Thailand Closely Monitoring Monkeypox Infections

snoop1130

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I want to come but am concerned about the cost of Monkeypox insurance.

Anyone know how much?

Never mind about the cost, the potential introduction of anal probes may be more off putting - or perhaps not for one group of people ????

7 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

PLease can you pay compensation for all those who lost their jobs. Hotels, tour business, guides, drivers,  airlines, pilots cabin crews, restaurants, service sector etc etc.  My staff will love you forever.

That's the point. My opinion of it isn't gonna somehow magically make it better or worse. It's not my problem, it's THAILAND'S problem. The stifling, disastrous and lengthy overreactions by this, and most countries, has been devastating and inexcusable. Still not my problem and because I've enjoyed the results has no magical influence. And doesn't change anything. Nor does the sorry Thai state of affairs and terrible economy change my view or my feeling. I've been supporting this economy for the better part of 30 years. Finally getting some return on investment again after more than a decade, especially with the weakness in the bulletproof baht.

BTW...I know a Thai Airways trolley dolly who lost her job. I do compensate her for her "Smooth As Silk" services. ???? ????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Why does that make non-hetero partners more at risk than hetero? If they're all having equal amounts of sex.

I can't give a definitive answer, but I think it widely known that many of the people in that community are more likely to have anonymous sex partners and multiple partners. 

Any situation which brings people into close contact with infected people are at higher risk.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

so Scott, let me see if I understand your reasoning.  You're saying that members of the LGBTQ+ community demonstrate a higher incidence of direct contact with other individuals, and....as you intimate they have a higher rate of sexual contact, LGBTQ+ people will experience a higher level of infection rates?  Is that what you're proclaiming?

I am not intimating or proclaiming anything.  Here's from the CDC on how it is transmitted:

Transmission of monkeypox virus occurs when a person comes into contact with the virus from an animal, human, or materials contaminated with the virus. The virus enters the body through broken skin (even if not visible), respiratory tract, or the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth).

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

Any person or group that comes into close contact with the infection are at risk.  I believe someone posted that in the UK, the LGBTQ community has had a higher incidence and maybe at higher risk of contracting the virus. 

There are other groups that are most likely at high risk.  

• Like 1

In Africa, where monkeypox is more endemic in certain areas, the disease is not known for spreading mostly among the gay population, but instead, most commonly from infected animals to humans.

There are emerging theories of where the more recent western nation outbreaks originated from:

Monkeypox outbreak likely spread by sex at 2 raves in Europe, says WHO expert

"LONDON (AP) — A leading adviser to the World Health Organization described the unprecedented outbreak of the rare disease monkeypox in developed countries as “a random event” that might be explained by risky sexual behavior at two recent mass events in Europe.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Dr. David Heymann, who formerly headed WHO’s emergencies department, said the leading theory to explain the spread of the disease was sexual transmission among gay and bisexual men at two raves held in Spain and Belgium. Monkeypox has not previously triggered widespread outbreaks beyond Africa, where it is endemic in animals.

Heymann, who is also a professor of infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said the monkeypox outbreak was likely a random event that might be traceable to a single infection."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/monkeypox-outbreak-likely-spread-by-sex-at-2-raves-in-europe-says-who-expert

• Like 1

There seems to be some confusion here. The test for monkeypox is a PCR ( polymerase chain reaction test) not an RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase PCR test per Covid) and requires samples from suspect skin lesions. By the time skin lesions have developed it seems unlikely that the patient would be in the mood for travelling much. 

Incoming passengers 'MonkeyPox declarations' coordinated through the ThaiPass online registration regime, I have my ThaiPass for a June 10 arrival, I assume they will notify the thousands if need to re-submit.....unbelievable...

10 hours ago, Scott said:

I am not intimating or proclaiming anything.  Here's from the CDC on how it is transmitted:

Transmission of monkeypox virus occurs when a person comes into contact with the virus from an animal, human, or materials contaminated with the virus. The virus enters the body through broken skin (even if not visible), respiratory tract, or the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth).

Any person or group that comes into close contact with the infection are at risk.  I believe someone posted that in the UK, the LGBTQ community has had a higher incidence and maybe at higher risk of contracting the virus. 

Thanks for clearing that up for us!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:53 AM, RichardColeman said:

They seem to think that Thailand is some glorious country that people will fill out tons of paperwork for the privilege to enter. IT IS NOT TRUE. Stop this lunacy. Tourism will never hit three million this year at these loonies rate

it will be the death of thai tourism  reap what you 

sow ..you deserve all the pain it will bring Again..no syphathy from me Idiots 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:53 AM, RichardColeman said:

They seem to think that Thailand is some glorious country that people will fill out tons of paperwork for the privilege to enter. IT IS NOT TRUE. Stop this lunacy. Tourism will never hit three million this year at these loonies rate

let the place die a death no one to blame but themselves..greedy scamming vultures.. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

so only bonk straight genders eh ..ill remember that

No it's not about gender preference, or the activity, as the poster clearly stated.

It is in particular about multiple partners, and group sex, for very obvious reasons.  If one infected person has intimate contact with just one other, then logically only one other person can be infected, whereas......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Thanks for clearing that up for us!

16 hours ago, Scott said:

Higher risk groups are any kind of sexual - skin to skin - partners and obviously families.

It seems that the UK outbreak may have originated in LGBTQ+ circles after 'import'. But that is obviously my supposition.

As I mentioned elsewhere the original narrative about AIDS was that it only affected homosexual men, because that's where it spread so far and fast before it emerged. Even a lot of the doctors were fooled by that, although there is obviously no metabolic difference between humans based on sexual  or gender orientation. And monkeypox ain't going to be too fussy either.

Just don't get into bed with anyone who's covered in suppurating sores.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BusyB said:

Just don't get into bed with anyone who's covered in suppurating sores.

Or is covered in a lot of body hair with a bald bum and talks with a deep male voice ????

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In Africa, where monkeypox is more endemic in certain areas, the disease is not known for spreading mostly among the gay population, but instead, most commonly from infected animals to humans.

There are emerging theories of where the more recent western nation outbreaks originated from:

Monkeypox outbreak likely spread by sex at 2 raves in Europe, says WHO expert

"LONDON (AP) — A leading adviser to the World Health Organization described the unprecedented outbreak of the rare disease monkeypox in developed countries as “a random event” that might be explained by risky sexual behavior at two recent mass events in Europe.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Dr. David Heymann, who formerly headed WHO’s emergencies department, said the leading theory to explain the spread of the disease was sexual transmission among gay and bisexual men at two raves held in Spain and Belgium. Monkeypox has not previously triggered widespread outbreaks beyond Africa, where it is endemic in animals.

Heymann, who is also a professor of infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said the monkeypox outbreak was likely a random event that might be traceable to a single infection."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/monkeypox-outbreak-likely-spread-by-sex-at-2-raves-in-europe-says-who-expert

I mentioned this theory of the origins of the current outbreak in another thread about measures being introduced at Thai airports.

I have seen this described as a "founder effect," and although it doesn't quite meet the dictionary definition of the phrase, I think I know what they're getting at.

If this is indeed how it started (and the reports make the idea seem plausible) then it could be that the disease got established in a particular subset of the population first, and then continued to spread to other people within that population because of close physical contact between them. 

If the outbreak had started in the heterosexual population first, it would presumably be spreading mostly among heterosexuals now, because sexual orientation has no direct effect on how it's transmitted.

• Like 1

Well fear mongering not even finished, still keeping up the uneffective b.s. regulations …

- and already ramping up the next fearmongering with an infection, where the “symptoms” are as undefined and applicable to other diseases, same as with Covid.

But we have <deleted> rtPCR-Test! -   Again! ????

And of cause: we have a “vaccine” and already 3 (expensive) medications. ????

However, I bet: the majority of Thais and a lot of the forum members here will jump again on the same train, only with another locomotive !

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If this is indeed how it started (and the reports make the idea seem plausible) then it could be that the disease got established in a particular subset of the population first, and then continued to spread to other people within that population because of close physical contact between them. 

If the outbreak had started in the heterosexual population first, it would presumably be spreading mostly among heterosexuals now, because sexual orientation has no direct effect on how it's transmitted.

I think that's exactly the working theory that they're contemplating.... Be curious to see where it ends up.