Is it worth getting a second COVID-19 booster?

webfact

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They are also failing to advise us of the downside of getting too many doses, i.e. that it can do to our immune system as many top Dr's in their fields of immunology and virology have said.

You're right that there are scientists warning about possible "T-cell exhaustion" from getting too many boosters, however when I looked into it, I found there's still no proof of this actually happening with any vaccine so far.   For example, plenty of people get the flu vaccine every year, no problem.    T-cell exhaustion does happen with cancer and HIV though.

I went ahead and got a 4th dose (Moderna).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rumak said:

THIS  "vaccine"   does not do what they told you .    If you believe it saved you then ok.    But that is not very "scientific" .      I have info for you any time you ask .    An open mind is best . why the name calling ?   Anti-vaxxers ?   Cmon, you are showing your bias.   We are discussing THESE covid concoctions which are anything BUT safe and effective.

well, all of you have already had your shots... and more shots.....     So too late to go back.   

There are anti-vaxxers, and pro-vaxxers. It's just a classification to me, although I can understand why the first group would regard it as a pejorative.

I don't care if people choose to reject vaccination. They are not a threat to me, and if they want to run the increased risk of death or serious debilitation, they can assume responsibility for that choice, as I have done with mine.

When I got COVID, I was mildly sick for three days, runny nose and sore throat. My GF, unvaccinated, is 23 years younger than me, had a runny nose, sore throat, fever, headache and nausea. She was seriously ill for at least ten days. It made her a fervent convert to vaccination.

I also have an unvaccinated friend in Chiang Rai. After getting COVID shortly after me, he had fatigue problems for several months. He still admits to problems with concentration, six months afterwards.

To me, that is all the scientific proof I need that vaccines work.

The problem here is that people who claim vaccines are unsafe can easily assemble data on a small proportion of deaths and severe adverse reactions after vaccination. OTOH, coming up with an experimental design that proves millions of vaccinated people did not die or become seriously incapacitated is a lot more difficult.

Unvaccinated people are the control group in that situation. The data is already in said people are statistically far more likely to be occupying a bed in an ICU, or require ventilation. They are also far more likely to develop "long COVID". It's your choice if you want to reject that data.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Airalee said:

A vaccine to protect oneself against the negative side effects from another vaccine? 

Sounds awesome!  Sign me up!

Well it appears he already had it, but that earlier version is less effective. Interesting that a Covid vaccine brought about a bout of shingles..... but a flu infection can do that too I believe. 

7 hours ago, rumak said:

We are discussing THESE covid concoctions which are anything BUT safe and effective.

Yep.

It appears that most prefer to keep their heads in the sand. 

7 hours ago, rumak said:

THIS  "vaccine"   does not do what they told you .    If you believe it saved you then ok.    But that is not very "scientific" .      I have info for you any time you ask .    An open mind is best . why the name calling ?   Anti-vaxxers ?   Cmon, you are showing your bias.   We are discussing THESE covid concoctions which are anything BUT safe and effective.

well, all of you have already had your shots... and more shots.....     So too late to go back.   

Could this be another closed mine, personally I don't care, but when you make a statement like, THIS "vaccine" does not do what they told you. You should back it up with your evidence, instead of coming on here and to convince us with just your word, because only those on your clouded side will buy your unsubstantiated hot air to put it mildly.

Are you an Anti-Vaxer, I don't care, do you want a vaccine I don't care, but as I said, you want to say what you said, well for anyone to believe any of your hot air, it has to be backed up, can you do that, NOPE !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, for those vaccinated at Bang Sue, but what about the millions of others who weren't? I haven't heard a whisper in Pattaya about the government giving a free second booster, only the usual rapacious private hospital charging three times as much as a hospital in the capital would for a half-dose of Moderna.

Banglamung Hospital is still running weekly events, most of which include a 4th shot for those in risk categories. Check their FB page.

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, for those vaccinated at Bang Sue, but what about the millions of others who weren't? I haven't heard a whisper in Pattaya about the government giving a free second booster, only the usual rapacious private hospital charging three times as much as a hospital in the capital would for a half-dose of Moderna.

Got your head under a pillow? Regular posts on Bangkok Pattaya Facebook about free booster jabs, One yesterday. Are you specifying Moderna and expect it free?

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Yep.

It appears that most prefer to keep their heads in the sand. 

I can direct them to LOTS of information that is censored .    I am really disgusted by all the narrow minded bullies in the world who do not have the ability to compete or think intellectually...... and prove it by just forcing others to "shut up"

Head in the sand, indeed.     And they really try to portray themselves as the smart ones.  I can not feel sorry for them when they (as millions of others are finding out)  have to face the consequences of their blind obedience

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Alot of them probably needed a healthier lifestyle.

Yes,  that idea pretty much has disappeared from the human's brain.

its all about drugs .    and more drugs.     

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Covid: Fourth-dose jab trial shows good boost

Fourth-dose Covid booster vaccines increase protection against Covid-19, particularly in people aged over 70, according to a UK trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61384269

Drug makers and other healthcare companies spent almost $30 billion in a single year to influence the medical choices made by Americans and steer them toward treatments that were newer, vastly more expensive and sometimes riskier than their tried-and-true alternatives, new research shows.

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-medical-marketing-money-20190109-story.html

On 5/9/2022 at 4:28 AM, ozimoron said:

That's patently false as the latest stats show.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=covid+stats+thailand

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

How do people get from a declining graph to "covid is here to stay"? It now appears that with vaccines we are finally winning the war against against covid. It is always possible that we could see another, more infectious version but we are now better positioned to fight against it.

@ozimoron you're man of total contradictions....we are finally winning the war against against covid. It is always possible that we could see another, more infectious version.   which one is it? we are winning the war or we could see another version??     

you can't control a virus, no-one is god.

we can try and minimize its impact within reason and that doesnt mean wearing masks for the rest of our lives or any knee jerk reaction to spikes in cases. 

i don't think you understood my point.....its here to stay as in, so is the flu. im not saying it will be rampant all the time but it will be seasonal like the flu no doubt.  obviously there's gonna be a decline in cases but its also never going away completely.

we have to move on.     its been 2 and half years for god's sake  so we have to learn to live with it 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

You're right that there are scientists warning about possible "T-cell exhaustion" from getting too many boosters, however when I looked into it, I found there's still no proof of this actually happening with any vaccine so far.   For example, plenty of people get the flu vaccine every year, no problem.    T-cell exhaustion does happen with cancer and HIV though.

I went ahead and got a 4th dose (Moderna).  

I've also had 4 shots.  2 AZ and 2 Moderna. The Israeli data suggested that 1st and 2nd boosters are very effective at protecting from severe disease but protection wanes significantly after 3 months. I may have to consider a 5th shot before going to the US later this year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulikens said:

@ozimoron you're man of total contradictions....we are finally winning the war against against covid. It is always possible that we could see another, more infectious version.   which one is it? we are winning the war or we could see another version??     

you can't control a virus, no-one is god.

we can try and minimize its impact within reason and that doesnt mean wearing masks for the rest of our lives or any knee jerk reaction to spikes in cases. 

i don't think you understood my point.....its here to stay as in, so is the flu. im not saying it will be rampant all the time but it will be seasonal like the flu no doubt.  obviously there's gonna be a decline in cases but its also never going away completely.

we have to move on.     its been 2 and half years for god's sake  so we have to learn to live with it 

I think it's both, we are winning but we could see another more infectious version. I'm not sure if covid will be here forever because every other coronavirus has eventually petered out. The Spanish Flu did, as well as SARS and MERS. It may live on like the flue but as far as I understand (I don't know) the flu is a rhinovirus, not a coronavirus. H1N1 keeps coming back but I think they are disparate strains. I think 2 1/2 years is not long for a pandemic and we need to wait for the infections to die down rather than do a George and declare mission accomplished while infections are still rising in many places.

If learnign to live with it means ignoring it or doing nothing to mitigate it then I disagree. I now have 4 shots so I feel fairly safe but I'm still very willing to wear masks, get tested.

• Sad 2

I wonder what discussions people in locked down China are having in their chat rooms about vaccines.  It seems unfortunate that Omicron arrived to find an effectively unvaccinated population due to the government's insistence on sticking to their home made junk vaccines.

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

I wonder what discussions people in locked down China are having in their chat rooms about vaccines.  It seems unfortunate that Omicron arrived to find an effectively unvaccinated population due to the government's insistence on sticking to their home made junk vaccines.

They actually worked against severe illness, just not as well against infection as their western counterparts.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I think it's both, we are winning but we could see another more infectious version. I'm not sure if covid will be here forever because every other coronavirus has eventually petered out. The Spanish Flu did, as well as SARS and MERS. It may live on like the flue but as far as I understand (I don't know) the flu is a rhinovirus, not a coronavirus. H1N1 keeps coming back but I think they are disparate strains. I think 2 1/2 years is not long for a pandemic and we need to wait for the infections to die down rather than do a George and declare mission accomplished while infections are still rising in many places.

If learnign to live with it means ignoring it or doing nothing to mitigate it then I disagree. I now have 4 shots so I feel fairly safe but I'm still very willing to wear masks, get tested

I have a family member such as yourself, she'll probably wear a mask forever and if allowed would spit on non mask wearers. There's always something going on medically that doctors can never seem to cure, maybe because it's not real. And that's your choice to wear a mask, but you do realize the reason behind mask wearing, so thank you

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I have a family member such as yourself, she'll probably wear a mask forever and if allowed would spit on non mask wearers. There's always something going on medically that doctors can never seem to cure, maybe because it's not real. And that's your choice to wear a mask, but you do realize the reason behind mask wearing, so thank you

So long as we are on the same page about mask wearing, that it reduces infection markedly then all good.

A large, randomized trial led by researchers at Stanford Medicine and Yale University has found that wearing a surgical face mask over the mouth and nose is an effective way to reduce the occurrence of COVID-19 in community settings.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

10 hours ago, anchadian said:

Covid: Fourth-dose jab trial shows good boost

Fourth-dose Covid booster vaccines increase protection against Covid-19, particularly in people aged over 70, according to a UK trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61384269

I'm not anywhere near that age but I do have an underlying condition that puts me at risk so I'll be looking for another booster next week if I can.

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So long as we are on the same page about mask wearing, that it reduces infection markedly then all good.

A large, randomized trial led by researchers at Stanford Medicine and Yale University has found that wearing a surgical face mask over the mouth and nose is an effective way to reduce the occurrence of COVID-19 in community settings.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

So, you're with a group of people, you're the only one wearing a mask. Doesn't that sort of defeat your purpose?

On a lighter note, there are reports that a man in Germany received 90 vaccine shots as part of a nefarious scheme to produce fake vaccination certificates, with no apparent ill effects (a web search shows lots of links to story). I’d guess that 90 times the recommended dose of many common drugs would prove fatal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If learnign to live with it means ignoring it or doing nothing to mitigate it then I disagree. I now have 4 shots so I feel fairly safe but I'm still very willing to wear masks, get tested.

Great answer!

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not sure if covid will be here forever because every other coronavirus has eventually petered out. The Spanish Flu did, as well as SARS and MERS. It may live on like the flue but as far as I understand (I don't know) the flu is a rhinovirus, not a coronavirus.

This isn't accurate. Of the seven coronaviruses that are known cause disease in humans, there's only one that has completely disappeared - that's SARS-CoV-1.

The four coronaviruses that cause common colds, plus MERS (and of course SARS-CoV-2) are all still around.

So if we're going by the history of them overall, there seems to be more chance that this coronavirus will stick around, than that it won't.

Also, the flu is not a rhinovirus. Influenza viruses are members of the family Orthomyxoviridae.

Influenza Virus

Rhinoviruses are just one of the families of viruses that causes the common cold.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1