailand Pass, Proof of Vaccination and US$10,000 insurance cover.

Will Thailand open all land borders 1st May ?

On 4/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, BritTim said:

It is not straightforward. (Hopefully you are vaccinated.) In principle, you must enter Laos as part of a tour. There are travel agents in Nong Khai who can help with this. Then, you need a ThaiPass to return to Thailand which includes US$10,000 (starting May 1st) of Covid insurance for at least 30 days. The days of an easy border bounce (or an easy visa run) to Laos are not yet upon us.

Thank you so much, I will need to wait