Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

2 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Ironically, that's not a bad thing. Lol

How so?

For me, it's sad people spend their hard earned to come to Thailand for a holiday, only to get treated the way described in the OP, all across Thailand. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Fast forward 5 years, which country will be attracting tourists with real money to spend? 

Vietnam.

And quite right too. We don't want Thailand becoming a destination high-so tourists and ruining it for the local farang.

Anyone fancy paying 250 for a <deleted> local beer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How so?

For me, it's sad people spend their hard earned to come to Thailand for a holiday, only to get treated the way described in the OP, all across Thailand. 

Let the locals shoot themselves in the foot if they want to. Up to them.

Anyway, you wanna pay a fortune for your food, drink, transport, massage, attractions, etc etc?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Vietnam.

And quite right too. We don't want Thailand becoming a destination high-so tourists and ruining it for the local farang.

Anyone fancy paying 250 for a <deleted> local beer?

I see the point in your humor, but "money go down, put price up" means we all have a vested interest in seeing a thriving tourism industry here, not to mention it's a thriving tourism industry that allows us choice and variety, and availability of all things farang. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Anyway, you wanna pay a fortune for your food, drink, transport, massage, attractions, etc etc?

We already are, compared to Vietnam. 

28 baht beers in an air conditioned bar that's equivalent to a GC here.  ???? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

I am fairly confident that speaking Thai for almost 20 years (and reading and writing for the same length of time), having learnt it to MA level at Chula (blah blah blah), they understand me perfectly!  Unless of course, they are Burmese, in which case I will speak with them in Burmese, or Lao if they are from Laos, or French (but I highly doubt that they are French!).  My Thai language abilities seem to have worked OK as a teacher of Thai for kids in China and as a police volunteer translator for 12 years.  (I could go on and on, but it's getting boring for both myself and other posters to read about my language abilities!!).

Anyway, there is no more frustration.  I simply stopped giving them my business and sit in a bar across the road and drink my fixed price coconut juice/seat ????

Possibly you make my point. (Which was not that you were not understood).

As you say, you are "fairly confident".

12 hours ago, LarrySR said:

My ‘thrifty’ neighbor says he pays 300bt and even deducted 60bt to pay for a razor at 7/11 to trim the nasty bush. 

I’ve seen them and to be honest, I think he overpays. 

Would that be back to his own room, her room or what? Simply cannot imagine anyone like that paying for a room too. I read somewhere the coconut bar girls were back asking 2000 for a ST, which is far far removed from the prices your neighbor seeks. 

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

That's a personal choice. 

Yes it is. I am retired and have travelled extensively throughout S/E/Asia, Thailand beats them all and that is why I chose Thailand and Pattaya for this upcoming long trip.

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Would that be back to his own room, her room or what? Simply cannot imagine anyone like that paying for a room too. I read somewhere the coconut bar girls were back asking 2000 for a ST, which is far far removed from the prices your neighbor seeks. 

In his room of course. Very hot room...air con is out of the question..It's not too hot in there I guess, as he goes on the hunt at 4AM and finds one that is really wasted or sleeping on the footpath.

He cuts his own hair, ferments his own alcohol and cooks on an open fire to save electric.  
Ya know, a typical budget Pattaya tourist. 

Edited by LarrySR

2 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

In his room of course. Very hot room...air con is out of the question..

He cuts his own hair, ferments his own alcohol and cooks on an open fire to save electric.  

In his own room? He will burn the building down one day!

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

Anyway, there is no more frustration.  I simply stopped giving them my business and sit in a bar across the road and drink my fixed price coconut juice/seat ????

That's what I would do too. I often go to the Poker Bar near soi 8 and have a couple of beers looking out at the water and watch the sun set and the world go by and it comes with a free seat too. ????️

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

In his own room? He will burn the building down one day!

He's not burning charcoal.

It's a nice fire on the ground outside made from scrap building materials or tree branches he finds along the way. Probably cooking dead fish he finds washed up on the beach.

• Haha 2

A couple of inflammatory troll posts also long winded bickering post has been removed, stay on topic and quit the bickering all the time no one wants to read it.

7 hours ago, bmanly said:

Yes it is. I am retired and have travelled extensively throughout S/E/Asia, Thailand beats them all and that is why I chose Thailand and Pattaya for this upcoming long trip.

I gather you don't live here full time.  If / when you do, after a while, you might see things a little differently.

I'm retired and traveled South East Asia extensively as well. 

Different countries do different things, differently.  There are good and bad in all of them. 

Thailand might "beat them all" for you, but that doesn't mean others see it the same way.  It comes down to personal choice. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LarrySR said:

In his room of course. Very hot room...air con is out of the question..It's not too hot in there I guess, as he goes on the hunt at 4AM and finds one that is really wasted or sleeping on the footpath.

Ya know, a typical budget Pattaya tourist. 

Living the dream then.  Funny thing is, he's still here, whilst thousands of others have gone home broke.  ???? 

Edited by Leaver

On 5/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, ThailandRyan said:

If they are pulling up in new trucks then they are still only paying a max of 6k to 8k a month,

Average price for a decent 4x4 pickup (not bottom spec or top spec) is around 1 million.

At 8k a month it would take 10.5 years to pay off if there is zero interest.

No financial institution is giving loans over 10.5 years for a vehicle.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I gather you don't live here full time.  If / when you do, after a while, you might see things a little differently.

I'm retired and traveled South East Asia extensively as well. 

Different countries do different things, differently.  There are good and bad in all of them. 

Thailand might "beat them all" for you, but that doesn't mean others see it the same way.  It comes down to personal choice. 

So funny.... that you now admit that it's down to personal choice.  That people choose Thailand for what they perceive it offers them, rather than your suggestion of a cable car making a difference ???? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

So funny.... that you now admit that it's down to personal choice.  That people choose Thailand for what they perceive it offers them, rather than your suggestion of a cable car making a difference ???? 

As I have said, several times, it's personal choice.

You may be interested in these tourism statistics.  It's from Jan 2020, shortly before covid hit.

https://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international?txtkey=&year=2020&period=t1

From the link:

'International visitors to Viet Nam in 1/2020 estimated 1.994.125 arrivals, increase 16,6% over 12/2019 and up 32,8% over the same period last year. 2019. Total international arrivals in 1 months reached 1.994.125 arrivals, increasing 32,8% over the same period last year."

A 32.8% increase on the previous year. 

Is it possible, the saying "build it and they will come" is true, and if so, and again I ask, yet to receive a reply from anyone, including yourself, what has Thailand built for the benefit of tourists, and the tourism industry, in recent years? 

Fast forward 5 to 10 years from now, how much more tourism infrastructure would Vietnam have built, whilst Thailand still hasn't built anything.

Here's another.

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/six-more-airports-to-be-constructed-in-10-years/214064.vnp

From the link:

"Six new airports will be built in the next 10 years, raising the total number of airports in the country to 28, haft of which are international airports"

Thailand has 38 airports, 7 of them being international airports. 

So in 10 years, or less, Vietnam will have 14 international airports, and Thailand will still only have its 7, the same 7 it's had for decades. 

In a lot of ways, Thailand's tourism industry could go the way of the Nokia phone company.  They had such a huge market share that all they did was sit back and do nothing while there competition was developing, and they ultimately went broke.   If Thailand doesn't invest in its tourism industry, it very well may suffer the same fate as Nokia.  Currently, pre covid, all they were doing were targeting tourists from emerging economies to keep the numbers up. 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, BritManToo said:

I always assume people working streets and beaches are criminals waiting for their opportunity to prey on me. So far this assumption has never let me down.

May I suggest ....... 200bht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hy-8020-1-hayashi-i580390074-s6779242569.html

no head rest, its krap, except for someone who doesn't know that a headrest is really enjoyable and useful.

Edited by bangkokstick
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bangkokstick said:

This post could be posted by richard B !

next time I guess that you discover that a lot of cheese is made in Thailand ? And maybe complain about the price ?

This country really get the best of foreigners....

Buffalo cheese, perhaps. ???? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

No financial institution is giving loans over 10.5 years for a vehicle

You'd be surprised.

How else is your average Joe gonna afford a car?

I see people living near me in 'shacks' that have relatively new vehicles.....

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

You'd be surprised.

It's been like that for a ages. 

2001, I bought my first house, I was surprised how many 3M baht houses had 3M baht cars parked out the front. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Yes, if not a truck, likely a new PCX, which is  a pricey bike. I believe purchase plans are easily obtained on them, but 10 years......, I doubt they give much thought to the burden. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

You'd be surprised.

How else is your average Joe gonna afford a car?

Name me one in Thailand that will loan over 10+ years.

A quick ask around the office here and all the Thai's say longest term for a car is 7 years.

Yes they could all be wrong but I doubt it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Name me one in Thailand that will loan over 10+ years.

A quick ask around the office here and all the Thai's say longest term for a car is 7 years.

Yes they could all be wrong but I doubt it.

Ok, maybe it's 7......

• Haha 1

I've seen those broke  Cheap Charlie's on beach road - stained cargo shorts and Singha vests- tatty rubber sandals prowling for cheap short time waifs and strays- trying to get 300 baht short time from girls who are broke, addicted or hungry or all three but in fact there's lots of free seating available without them trying to get free  seating from the local businesses. But just imagine what the licensed beach vendors, after two hard years without any business, must be thinking, what they must be saying to each other if some scruffy wanderer, clutching his cheap drink repeatedly approaches your business
several days running, multiple times to argue with them about his right to avail himself  of their services  without paying or buying any food,  or drink and quite possibly driving other customers away. The mind boggles at the tin eared, insensitivity of thankfully, only a minority of entitled foreigners trying to live on the cheap at other people's  expense. It's a bit like when you see white beggars  in Thailand  and India competing with the locals. Its shocking- not just their actions but that THEY CAN'T SEE, CANT UNDERSTAND that what they're doing is shocking. Learn  the local customs, respect  the people, try and engender respect and be prepared to pay for food  drink and seating at beach hut restaurants. It's not actually free just incredibly cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I've seen those broke  Cheap Charlie's on beach road - stained cargo shorts and Singha vests- tatty rubber sandals prowling for cheap short time waifs and strays- trying to get 300 baht short time from girls who are broke, addicted or hungry or all three but in fact there's lots of free seating available without them trying to get free  seating from the local businesses. But just imagine what the licensed beach vendors, after two hard years without any business, must be thinking, what they must be saying to each other if some scruffy wanderer, clutching his cheap drink repeatedly approaches your business
several days running, multiple times to argue with them about his right to avail himself  of their services  without paying or buying any food,  or drink and quite possibly driving other customers away. The mind boggles at the tin eared, insensitivity of thankfully, only a minority of entitled foreigners trying to live on the cheap at other people's  expense. It's a bit like when you see white beggars  in Thailand  and India competing with the locals. Its shocking- not just their actions but that THEY CAN'T SEE, CANT UNDERSTAND that what they're doing is shocking. Learn  the local customs, respect  the people, try and engender respect and be prepared to pay for food  drink and seating at beach hut restaurants. It's not actually free just incredibly cheap.

Thats worthy of posting twice.!! 

• Haha 1