Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

On 5/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, simon43 said:

You're probably right.  Why should I, as their only customer, expect to be able to relax in a deckchair, buy their drink and not move their little plastic table?  I guess it's my white, colonial ideas.  Shame on me!

Shame on you indeed, it are hard times and you want everything for free. Then you have a big mouth if it doesn't go your way.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, ThailandRyan said:

It does take time after drinking the water from the coconut to eat the yummy white flesh from the inside does it not and 30 minutes as he says he does, is not lingering, or is it in your view.  So he should just guzzle and go....right?

No, pay for the chair and table if you want to use them. Otherwise drink and eat while you walk.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, pay for the chair and table if you want to use them. Otherwise drink and eat while you walk.

Sit on the kerb-side.... manhandle a tart out of her spot!

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2022 at 2:37 PM, Leaver said:

I gather you don't live here full time.  If / when you do, after a while, you might see things a little differently.

I'm retired and traveled South East Asia extensively as well. 

Different countries do different things, differently.  There are good and bad in all of them. 

Thailand might "beat them all" for you, but that doesn't mean others see it the same way.  It comes down to personal choice. 

not only for him it seems, but for most people who understand thing correctly, or Thailand wouldn't be the first place to retire in Asia for people with an inch of brain at least.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:21 PM, Leaver said:

How so?

For me, it's sad people spend their hard earned to come to Thailand for a holiday, only to get treated the way described in the OP, all across Thailand. 

no, they treat this way only the idiot looking ones, I have never been cheated or treated wrongly anywhere in 20 years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vidgra said:

not only for him it seems, but for most people who understand thing correctly, or Thailand wouldn't be the first place to retire in Asia for people with an inch of brain at least.

Question is, can Thailand maintain its status of being "the first place to retire in Asia?"

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, bod said:

@simon43

I thought you had moved to Madagascar? You were quite enthousiastic about it at that time. Did it disappoint you?

How can you even imagine that he knows where he is living...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:51 PM, Bruno123 said:

Beach mat vendors have done exactly this. Now hundreds of people sitting on mats at the beach.

In other news; groups taking those chairs along with their own umbrellas in their pickups to sit on the beach.

Can you see a native group of four paying 400 baht to sit on some deckchairs whilst paying a premium for food and drink? 

They need to wean themselves off from the rip-off of foreigners. Hard to do I guess when so many people profit from it.

yep we are a family of 4 go to the beach near our home 2 -3 times a week take the pick up large mat fold up chairs and table all set up in 2 minutes where we want to sit = save 800 baht more comfortable.. buy food from street vendors move as we want no rip off 100 per chair job done..

• Haha 1

Two friends of mine sat in deck chairs on Pattaya Beach today. They reported that the deck chairs are still only 40 baht per person and it is the nicer lounge plastic ones that are 100 baht, so that in fact means the price is the same as 3 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, bmanly said:

Two friends of mine sat in deck chairs on Pattaya Beach today. They reported that the deck chairs are still only 40 baht per person and it is the nicer lounge plastic ones that are 100 baht, so that in fact means the price is the same as 3 years ago.

yes confirmed, nowhere a chair is 100

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, bmanly said:

The deck chairs may still be only 40 baht, but moving the table is 60 baht extra.  ???? 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:50 PM, simon43 said:

[quote]

But then again, foreigners are normally just passing through and are gone within days, maybe weeks. Retaining the few that stay longer is maybe just not worth the effort.

[/quote]

Given the dire economic straits that Pattaya is in right now, and seeing the abysmal number of foreign tourists in the town, retaining the favour of those few tourists/expats who do want to relax in a deckchair with a nice coconut drink, and not be <deleted> about by the vendor, would probably be a smart move.

But then again, good marketing and customer service is probably not their strong point ????

You being tight and want all the comfort and refuse to pay for it, isn't helping the local people to make some money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:03 PM, bod said:

@simon43

I thought you had moved to Madagascar? You were quite enthousiastic about it at that time. Did it disappoint you?

It did not disappoint me - I have never been to Madagascar!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

It did not disappoint me - I have never been to Madagascar!

next trip after coming here again whining about how bad Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar are (as well as the beach chairs coconut sellers...)  !

????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bangkokstick said:

next trip after coming here again whining about how bad Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar are (as well as the beach chairs coconut sellers...)  !

????

Is he whining, or just putting forward what awaits tourist when they return? 

What would a first time tourist think about the same experience? 

27 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

A first time tourist would be smart enough to pay 40 baht for the deck chair for the entire day and buy a coconut for 40 baht and take as long as they like to drink it

OP created his own "attention seeking" drama with his strange 100 baht deal

In a ( Coco ) nutshell. ????.  I'm always surprised at how some seemingly intelligent people, friends included, over-complicate the simplest of transactions or tasks and end up with unnecessary avoidable hassle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kinyara said:

In a ( Coco ) nutshell. ????.  I'm always surprised at how some seemingly intelligent people, friends included, over-complicate the simplest of transactions or tasks and end up with unnecessary avoidable hassle. 

Is bartering a French word? 

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Is bartering a French word? 

Waving of arms, raised voices, much shoulder shrugging, "Ooh la, la's", pained facial expressions, but ultimately disappointment. You might be onto something there.

Edited by kinyara
Addition
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 12:14 PM, robblok said:

Simon,

I get your frustration but just because they have no clients does not mean no minimum price. I mean sure they would probably make more on the short term. But on the long term it might kill their profits as people will expect cheap prices.

Sometimes its best not to sell yourself too cheap otherwise you get exploited.

Good points well made. Apart from that, consider that during low season when the OP was enjoying the life of Riley, the deckchair operators weren't getting it in the neck from the flunkies from City Hall that enforce regulations and city ordinances. They were thankful for any customer.

Roll on this long overdue 'high-season', or whatever the city fathers vainly label the post-Covid return of tourists, it's very conceivable that the flunkies have come down en-masse from City Hall and laid down new rules regarding the amount of chairs, their spacing, the amount of customers as well as demanding their inevitable kick-backs for allowing the  vendors the privilege of a beach chair concession.

The sharks aren't all in the sea.

Edited by NanLaew

I think this a classic example of......no customers..... so bump up the price of beer up from 80 baht to 120 baht.......

Now the odd customer is returning to the beach they are going to screw you for every satang they can in order to make up for two years lost revenue.

• Confused 1