Would you put down your dog rather than give it away

I have dog. 

He is a tiny little bloke.

He is my best friend and a constant source of joy.  I love him.

My long term Thai GF is ok taking care him food wise, but despite my constant reminders she still, after nearly a decade, will do stupid things like let him out unsupervised or not watch him carefully enough when other dogs are present.  He has almost been killed be a car on a number of occassions (all because of my GF) and he has been attacked by much larger dog on two occassions (both because of her also).  The second occassion could of been fatal.  Lots of stitches and medication and a vet bill just shy of 40K

My GF loves him as well butn ot a priority for looking at facebook above all else.

If I was forced to leave Thailand in a hurry (for whatever reason) I could not take him with me at short notice because my home country has the strictest quantine rules for dogs in the whole world.

If I was not around I would not be comfortable leaving him with my GF.  It might also be the case if we were no longer together she would head off to work in Korea with her older sister.  If she had my little bloke then he would end up with her mum up on the farm in Nakon Nowhere and that would be a death sentence for him.

Mostly they are just a little better off then fending for themselves on the street.

My current gut feeling is that I would be more (comfortable for the want the correct word) euthanizing him rather than leaving him.

What would you do?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Take him to a temple like everyone else. Plenty of friends and grub. He will soon fit in and find his place in his new home. 

Before you leave him there full time take him for walkies there so he can smell and be smelt and learn the lay of the land.

Better than killing him.

He would never survive.  He is less than 3kgs.  He wants to make friends with all dogs regardless of their size.  Just walks straight up to them to say hello.  This is why he has been attacked on 2 occasions.  The Mar Ban mongels at the temple would literally eat him alive.  He is also a bit of a finnicky eater, which is entirely my fault.  I feed him fresh squid, king prawns, tuna, as well as pork and chicken.  More often than not he eats better than me.  Not sure how he would go on left over rice diet or bargain basement kibble.  He will eat some good quality kibbles, but only if I hand feed him eat piece.

2 minutes ago, habanero said:

You would have a hard time anyway finding a vet that would put the dog down. They just don't do that in Thailand. It's a Buddhist thing! 

I have been here a very long time and am well aware of this issue.  I would attend to the task myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

He would never survive.  He is less than 3kgs.  He wants to make friends with all dogs regardless of their size.  Just walks straight up to them to say hello.  This is why he has been attacked on 2 occasions.  The Mar Ban mongels at the temple would literally eat him alive.  He is also a bit of a finnicky eater, which is entirely my fault.  I feed him fresh squid, king prawns, tuna, as well as pork and chicken.  More often than not he eats better than me.  Not sure how he would go on left over rice diet or bargain basement kibble.  He will eat some good quality kibbles, but only if I hand feed him eat piece.

Temples also take in cats. The dogs don't tear the cats apart. They all find their own space. Dogs are great adapters .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, habanero said:

You would have a hard time anyway finding a vet that would put the dog down. They just don't do that in Thailand. It's a Buddhist thing! 

Incorrect, it just depends on how much money is on the table. In my experience, anyway.

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Temples also take in cats. The dogs don't tear the cats apart. They all find their own space. Dogs are great adapters .

My bloke is about the third of the size of Verdell to give you some perspective.

14 minutes ago, 2long said:

Quite a dramatic and xenophobic attitude if you ask me.

Why are you thinking like this? Are you planning to run away from him and your GF? Did you not think about the commitment when you got him?

How would YOU feel if your gf was contemplating ending YOUR life because of her other commitments?

I know many people (all around the world, but we see it a lot here) treat animals cruelly, but how could you even think about having him put down when you're asking people on this forum?! If it really came to it, give him to me or another caring member!

Yes giving him to a foreigner might be a solution.  But all of the decent people I knew here have all left. 

Consider the priorities that human beings get in Thai society and then ask yourself if an animal could expect even as much consideration. Oddly, some wealthy Thais treat their dogs much better than they do humans of the poorer classes. Don’t complain about the treatment of animals when you don’t even care enough about fellow humans to make sure that they eat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Well you will be happy to know that my little bloke eats with me and sleeps with me also.

Doesn't surprise me, it's quite common for dog owners to treat dogs as fur children.

I see the two dogs my gf parents have, and not much impressed by their caring. Not to bad, but no vaccine program or meds for tics and flees as well blood parasites. Fresh water I never see, and food plates is never cleaned.

However our dogs and especially my little American bully is special cared for, so no worries. They even take good care of hour cat and sheeps, so impressed how they can change attitude from home to our place. The same for maintenance and cleaning around our property. Took me about two years to get them pick up plastic and garbage floating around the farm, and now hardly anything to pic or complain about on when I return from travel.

They do not get any special treatment from me, and get normal day rates for their work, and a bit extra when they stay there 24/7.

So, yes I trust them with my animals.

Also managed to convince them about clean water morning and evening, and clean the pots as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Thais  and foreigners  here don't  care for their  dogs treating  them  as they  do as sentimental  pets not trained pack animals, often not giving them enough  exercise.

Do you exercise and train your wife as an pack member to?

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Dreadful, insulting anti Thai racist  headline. Disgusting. Sick. Irresponsible

Heartbreaking having seen the the kindness, love  and money and nurturing poured by poorvThais onto sick  and distressed  animals  I wonder what reality some people are in.

"Would you rather kill your  dog than give  it to J**w?"

I request  some decorum and editorial  responsibility please.  Even the British  Daily Mail wouldn't  publish  a headline like this.

Headline has been edited.

• Thanks 2

The implied belief that all Thais are incapable of caring for a pet, being kind of a racist prejudice/generalization to begin with—of which the OP considers literally killing his dog with his own bare hands being a better option, is seriously off-putting.

Also probably illegal.

Like another member has said, there are adoption groups on FB, where experienced pet owners are actively looking for a dog to adopt.

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThLT said:

The implied belief that all Thais are incapable of caring for a pet, being kind of a racist prejudice/generalization to begin with—of which the OP considers literally killing his dog with his own bare hands being a better option, is seriously off-putting.

Also, probably illegal.

Like another member has said, there are adoption groups on FB, where experienced pet owners are actively looking for a dog to adopt.

Not all just 90%, most leave their dogs in the yard barking all day while they are at work, or put them in cages. The idea of taking them for a walk is seen as some crazy foreign notion. too many just want a dog to show off with. Almost the first thing they will tell you is how much their dirty, drooling barking pest cost. IMO all dog owners have some sort of personality disorder, Thais are just a bit worse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1