Outrage over Thai public school that forces kindergarten students to wear military uniforms

webfact

7 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

What better way to control governemnt officials, force them to wear uniforms.

Correct.

The govt "official" then exercises their control by photocopying ID cards and/or mindlessly scrolling through passports, bankbooks etc.

Free thinking is not permitted (unless brown envelope offered).

• Like 1

This violates a law published a few years ago which makes it an offense for military pattern camouflage garments to be worn by non-military personnel and for those selling them. Oh wait! This is Thailand, the hub of non-enforcers. I bet the kids will not be permitted to vape, play darts or bridge or wear protective helmets.

• Like 1

My daughter attends a non government school in the North and she has four outfits including a sports day and a traditional which I think is quite attractive.

I also see the older children wearing other types including girl guides etc.

For government schools I understand the uniforms are provided so at least they are all the same and the more affluent kids don’t turn up in designer label clothes.

For adults what’s the difference with Western Countries, Banks, Airlines large stores, couriers and many government employees, police emergency workers hospital staff etc.

Females have told me in the past they prefer a uniform so they don’t have to buy their own clothes and make a decision what to wear.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Females have told me in the past they prefer a uniform so they don’t have to buy their own clothes and make a decision what to wear.

Really? You discuss women's fashion choices, and their "reasoning", with a lot of government employees? That seems skeevy to me, unless you looking for advice. Does this topic just pop up? Do you broach this subject?

Or are you talking about CosPlay? 

Judging solely on recent observations at Immigration/Chaeng Watthana, nearly of the females would disagree with you.

(Maybe it was casual Tuesday, and Thursday when I recently visited?)

Edited by mtls2005
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, thais are quick to point out that the DPRK and thai educations systems have much in common.

https://prachatai.com/english/node/4495

Thank goodness thai school administrators don't load the toddlers up with medals.

I think civil service uniforms are fine for adults. Maybe needed to convey the hierarchy/rank?

BGcuGmcCAAEKSkf.jpg

Thinking these guys have their own 20 baht shops.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

My daughter attends a non government school in the North and she has four outfits including a sports day and a traditional which I think is quite attractive.

I also see the older children wearing other types including girl guides etc.

For government schools I understand the uniforms are provided so at least they are all the same and the more affluent kids don’t turn up in designer label clothes.

For adults what’s the difference with Western Countries, Banks, Airlines large stores, couriers and many government employees, police emergency workers hospital staff etc.

Errrrr....I think there is a difference in "uniform" here.

The clue is in the military look-a-like uniforms complete with medals, ribbons, badges and whistles.

All designed to demand, not earn respect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I guess it keeps the 20 Baht stores ticking over selling medals and ribbons.

No wonder every uniform wearer in this country seems to have a paratrooper badge attached to their garb. I also guess they are cheaper if you buy them by the dozen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The four uniforms for kindergarten students at the school include a normal uniform for Monday and Tuesday, a physical education uniform for Wednesday, a soldier uniform for Thursday and an ASEAN uniform for Friday.

Cha - Ching for the school. They will of course supply said 'uniforms'.  ????

52 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Are you referring to the government employees wearing military style uniforms?

I can understand what you are saying.

It's just that I haven't seen it in other nations.

Do other nations have civilian employees in government wear military uniforms?

Yes, China, North Korea et al.  ????

Not only government workers..

Pre covid, My Wife was employed at one of Pattaya 's large entertainment venue's,  it was not a uniform as such, but all the staff employed there were told  what color Shirt, Skirt, Trousers  to wear on any  particular day,  i told her wear what u like, she replied she would lose her job if she did that

• Like 2

The Thai military is not only an extremely toxic organization, but in addition to that, they do very little to benefit Thai society. They are like a vampire sucking the blood of society. They have enormous budgets, and where that money goes in anyone's guess. Where were they when we needed the borders protected, at the height of covid? There used to be a small amount of prestige being associated with the military here. That is all gone now. They have lost whatever little bit of luster they once had, if they had any. Gone, baby gone. 

The people in charge of these schools should be punished for their foolishness, extreme convention, and lack of creativity. 

• Like 2