British press support UK pensioners losing out in Thailand

webfact

26 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Most pensioners are entitled to their pension,they paid in all their lives,its no wonder many keep a uk address  or do they?

I didn't have a UK address and after 7 years in Thailand when my UK gov pension was due they knew where I lived.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote "I ask a question of you ... do fully retired British military receive medical cost reimbursement globally?  Sadly we get nothing back from the government at all.

Not exactly free at all. For the period of your service you go where you are sent and do what you are told to do.

And if for some reason civilians decide to go on strike as they are permitted to do, who picks up their job? Why the military of course. The firemen's strike springs to mind as does the fuel truck drivers as well.

During the firemen's strike the military were driving AFS fire engines that were 30 year or more old and the police were called in to guide them to the fire as most of them had no idea of the addresses in any of the towns.

It was no use saying that is not my job as the response would be "It is now". they lived in their uniforms for days and weeks on end with no overtime or time off.

Who is called in when there is a national disaster? The military of course.

They earn their pensions, even those who are killed or wounded in brushfire wars.

If they are married they get a house, but still have to pay for it and when they "march out" the house MUST be spic and span, even down to no dust on the top of the doorframes and underneath all of the carpets has to be clean and polished.

If your wife is pregnant and close to having a baby and you get sent someplace else, it is no use whining, because you have to go.

It used to be that the pension was divided into 22nds to the age 40. You awarded 1/22 for each year you served in mans service. So if you served for 9 years your pension, was not paid until you became 50 and you got 9/22 of the pension that a 22 year serving man got at age 40. Of course the pension was added to your income and naturally you paid tax on it.

Another thing, there are no unions and you cannot go on strike. The annual pay rise is decided by the government and that is what you get, not a penny more or a penny less. and even while you are serving you still pay income tax at the rate applicable to your earnings. 

To my British Cousins (I have documentation of my DNA) please do not see my question, in any way, questioning the earned retirement benefits for having served in the US or the British armed forces. I raised the question solely to learn if the conditions for earned retirement benefits were the same for  Britain as in the US. There appears to having a question remaining as I read a reply saying retired  British military do not receive retirement healthcare general benefits and another reply saying they do. As an American retiree I am looking to call for equity in the US between earned US military healthcare access and earned US civilian Medicare healthcare access for retirees. There is a difference in the ability to access earned retirement healthcare global care.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

....and you are still paying UK tax on your pension.

Why should he pay tax on his pension?

The state pension is less than the personal tax allowance and in effect is tax free.

The balance remaining between the state pension and the personal allowance is then put against any other earnings and only after the £12,750 has been used up and you pay basic rate tax minus any other additional expenses that you may be able to claim, unless you reach the next tax band,

I have no idea what that rate is as I have never earned enough income to get there.

7 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

How? 

No idea I guess it was the tax office they knew where I lived after informing me of rebates that were due and giving my Thai wife a tax number.

My Thai wife lived in England for 2.1/2 years and we had joint bank accounts.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Absolutely. Totally illegal. But there are very many that apply for their pensions using a UK address (son/daughter most often) yet never visit the UK. And it is mainly these folk that suggest the full pension is illegally withheld from them and have no qualms claiming from the UK.

For the record, I am not one .

What if you lived there in Phillipines 6months and Thailand 6months that's what some guys do UK and Thai 6 months.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No idea I guess it was the tax office they knew where I lived after informing me of rebates that were due and giving my Thai wife a tax number.

My Thai wife lived in England for 2.1/2 years and we had joint bank accounts.

Oh i see, guess so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Unfortunately we are viewed as no more than traitors and scum for leaving the uk and living in Thailand,  that's the government, general population, friends and family, the latter will never say it to your face.

But keep trying, never say never and all that. :jap:

id rather eat like s#£t every day here in thailand than live back in poxy country in was born in... sadly only foreigners and migrants get looked after..

im not racist im a realist .just sayin  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Orinoco said:

They make it hard for sure. it's all a bit counter productive of them,  as we landlords are now very very selective of our tenants.

we cant be truly honest of why refuse some tenants. but most know why. :giggle:

And as from 2024 we will be forced into submitting digital tax records every 90 days. 

Tax made digital (TMD) 

18 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Unfortunately we are viewed as no more than traitors and scum for leaving the uk and living in Thailand,  that's the government, general population, friends and family, the latter will never say it to your face.

You nailed it with this. So true. There's a lot of envy from home (friends, family and colleagues) when I'm wintering in Thailand. If I live another 12 years to ever receive the full state pension aleady paid into, and qualified for, then I'll have to accept the unfair terms of no annual increases if living full time in Thailand. Harsh and unfair but unlikely to ever change. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Orinoco said:

You do come across as bit of a show -off and full of yourself , like the kind of person who tells everyone else how successful he is and how much money he's got and  how hot and nice the weather is in Thailand whilst trying to make everyone else envious of you .

Maybe that's why you're not too popular back home ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't .

I am the same as you 

I am quite unpopular as well .

Nothing to do with living abroad though, because I was unpopular when I live in the U.K as well

Ok i see.

So your the original Billy no-mates. :jap:

• Sad 1

On 5/2/2022 at 5:04 AM, soi3eddie said:

Nothing will change. How dare we leave the UK for a happier life in Thailand (or elsewhere). We only exist in the eyes of the UK government if they can still tax us. Nobody stuck in the UK would support an increase for those living overseas. 

Well of course people should be free to pursue a happier life elsewhere. But in many pensions there are benefits embedded in the pension payment - to help the said people cope with rising cost of living in their home countries. Such as inflation indexed benefits, power supplements etc. It seems reasonable that people shouldn't receive these same benefits should they decide to relocate elsewhere.

13 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

It sure may be... But then independently pay for it.. 'The state' obligations should end when you leave the state.. 

If it benefits the state to get rid of you, which mostly it will, I see no issue with it. I don't have the numbers, but forcing many to return to the UK to reinstate a pension, surely will cost them in a longer term. I also believe the government should comply with the terms and conditions they accepted and offered, when I made my voluntary contributions ... not yank the rug from under my feet. IE Pay me a state pension of xx percent where xx depends on number of contributing years up to 100%....wherever I chose to take it.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, you will be paying tax on the private pension or investment income.

Incorrect. ALL income including State pension is subject to tax. You have only your personal allowance to set against that. In fact my state pension is what tips me into higher rate tax. I can see this in front of my eyes as I fill in my tax return. Why do you think they ask you to declare it if not taxable?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Incorrect. ALL income including State pension is subject to tax. You have only your personal allowance to set against that. In fact my state pension is what tips me into higher rate tax. I can see this in front of my eyes as I fill in my tax return. Why do you think they ask you to declare it if not taxable?

But you could look at it as if your State Pension is below the tax limit, if that was all you are getting, it is. So really it is your 'extras' which are tipping you into the higher rate.

Start taking a smaller income from your private sources and keep it below the higher rate rate.

Edited by KannikaP

32 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Semantic really, if one only receives a State pension it is less than the personal allowance and you will not pay taxes.... you could well say it is your other income that tips you into the higher brackets. That actually is another discussion, should those non-residents have a personal allowance of allowed income before tax is levied?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Semantic really, if one only receives a State pension it is less than the personal allowance and you will not pay taxes.... you could well say it is your other income that tips you into the higher brackets. That actually is another discussion, should those non-residents have a personal allowance of allowed income before tax is levied?

Not semantics. ALL income is subject to tax -fact. Additionally,how many could fund a retirement here (or really anywhere abroad) on a state pension of under £10k which is little more than HALF of the 65k baht per income requirement for a retirement visa ??

Id be quite happy to forego my personal allowance- because that would have to be commensurate with having to pay no tax at all in the UK ! The two are intertwined by definition. 

14 hours ago, Thailand said:

Simply because they have contributed to the scheme and are entitled to it. BTW I am not wealthy at all but entitled to about 45% of the state pension despite max contributions. 

And 9 years of military service, nowt for that unfortunately.

Don't answer if you don't want to (obvs), but why do you not receive any military pension?

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But you could look at it as if your State Pension is below the tax limit, if that was all you are getting, it is. So really it is your 'extras' which are tipping you into the higher rate.

Start taking a smaller income from your private sources and keep it below the higher rate rate.

No you couldn’t,because if your earnings didn’t exceed the tax allowance you’d not meet the income requirements (65k baht per month) to qualify for a retirement visa ! 
Your last comment suggests a degree of economic illiteracy beyond comprehension. Should I tell my occupational pension providers to keep the money they owe me ? How exactly does that work? ???? 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

No you couldn’t,because if your earnings didn’t exceed the tax allowance you’d not meet the income requirements (65k baht per month) to qualify for a retirement visa ! 

What are you on about? This is about UK Income tax, nothing to do with Thai Immigration demands. And SOME expats have money in the bank or use the Combination method to obtain their retirement extensions. 

Maybe your 'economic literacy' is different than mine, so less of the insults please.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

What are you on about? This is about UK Income tax, nothing to do with Thai Immigration demands. And SOME expats have money in the bank or use the Combination method to obtain their retirement extensions. 

Maybe your 'economic literacy' is different than mine, so less of the insults please.

If you cannot see the connection between income,tax and the financial requirements to live here then your literacy is clearly "different" .. or otherwise known as "lacking",confirmed by a suggestion to have less income as a tax mitigation ????.

Perhaps I got to earning sufficient to pay  higher rate tax in retirement by my economic literacy being (thankfully)  "different " to yours !