Condo neighbor noises

Hello folks, i live on a high rise condo. its a bid dad old one.

Im having issues with the noises my neighbor makes especially from the one upstairs.

Foot stomps, sound of some objects hitting the fllow, sliding chair noises, door slamming what not.

Ive actually went up and spoke to them (thai national), gave them the felts to stick on the back leg of their chairs  and requested please walk softly or kinly consider wearing slippas.

Since week has passed, seems them be more considerate but i could still hear da noises and its starting to annoy me to the heart.

ive tried ear plus, some <deleted>  white noises, but im constantly on the edge feeling like one step closer to the edge and im about to break.

Im on a year lease with 2 months deposit, so if i move now, 2 months (30k BAHT)rent be down the toilet.

• Sad 2

You could try to "drown" out the noise by playing some soft relaxing music, or buy a white noise machine, or use noise cancelling headphones in your place.

If/when you see the upstairs neighbors, use positive reinforcement and thank them and let them know it's a noticeable difference.

Edited by bbko

Maybe find out or ask someone to find out where exactly the noise comes from.

I don't think you would hear it in your apartment if people scratch a chair or walk, even with shoes, in the floor above you. Or to be more precise you won't hear it through the concrete floor/ceiling.

But maybe there is a water pipe shaft or something similar or a gap near the windows with a hole between the two floors. That's were sound can easily travel.

So maybe walk through your apartment and listen where you notice the noise most. Maybe in the bathroom or entrance or window, etc. And then maybe investigate further and/or ask the management.

36 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Tap a broom handle on your ceiling when you hear noise from above.

Ridiculous. You should not ever do that. It will just make your neighbours tense and do the same to you, especially if you ever see them. Idiotic thing to do. 

Also speak nicely; you have to live together.

What a silly suggestion ????

• Like 1

im actually moving tomorrow to a new room--on the TOP floor--id rather deal with heat than people above me--esp in LOS.....and is rainy season so should be cooler...

also i got a corner room as cut my noise changes down 50%....and thais usually prefer cooler lower rooms--fan rooms and less stairs......but also its thailand--noise is the culture sadly

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It could be the OP's sensitive nature. People have to move about, get over it. if you're noise sensitive you shouldn't live in a condo/

Thats me, and moving to Isan was a great choice. Only few neighbours in 350 meter range. Still hear one school, two temple and two village bosses in the distant, but can live with that ????

9 hours ago, Airalee said:

Odd that you can hear them walking in a concrete structure.  I’ve never known a Thai to not take their shoes off when entering their home.

The reason I also rent on the top floor is that Thais stomp around at all hours with no thought whatsoever for the victims in the room below

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Mickeem said:

Thais stomp around at all hours with no thought whatsoever for the victims in the room below

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Fiction. I don't hear any noise from my neighbor's condo even when they play loud music unless I go the balcony. Even fire alarms is faint noise. 

How do you know that they are playing loud music if you cannot hear it ?

village, i had something similar in my flat in london . concrete floors. the chairs made an awful scratching scrapping noise sound .

you could buy these or something similar and ask them nicely if they would cut them to shape and stick them to the bottom of the chairs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oak-Furniture-Adhesive-Floor-Protectors/dp/B005AVIWRW/ref=asc_df_B005AVIWRW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309785471682&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13610099417433599890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045939&hvtargid=pla-719455140901&psc=1

My wife's condo in Pattaya is exceedingly quiet. In fact I never know if the neighbours are home or not. Never hear music or people walking around. Just the occassional door slam and street noises (dog barking and sometimes a loud bike).

By contrast staying at the house up near Udon puts my nerves on edge. Its actually well outside the village but we still get the morning wake up call from the loudspeaker towers, music at all hours - carries several kms, dogs barking, roosters crowing. Not to mention the burning vegetation, plastic, rubber etc. And there is normally at least one internal combustion engine adding to the cacophony.  After a couple of weeks there I'm longing for the peace and serenity of our condo in Pattaya!

12 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im actually moving tomorrow to a new room--on the TOP floor--id rather deal with heat than people above me--esp in LOS.....and is rainy season so should be cooler...

Top floors of condos can come with their own set of problems. The lifts have their noisy/clunky machinery operating 24 hours a day located on the roof. Water tanks are often located on the roof as well and can cause leaking to the flats below. 2nd from the top would perhaps be a better choice? This is just advise passed on to me from my father who was Chief Building Surveyor (P.W.D.) for the Hong Kong Government for 26 years. If I was purchasing a condo these would be purchase considerations. Leasing; to a lesser extent.  

• Like 1

Difficult one, they dont seem to be doing anything overtly to cause to much noise just doing normal things. Sounds like their is poor insulation or you are sensitive to the noise. As others say, i think the only option is to move. If they were playing loud music or dancing all night it would be different, just sounds like poor insulation, not their fault either, they might experience the same as you from above as the people below you might from yourselves.

Seems moving to a better quality build is the best option or rent on the top floor somewhere.

13 hours ago, rbkk said:

Top floors of condos can come with their own set of problems. The lifts have their noisy/clunky machinery operating 24 hours a day located on the roof. Water tanks are often located on the roof as well and can cause leaking to the flats below. 2nd from the top would perhaps be a better choice? This is just advise passed on to me from my father who was Chief Building Surveyor (P.W.D.) for the Hong Kong Government for 26 years. If I was purchasing a condo these would be purchase considerations. Leasing; to a lesser extent.  

agreed my last place the water pump was thunking..luckily got fixed--no elevator here but always stay far from those too......also check for bars-clubs-dogs--construction..traffic--motorbikes(teens) parked in apt lot....get a room next to a single person not a couple--etc