Allegedly drunken foreigner gets into car crash with famous Thai ex-convict Youtubers in Pattaya area

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The two were well-known ex-convicts and Youtubers

Long lost friends reunite. 

Wow, I thought it was just the freelance ladies heading back home after a hard day's work on the roads that hour of the morning. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Panuwat’s statement, he was waiting for a green light at the intersection when he suddenly heard a car brake behind him and got crashed in the rear by a pickup behind him. When he exited the car, he saw that Yee Hoi Wong, whom he claimed seemed heavily drunk, was the one who caused the accident, crashing into two other vehicles.

Or aka.. "Yee got it wong"

A sedan? Who trains these reporters to use such inappropriate,  archaic English?

sedan chair: [noun] a covered chair that is carried on poles by two people and that was used in the past for carrying a passenger through the streets of a city.

I know it's an American  car model  but have  never heard the term used in real life conversations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A sedan? Who trains these reporters to use such inappropriate,  archaic English?

sedan chair: [noun] a covered chair that is carried on poles by two people and that was used in the past for carrying a passenger through the streets of a city.

I know it's an American  car model  but have  never heard the term used in real life conversations.

Sedans and that word have been around for ages, as a kid we would say 4 door sedan or 2 door sedan. Probably not used so much to day as people would say that is a hatch back or that is a 4 door or 2 door dropping the sedan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Those typically inappropriate and archaic Americans use the term the time!

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Those typically inappropriate and archaic Americans use the term the time!

But I watch American TV and read American  literature  and rarely see  it used just as  British  people rarely  talk about saloon  cars especially  in newspaper reports. It's silly, inappropriate terminology- it's overly  formal as is a lot of language used by non native  speakers. It just reads a bonkers to me and I read many international  newspapers everyday and never see it used except here in the Thai carnage reports.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Sedans and that word have been around for ages, as a kid we would say 4 door sedan or 2 door sedan. Probably not used so much to day as people would say that is a hatch back or that is a 4 door or 2 door dropping the sedan

Or just don't describe  the model in an accident report unless the model  of the  car was a contributory factor. Sedan is an outdated Americanism and young reporters needs educations as to the  appropriacy of language styles. Sedan adds nothing  to the report and is rarely  used in modern  parlance

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The term Sedan is very commonly used in ‘American English’. Using 'English-English’ the term ‘saloon’ (car) would be used. 

It just means a 4 door car with a separate boot (trunk) as opposed to a 4x4 or a hatch-back, or estate (as one of the 4 basic shapes of road cars).

I've never heard or seen  it used in decades except in the  Thai  visa accident  reports.  Its like calling a bus an omnibus !

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

In North America, "sedan" is a current term to describe a type of car i.e. a car with a separate trunk (boot) as opposed to a hatchback. Used all the time.

It is what is called in thai a "rot geng".

Thank you. I know what a sedan is. My issue it's use in an accident report where  the model is irrelevant.

I feel the term is also outdated and in reality rarely used being specifically an old marketing  device  to promote 'saloon' cars under another name.

Unless the make and model  of the car contributed to the  accident the information  is extraneous- the fact sedan is an early  asian form of handheld transport is another issue. I find the use anomalous  and a sure sign of odd non native speaker  English.

I did not know about 'rot geng' which I am going to use at the first suitable  occasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I've never heard or seen  it used in decades except in the  Thai  visa accident  reports.  Its like calling a bus an omnibus !

Are you American? As used all he time in US.

Common terminology on sites renting or selling cars. For examle:

https://www.toyota.com/4-door-sedans/

Agreed, model has nothing to do with the crash, but the usage is fine and modern, at least in North American English.

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you. I know what a sedan is. My issue it's use in an accident report where  the model is irrelevant.

I feel the term is also outdated and in reality rarely used being specifically an old marketing  device  to promote 'saloon' cars under another name.

Unless the make and model  of the car contributed to the  accident the information  is extraneous- the fact sedan is an early  asian form of handheld transport is another issue. I find the use anomalous  and a sure sign of odd non native speaker  English.

I did not know about 'rot geng' which I am going to use at the first suitable  occasion.

ser, please take it up with the author of the piece...

https://thepattayanews.com/author/aimtpn4973/

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But I watch American TV and read American  literature  and rarely see  it used just as  British  people rarely  talk about saloon  cars especially  in newspaper reports. It's silly, inappropriate terminology- it's overly  formal as is a lot of language used by non native  speakers. It just reads a bonkers to me and I read many international  newspapers everyday and never see it used except here in the Thai carnage reports.

Perhaps it's a Thaivisa admin/OP thing,  just as they like to mockingly refer to the RTP as "the constabulary", a term that hasn't been in common use since the 1800s!

5 hours ago, moe666 said:

We say:"Where did you park the car?"

We don't say: "Where did you park the two door?"

In common  usage we rarely refer to the  make or model.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps it's a Thaivisa admin/OP thing,  just as they like to mockingly refer to the RTP as "the constabulary", a term that hasn't been in common use since the 1800s!

No. Thats disguising a 4 letter Anglo obscenity within a word.. rather like "see you on tuesday"

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We say:"Where did you park the car?"

We don't say: "Where did you park the two door?"

In common  usage we rarely refer to the  make or model.

I understand what you are saying but we Aussies like the word sedan. 

If a friend of mine was buying a car, I would ask if it was a sedan or wagon or, a sedan or ute or, a coupe or sedan. 

Yes, I like the word sedan. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In North America, "sedan" is a current term to describe a type of car i.e. a car with a separate trunk (boot) as opposed to a hatchback. Used all the time.

It is what is called in thai a "rot geng".

why not just call it a car ????

The term sedan is quite common in Australia, especially when a particular make of car had several versions.  For example the XC Falcon came in a Sedan (4 door car) 2 door fast back (GT), The ute and the Panel Van...