Over 21,000 overseas passengers arrive in BKK, Phuket, on 1st day without ‘Test & Go’

webfact

24 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

21,000 eh...

Were have they hidden them.

I was in Phuket on Saturday night and visited a good number of bars.  In all venues the staff outnumbered customers by at least 6 to 1.

Considering this article is about the number of people who arrived on the 1st May (Sunday) after restrictions were lifted then they were probably on a flight.  And probably only around 2,000 of that 21,000 went to Phuket anyway, the rest landed in Bangkok then went wherever they wanted to.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Airport officials reported congestion at the immigration area, as many passengers were seen close to one another, making social distancing impossible.

They just spent hours sat side by side in a big aluminium tube! "Airport Officials reported having an IQ level to match their shoe size" ????

26 minutes ago, tawandaeng said:

Were they surprised that their lunatic policies were the reason for demolishing the economy in the first place? 

The premise that the Thai economy was "demolished" is wrong. In 2020 it was similar to 2018 and the decline in 2020 was not peculiar to Thailand. The projected GDP for 2021 was higher than that for 2020 and projected to continue rising. The strength of the Thai economy is reflected in the continued strength of the Baht.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp-growth-annual

According to this article, the biggest threat to the Thai economy is the continued spread of covid, not the failure to open up unrestricted travel, similar to Australia's experience.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thai-economy-grew-1.6-in-2021-despite-COVID-19-headwind

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

To settle one of the dispute, I went on flightstats to count the actual arrived international flights on 1st May in HKT and BKK. The result is as below:

HKT Arrivals on 1st May

WE338 BOM (Cargo only)

TG963 ARN

G8 73  DEL

QR842 DOH

G8 21 BOM (G8 41 BLR and G8 71 CCU is indicated cancelled)

SQ726 SIN

KC563 ALA

EY430 AUH

MH786 KUL

SQ728 SIN

TR656 SIN

3K535 SIN

EK378 DXB

6E1763 DEL

AK824 KUL

QR840 DOH

FD377 SIN

TG919 LHR

TG478 SYD

SQ736 SIN

TR652 SIN

SQ740 SIN

QR843 KUL

EK396 DXB

JQ17 MEL

QR841 SIN

FD525 HKG

Total: 26 possible passenger flights.

Edited by ChC1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vinci said:

yeah! that's easy, wasn't there before

It doesn’t have to be a Thai insurance ! I entered with April, an international quite expensive insurance that is noted one of the very best.I feel better when I’m well insured, and when traveling , I think it’s absolutely necessary for all tourists.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is quite meaningless to measure the 1st day arrivals. Thailand has choked it's own throat, and shot it's own foot repeatedly, with heinous restrictions for 2 years now. So, on the 1st day with no quarantine, there is bound to be alot of pent up demand, and alot of expats and businessmen returning. 

Let's see what the numbers look like after a month, or a year. I predict around 250,000 a month for the next couple of years. Covid hit alot of people hard, and Thailand is but a shell of what it used to be. We shall see. 

I read where you said you were leaving Thailand a year or so back. You sure are taking your time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

My maths come to ~ 175.

At this run rate - not sure how much of this is pent-up demand - 5 million (for all of 2022) should be no problem.

i counted 64 international  arrivels in 24 hours that day, i counted it and 21000/64= 328

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A mixture of tourists, returning Thais, families living here and business people.

... they might also be counting transit passengers and over-nighting flight crew ... but, anyway, good luck to them.

Troubling to read of the crowding and lack of social distancing ... it's as if nothing has been learned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacknorman said:

i counted it and 21000/64= 328

Yeah, this alone should be enough to indicate you failed.

I mean unless there's seating in the cargo hold for what employees refers to us as self-load freight.

Counting these flights on free web sites can be challenging. And you've got to filter code-shares and cargo-only flights.

The quoted figures in the OP pass the smell test.

Many say flightradar24 has the most accurate and timely stats. Just use Arrivals, and BKK or HKT.

JP Morgan downgrades Thailand on fading tourism recovery

Analysts at J.P. Morgan downgraded Thailand`s equities rating on Monday, citing the slow pace of recovery in the tourism industry due to rising inflation and a surge in Covid-19 cases in China.

https://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?sc=30800023&year=2022&no=391811

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I read where you said you were leaving Thailand a year or so back. You sure are taking your time...

The universe is in a constant state of flux. I changed my mind. Went and explored Mexico. Had no idea crime was so rampant, and the area I looked at was infested with cartel types. Then looked at the US, just to be able to spend several months a year there. If you do not own a home there these days, it is nearly impossible to move back, without having some wealth. Things have skyrocketed, rents have gotten to an unsustainable level, and hyper inflation is rampant, especially with anything labor related. Everything has gone up.

So, we have decided to be content here, and the perspective I got from the recent trips was useful in doing so. 

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The premise that the Thai economy was "demolished" is wrong. In 2020 it was similar to 2018 and the decline in 2020 was not peculiar to Thailand. The projected GDP for 2021 was higher than that for 2020 and projected to continue rising. The strength of the Thai economy is reflected in the continued strength of the Baht.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp-growth-annual

According to this article, the biggest threat to the Thai economy is the continued spread of covid, not the failure to open up unrestricted travel, similar to Australia's experience.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thai-economy-grew-1.6-in-2021-despite-COVID-19-headwind

"The strength of the Thai economy is reflected in the continued strength of the Baht." True, and just why has the Baht strengthened so much since 2014 when the soldiers stole the country.

Is it not obvious that the soldiers have been manipulating the Baht ever since?  I am not financially minded enough to explain why, but it cannot be just a coincidence.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh dear.  Maths is obviously not your strong point......neither is logic.  Each passenger does not take 15 minutes at the desk!!

If you say there are 40 desks open between BKK and Phuket and flights land over a 14 hour period (I have no idea how many desks are currently open but that seems reasonable), then it means each desk is processing 37 passengers per hour which seems perfectly normal.

Take it over an 18 hour period and it is 29 passengers per hour per desk, so two minutes per person.

In reality the numbers are probably over a 24 hour period.

Aha you dont read last line!

19 hours ago, Adumbration said:

21,000 eh...

Were have they hidden them.

I was in Phuket on Saturday night and visited a good number of bars.  In all venues the staff outnumbered customers by at least 6 to 1.

Last Saturday was 30th April??? The thread is about arrivals starting from 1st May. Agree that Phuket in general has been pretty quiet with the exception of the couple of areas that are residential for expats and, as expected, Patong. Bangla road, for example, is pretty full, along with the bars,  most late evenings, but yes, that is only a tiny part of Phuket.

Out of the 21,000 arrivals on 1st May, I can confirm that just under 4,500 arrived in Phuket, and from what I am told by my colleagues, many "tourists". Phuket had similar numbers arriving towards the end of December last year, up until they started tinkering with the Test & Go. Obviously best to do away with it completely.

i don't believe the tourists are "hidden".  It is just that the numbers arriving are still realatively small when compared to better days and years. Nevertheless, for me it is an improvement in arrival numbers and hopefully it will continues beyond the first few days.

I have just completed my 6th entry pass into Thailand during Covid times. Please to report that i registered my submission for Thailand pass at 09:05 and received the QR code and pass 27 minutes later. I had to upload 3 documents, albeit my Covid vaccination certificate 3 times.

I guess from reading the full thread that it is not this straight forward for all, and yes, it would be great if they did away with it altogether. However, it was not so difficult for me

6 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Last Saturday was 30th April??? The thread is about arrivals starting from 1st May. Agree that Phuket in general has been pretty quiet with the exception of the couple of areas that are residential for expats and, as expected, Patong. Bangla road, for example, is pretty full, along with the bars,  most late evenings, but yes, that is only a tiny part of Phuket.

Out of the 21,000 arrivals on 1st May, I can confirm that just under 4,500 arrived in Phuket, and from what I am told by my colleagues, many "tourists". Phuket had similar numbers arriving towards the end of December last year, up until they started tinkering with the Test & Go. Obviously best to do away with it completely.

i don't believe the tourists are "hidden".  It is just that the numbers arriving are still realatively small when compared to better days and years. Nevertheless, for me it is an improvement in arrival numbers and hopefully it will continues beyond the first few days.

I think that the best litmus test for tourist numbers in Phuket (though definitely not for profitability) is buses.  Driving down there and back yesterday I still did not see a single tourist related bus on the road.

• Like 1

120 flights in 24 hours at only 2 airports, and all International flights, besides the domestic flights

into these airports, must have been a very busy day for only these two airports. For the poster who does not think

that this would not be a busy day, well, your math skills are a question to me. Yes I also know that Bangkok

has the old airport for most domestic flights, but Phuket has only one airport for all its flights. I am hoping that

Thailand has a good surge in all traffic, and business improves every day. Bangkok also has some aircraft that

are freighters, and just stop over flights, for people who hare travelling through the country enroute to somewhere else.

Just Saying...

On 5/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, thailand49 said:

Not taking sides but I did take the time to look at the arrivals majority are local flights should those be counted. As for the International flights are the flight full?  

One thing for sure if in fact they can generate the numbers as claims then can they imagine if we just open go back to Pre-covid? ????

Off topic really. Subject clearly International Flights / Overseas Visitors. Domestic Flights a completely different subject.????

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Off topic really. Subject clearly International Flights / Overseas Visitors. Domestic Flights a completely different subject.????

Original topic the individual posted a link it was a discussion or disagreement with another poster out of curiosity I open the link which listed arriving flights as you noted International but within the link majority were domestic I clearly understood the topic is International but I guess you coming at the end missed that????

• Like 1