Water for cooking.

Kiwithl

We always drink bottled water, usually from the big blue bottles.

Just read another thread here about dirt etc in the piped in tap water from the mains. We get some dirt build up in toilets and cisterns so it is visible. Also have killed some cheap aquarium fish using tap water. They're ok with bottled water.

It has occured to me in the past that all our cooking water for rice, soup, veges etc is the tap water. I suppose I should insist on using the blue bottled water.

What water do you lot use for cooking?

Depend where you live, where the tap water comes from. Our condo tap water in Pattaya appears clean, comes from pattaya reservoir, the storage tanks on the roof are cleaned once a year. Use it for cooking, clean teeth etc. (no upset stomachs etc)

I have friends who drink the local tap water.

Edited by Peterw42

We use tap water for cleaning teeth too. When my brother visited pre covid he always used bottled water as his dr told him to and as I sometimes did when travelling, a long time ago.

We're rural small town so not city cleanliness standards. Only 500m from the PWA. At yai's in the village we drilled a bore. The tap water there was visibly dirty coming out of the tap.

Our tap water is pumped from The Mekong.

Our blue bottled drinking water is pumped from The Mekong.

I doubt it's filtered sufficiently to get rid of all the pesticides etc from upstream...

But I am not convinced the supermarket water is much better.

Drinking water, ARO (Makro) 6L jugs @ 29 baht now, up over 10% from last month.

Cooking, tap via 3 stage filter.

To the OP, never use tap for aquariums.  Fish really don't care for chlorinated water, especially the inconsistent levels that you'll find in Thai's tap water.  

Edited by Jotnar

7 minutes ago, Kiwithl said:

We use tap water for cleaning teeth too. When my brother visited pre covid he always used bottled water as his dr told him to and as I sometimes did when travelling, a long time ago.

We're rural small town so not city cleanliness standards. Only 500m from the PWA. At yai's in the village we drilled a bore. The tap water there was visibly dirty coming out of the tap.

Our tap water is pumped from The Mekong.

Our blue bottled drinking water is pumped from The Mekong.

I doubt it's filtered sufficiently to get rid of all the pesticides etc from upstream...

But I am not convinced the supermarket water is much better.

Best way to get rid of pesticides is to install an activated carbon filter.

31 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

For cooking we only use the big blue bottles, is this water OK? I don't know, I have a shop next door that sell it 17thb/bottle. We only drink bottles water from store 3 12 pks/100 thb

Tap water we use for washing veggies and then a second rinse with bottled water.

Big blue 5 gallon bottles is the cheapest after rainwater. And avoids plastic waste by recycling the bottles.

We never use tap/deep well water for cooking.

Tap water for washing, shower, brush teeth and the like.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have this under the sink 3 stages water filter and i tell you that when i change the filters every 6 months those filters especially the first ceramic one is full of mud and grime, so good luck for anyone who drinks water from the tap...

8 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

tap water......nowt wrong with it for cooking.......

That depends.  Run it through a filter, as what ever is in it, will be absorbed when cooking pasta or rice.  If I'm not going to drink it, I prefer not to eat it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

That depends.  Run it through a filter, as what ever is in it, will be absorbed when cooking pasta or rice.  If I'm not going to drink it, I prefer not to eat it.

I'm not fooling myself that restaurants only use purified water for cooking, but I do.

Tap water for washing dishes or bathing only. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jotnar said:

To the OP, never use tap for aquariums.  Fish really don't care for chlorinated water, especially the inconsistent levels that you'll find in Thai's tap water.  

If you leave the water in an open bucket for ~24 hours the chlorine comes out and it is safe to use in your aquarium. 

• Like 1

I have the following on the kitchen faucet for cooking water.

wf3.jpg.5b4773fad135854fa84d5ce434748105.jpg

And these on the wet bar and the master ensuite faucets.

wf2.jpg.37ef97facc023f674fcdac250cd74fd3.jpg

Change the filters every 4 to 6 months.

NB: Generic pictures of dual and triple water filter units. Cost between 1200 and 3000 baht depending on brand and where you buy them.

Edited by NanLaew

Bottled water for everything.

I do wash produce in tap water, but then sometimes rinse it with bottled.

The discussion does raise an issue I hadn't thought about - that all restaurant soups must be using tap water.

Hopefully they have a filtration system (well, some of them).

Edited by JimmyJ

6 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Bottled water for everything.

I do wash produce in tap water, but then sometimes rinse it with bottled.

The discussion does raise an issue I hadn't thought about - that all restaurant soups must be using tap water.

Hopefully they have a filtration system (well, some of them).

I run a hotel - all of our water for cooking is bottled. The water we use (filtered tap water)  for cleaning veggies also has a food safe agent added.

It would have to be very very local places using tap water

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1