Can Thailand afford not to host a Formula One Grand Prix?

webfact

2 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Like all events it is a long term investment.

Sepang on line 1 for you.

Along with a gazilion other venues, which hosted F1 races and have been relegated to the bin.

Based on the Miami and Las Vegas deals, it's a ten (10) year commitment.

Miami took five years to negotiate.

The LV promoters dropped $240 million just for land for the paddock.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Bangkok and Pattaya have a complete lack of track.

Bangkok and Pattaya are not on the cards.

Chonburi Motorsport Park was to be grade 2.... thats would be the only thing to bring a race to Thailand, get that project back on track (boom tish) and build it to grade 1 specs.

https://www.apexcircuitdesign.com/experience/chonburi-motor-park

Sri Racha isn't so far away from Pattaya. 

Malaysia couldn't even make it work despite all the money Petronas pumped into it. Tickets were just to expensive for the locals and they lost interest after a few years. I used to go every season and sit on the back straight for 600 MYR with the pre booked 50% early bird special. Last few years it was held i used to just buy tickets from the touts - they were nearly always Petronas hospitality tickets - so it got to the point they couldn't give them away. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, warrima said:

Malaysia couldn't even make it work

And Singapore puts on an amazing show. A full week of racing and entertainment.

Anything thailand could cobble together would pale in comparison. OK, to be honest, it would be a dumpster fire.

Yes. I know hiso thais have Singapore-envy.

It is a one-off event that will boost the coffers but will have little effect long term on the economy. Yes, the cost of hotels and food will rise for that period but the government needs a longer term development solution. Formular 1 is just one piece of the jigsaw.

24 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Like all events it is a long term investment.

Long term loser, more like.

The Australian Grand Prix has been run at Albert Park in Victoria since 1996. Victorian taxpayers are still subsidizing it 26 years later.

It's been a great long-term investment for Bernie Ecclestone, he's made billions.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And Singapore puts on an amazing show. A full week of racing and entertainment.

Agree but Singapore is an anomaly in SEA - with individual net worth on a par with the west. Malaysian is a fairer comparison to LOS. That said even Singapore considered dropping it when their initial contract expired a few years ago. Its funded up to 60% by the government. They can afford it. 

I love F1 but that show in Miami was a farce. 

Yeah! I'd go for sure. I'm not a mad-crazy F1 fan but I/we  go to races occasionally in different places (Abu Dhabi, Melbourne, Monaco) here and there and enjoy them a lot.

Saw the Leclerc brake failure crash in Monaco 2018, pretty high drama, ... what an atmosphere! 

I think it would be a great thing, but there'd have to be a purpose built track as no road-race circuit can be found in Bangkok or any where else in Thailand. A night race would be interesting?

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

If Thailand has a realistic chance to attract the Formula Grand, they will need to find a new location away from the countryside, possibly in Bangkok or even Pattaya way to keep the Soi Dogs off the track.

They would soon disappear, same they do at Songkhran ????????

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I'm sure the owners of Red Bull will be in favour.

I wonder if a certain “Boss” could slip in and out of Thailand to watch without the RTP realizing?

”Oh we didn’t know he was coming, nobody told us” ....or we couldn’t see him from behind the pile of brown envelopes on our desk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The roads in Thailand are already a F1 circuit.... road racing you can see every day

Yep. And for months before and after such an event kids will be emulating the sport everywhere. These people need no further incentives to fast and dangerous driving.

A new wave of 'brake failure' and pedestrian deaths coming?

I've never been fascinated by cars or bikes racing around in circles for hours though; seems like watching paint dry to me. Of course drying paint seldom features fiery explosions, which is the real draw to such events as road circuit races.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Till they may these races compete on a figure 8 track, I aint watching this boring monotonous, repetitive, drivel. 

F1 has to be the most boring Motor Sport in the World.

A high speed traffic jam at best.

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yep. And for months before and after such an event kids will be emulating the sport everywhere. These people need no further incentives to fast and dangerous driving.

And its just not in Thailand.

Back in the UK, there used to e a rash of high speed accidents, in close proximity to, and immediately after many Rally Stages, where the spectators used to try and emulate their Heroes

And not just on the big events like the WRC

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

In the same way that Vietnam never happened, I cannot see thailand making this happen: too much corruption sadly. 

Good point. That was an amazing volte face where the corruption that helped create the Hanoi F1 circuit resulted in the whole thing being dropped before 2021 after Covid caused the cancellation of the inaugural event in 2020.

Not your typical Tilkedrome either and think I I read that it would have the fastest 'straight', if not on the Asian circuit but of the whole F1 calendar.

It's been built already so they have a head start on Buriram or the less likely Bangkok street circuit that was touted in the past.

Although the Vietnamese politburo may be a bit reticent about re-opening something that was built on criminality, right now they are as hungry for the tourist dollar as any other SE Asian nation and I would prefer Hanoi to Miami if only for the time zone.

hanoiF1.jpg.875c9d429c64162dacc68b48baf95bfa.jpg

I think it's high time that the Red Bull heir should have his playground in Thailand.

And in addition there is another one you used to drive his blue Porsche in Bavaria. 

With a New formula one course he might be seen there.????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

I'm not sure what it is that you find pleasing about tracks that look like that number in particular, but you're in luck as F1 does in fact have a race just for you.

9th October, Suzuka.

Jay Clay the number is very important and it has to be a true figure 8 no overpass.

What makes a figure 8 great is the middle of the eight.

Imagine Asoke Suk with no traffic lights or signs with cars going 120 kmh

7 hours ago, Excel said:

He is actually British/Thai as his Father is English. He was born in the UK so hence automatically became British at birth prior to him being registered as Thai by his Mother. And I'm not sure with his Thai Mother having served a 7 year sentence for fraud in the UK would be a good reason to use him as a reason for a Thai GP although of course even convicted criminals get ministerial posts in Thailand so maybe I am wrong.

Why is there always somebody to drag up the dirt, and bring people down, 

Alex , the young fellow is doing really well, everyone on the F1 circuit will tell you he is a nice guy,,   had the chance to meet him , and he is very open to his fans 

its not his fault what happened when he was a kid.  !! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Excel said:

He is actually British/Thai as his Father is English. He was born in the UK so hence automatically became British at birth prior to him being registered as Thai by his Mother. And I'm not sure with his Thai Mother having served a 7 year sentence for fraud in the UK would be a good reason to use him as a reason for a Thai GP although of course even convicted criminals get ministerial posts in Thailand so maybe I am wrong.

Born in England, grew up in England, educated in England, got all his chances at motor racing in England. 

Races for Thailand.

Ungrateful wretch.

• Like 1