Are We Logical?

My Dear Logical Friends,

Is there even one of you, OUT THERE, who can say you are logical?

Among all the many posters here on TV, and there are so many from around the world, is there just one of you who is able state that he is a logical man, a person who lives life logically?

Personally, I believe what you believe, and, in fact, not only do I believe that guys on the Farang Pub are completely illogical, but I am sure that everyone knows it, too.

Also, do governments act logically and rationally?

So, the question might be, why do you behave so irrationally, even when you know that you are acting contrary to what your understanding of logic might be?

Fortunately, most of us do not completely fly off the handle and act in ways which send us to the monkey cage.

I can think of one important reason why we behave illogically, for example, and maybe you can think of others.

My reasons for thinking illogically is this:

Being celibate, and being always in a state of readiness, sometimes when I see some bird flying around, I feel such an urge to slip my hand up around her feathers, and stroke her Tibio-tarsal articulation.

Yes, my friends, I am truly into birds of all kinds, even if I might not act on my urges, due to my logicality.

I am celibate due to my superior logic.

And, in the end, lack of logic, not to mention pursuit of diminishing resources, may someday lead to the annihilation of organized human civilization.

Logic is important.

Logic is also beyond the ken of the human's pea brain.

How many times, today, have you acted illogically, drunk or sober?

Please do tell.

Your telling might be informative to any who have interest in this topic.

Regards,

Glob

Note Please:   

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

It depends on how you view logical.  We are generally fairly hemmed in by our subconscious limbic system, but we are capable of engaging our conscious minds to kind of attempt to override it.  Is our limbic system logical?  Kind of, it just operates on a very basic "survival instinct" level that would make sense if we were still living like wild animals, but is not compatible with modern lifestyles.

So we have a kind of incompatible logic that drives us, while we use a more compatible logic to try and wrestle with our basic survival/procreational urges.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Being celibate, and being always in a state of readiness, sometimes when I see some bird flying around, I feel such an urge to slip my hand up around her feathers, and stroke her Tibio-tarsal articulation.

????????????????

The euphemism to end all euphemisms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It depends on how you view logical.  We are generally fairly hemmed in by our subconscious limbic system, but we are capable of engaging our conscious minds to kind of attempt to override it.  Is our limbic system logical?  Kind of, it just operates on a very basic "survival instinct" level that would make sense if we were still living like wild animals, but is not compatible with modern lifestyles.

So we have a kind of incompatible logic that drives us, while we use a more compatible logic to try and wrestle with our basic survival/procreational urges.

Good post.

And many of us think we are logical but in reality we are not.

I.e. we see is great looking red car and we want it. So we look at the specs and maybe we find that is doesn't need much gasoline and it has this xzy technology.

And then we decide we want to buy it because if this great xzy technology - at least that is what we tell ourselves and others. ???? 

• Thanks 1

I'll pass on a tale from a colleague, of a former colleague of his, who, for whatever reason, had found himself sectioned in the mental hospital for a while.

On his return to work, he was passed over for promotion, citing reasons of mental stability.  He held out his release papers "I've got a certificate from a doctor stating that I'm sane.  What has the other guy got?"

SC

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Define logical?

Is sleeping with 500 women logical?

If not Im a nutty

Is sleeping with 1 woman for 50 years logical? 

Most govts are stupid

So, a lot of sex with one or many women was what logic meant to you. I have hard to see that qualify.

@GammaGlobulinNeither do your post!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Are We Logical?"

Some of us are - more or less.

Others write new topics and new topics and new topics and new topics and new topics...

...and even fewer have the ability to recognize the homogenous redundancy and repetitiveness. 

• Haha 1

If we were logical, we would not smoke, knowing a smoker is 20 times more likely to die of lung cancer than a non-smoker.

We would not drink alcohol, as it is a Class 1 carcinogen, and causes more violence than any illegal drug, with the possible exception of meth.

We would not buy anything new, preferring to spend our hard-earned on items that are good value, with a reputation for reliability.

We would not elect leaders who are nothing but con-men.

True logic says we would have no more than a one night stand with any woman, as anything longer puts us on the slippery slope to financial suicide.

No, we are not logical.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

One might choose pleasure, convenience or vice over logic. But then realizing that you only live once and should make the most of it, maybe choosing not to be logical is the most logical choice of all.

Living only to chasing fun, make fun boring! Logical? 

where is your paradise when you living in paradise? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If we were logical, we would not smoke, knowing a smoker is 20 times more likely to die of lung cancer than a non-smoker.

We would not drink alcohol, as it is a Class 1 carcinogen, and causes more violence than any illegal drug, with the possible exception of meth.

We would not buy anything new, preferring to spend our hard-earned on items that are good value, with a reputation for reliability.

We would not elect leaders who are nothing but con-men.

True logic says we would have no more than a one night stand with any woman, as anything longer puts us on the slippery slope to financial suicide.

No, we are not logical.

Everyone dies of something.  Only someone grossly lacking in logic would fear death, which is inevitable.  A greater fear may be that soling may kill you before you have made your peace with God, or May engender you immobile through limb loss from diabetes, but we all have to balance risks and benefits.  Your logic may be so skewed by your own perceptions of risk and benefit, or blinded by your own moral judgements, but rather than denigrating other people’s thinking, consider the working of their own logic, rather than yours.

Trees have a simple logic: they grow towards the sun, and bend with the wind.  Smokers may be more complex.

10 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Defined standards as to what is perceived logical? 

Absolutes and semantics might play a deeper role.

Putting your savings in to crypto currency logical?? For some it is maybe true, for others, i don’t think so

Edited by Hummin

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Smokers may be more complex.

IMO smokers are idiots. It's not just lung cancer, add emphysema, stroke and heart attack to the increased risk mix.

I'm just going by the statistics and facts. Isn't that what logical people do?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMO smokers are idiots. It's not just lung cancer, add emphysema, stroke and heart attack to the increased risk mix.

I agree waste of money for nothing good. At least alcohol makes you feel good.

There is no good level of tobacco. Alcohol has good levels

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What is your preference for your cause of death?

Some people believe in pre-ordination.  Presumably, people who are going to die of lung cancer are much more likely to smoke than people who are going to die of other causes.

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

What is your preference for your cause of death?

Some people believe in pre-ordination.  Presumably, people who are going to die of lung cancer are much more likely to smoke than people who are going to die of other causes.

Lung cancer without smoking is less common. Why make yourself sicker?

29 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I agree waste of money for nothing good. At least alcohol makes you feel good.

There is no good level of tobacco. Alcohol has good levels

That's in dispute now.

A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The researchers admit moderate drinking may protect against heart disease but found that the risk of cancer and other diseases outweighs these protections.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

“Alcohol is associated with dementia. Even moderate intake can affect brain dementia,” said Kenechukwu Mazue, a nuclear cardiology fellow at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. “There’s really no safe level.”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/should-you-avoid-all-alcohol-heres-what-the-experts-think#Experts-have-long-been-divided-over-the-benefits-of-alcohol

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

That's in dispute now.

A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The researchers admit moderate drinking may protect against heart disease but found that the risk of cancer and other diseases outweighs these protections.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

“Alcohol is associated with dementia. Even moderate intake can affect brain dementia,” said Kenechukwu Mazue, a nuclear cardiology fellow at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. “There’s really no safe level.”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/should-you-avoid-all-alcohol-heres-what-the-experts-think#Experts-have-long-been-divided-over-the-benefits-of-alcohol

Debatable but fun. Tobacco not fun.

Drinking a light beer going to ruin you? I dont think so

• Like 1

You know someone threw logic out of the door a long time ago when you start to ask wether sex or the frequency of sex is either logical or illogical.

Edited by ChaiyaTH