State of Emergency

sambum

I was checking to see if the State of Emergency is still in operation in Thailand, and was not surprised in the least to see that it is.

What did surprise me was that it has been extended 17 (SEVENTEEN!) times! 

The current extension is until 31st May, and presumably will be extended yet again, or is the PM being pressurised into repealing it as part of the "complete reopening" of the country?

I have my own opinions as to the reason for all these extensions, but I would be interested to see other readers "Points of View" on this matter.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

What did surprise me was that it has been extended 17 (SEVENTEEN!) times! 

Folks in the restive south will see your seventeen times (at 60 days per) with 65+ extensions (a 3 months per), bringing you an Emergency Decree since July, 2005.

I assume they'll decide on this at this week's CCSA meeting? They've been announcing COVOD decree extensions ~ two weeks before the current one expires.

And I think they'll extend again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I have my own opinions as to the reason for all these extensions, but I would be interested to see other readers "Points of View" on this matter.

Not that they need it, but the COVID Emergency Decree gives the regime an extra layer of legal protection, allowing them to issue orders, declarations, proclamations and rules, without fear of future consequences (think future health issues from hastily approved vaccines or treatments, for one example). And it prevents any criticism, scrutiny by the press or public. Sure a few pesky opposition MPs speak up now and then.

Preventing public gatherings is a side-benefit; but those can be controlled without an emergency decree.

Edited by mtls2005

Got an acquaintance in Phuket who said  cops everywhere and they are enforcing the no mask rules.  He got stopped on his motorbike and was told 20,000 b fine. He said he settled it for less.

Not many obeying in Pattaya bars and restaurants back to normal it seems places packed not following the decree requirements.

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Not that they need it, but the COVID Emergency Decree gives the regime an extra layer of legal protection, allowing them to issue orders, declarations, proclamations and rules, without fear of future consequences (think future health issues from hastily approved vaccines or treatments, for one example). And it prevents any criticism, scrutiny by the press or public. Sure a few pesky opposition MPs speak up now and then.

Preventing public gatherings is a side-benefit; but those can be controlled without an emergency decree.

Better to have them all under the same "umbrella"!

5 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

My money is on 'yes'.

? "Yes" to the further extension or "Yes"to it being repealed, or are you just hedging your bets? ???? 

Bit like me asking my Thai Mrs whether she would like a drink of tea or coffee, and she answers "Yes!"

Edited by sambum

2 hours ago, sambum said:

? "Yes" to the further extension or "Yes"to it being repealed, or are you just hedging your bets? ???? 

The current extension is until 31st May, and presumably will be extended yet again (...)

My money is on 'yes'.

Not clear??

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The current extension is until 31st May, and presumably will be extended yet again (...)

My money is on 'yes'.

Not clear??

I believe it is clear now, but my original questions were:-

"The current extension is until 31st May, and presumably will be extended yet again, or is the PM being pressurised into repealing it as part of the "complete reopening" of the country?"

To which you replied "My money is on "yes".

However, now you have made yourself clear - I agree with you, and I also think that there will be yet another extension.

17 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Anyone who thinks that there will not be an extension (s) is surely as delusional as Cha Cha.

You are surely correct, but with what (logical/believable) justification?

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Got an acquaintance in Phuket who said  cops everywhere and they are enforcing the no mask rules.  He got stopped on his motorbike and was told 20,000 b fine. He said he settled it for less.

Not many obeying in Pattaya bars and restaurants back to normal it seems places packed not following the decree requirements.

Masks have never been required in bars or restaurants in Pattaya - you can't eat or drink with a mask on but masks are worn in malls, shops  offices, buildings , outside and transport- by most people 95%

7 hours ago, sambum said:

You are surely correct, but with what (logical/believable) justification?

Cha Cha has a military education...left, right, left, right.... march.

Logic and justification for Emergency Decree is not understood.

Only "Respect My Authoritah".

TIT.

17 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

dirty filthy infested farangs!

Damn right!

Time to round up all the undesirables. ????

The unspoken Disappeared policy is secretly in place. ????

Beware. Filty disconnected Farang. ????

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Damn right!

Time to round up all the undesirables. ????

The unspoken Disappeared policy is secretly in place. ????

Beware. Filty disconnected Farang. ????

how about marketing for tourism--free soapies on arrival at swampy!!!!! freshy farangs!!!