Economic pressures has government mulling end of restrictions

webfact

image.jpeg

By Cod Satrusayang

Thailand aims to remove remaining Covid restrictions by the beginning of July as economic pressures and inflation pushes forward the government’s timeframe for declaring an end to the pandemic, a senior government advisor said on Friday.

Thailand found nearly 5,000 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday but with booster shots readily available and the death toll lowering by the week, the country appears ready to declare the disease as endemic.

Anutin Charnvirakul, the Minister of Public Health, told reporters that there was no timeframe or pressure to rush the government on ending restrictions.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/40464/economic-pressures-has-government-mulling-end-of-restrictions/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-05-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Mull away the Thai Pass etc and then you are almost there but probably too late to save much of this year.

I don’t know about that.. I think that if everything is removed — and it’s well advertised, I do think thailand has a good shot at a decent high season…. 

but… they’ll have to hurry as many holiday makers will start to either begin their holiday planning or might be even be looking to finalize it by late summer or even as late as early fall… so… there’s some time— but not a whole lot… In addition,  while air fares to Europe and North America are at very high levels, fares to Asia, relatively speaking aren’t as rich — just yet…. so people might find that the air fare part of the total equation makes Asia a better choice… but they’ll have to compete against places like Bali, KL etc ,, who’ve all be “ open” to varying degrees, well before thailand and may have already been chosen as the spot for this years year-end trip. 

Edited by new2here
  • Like 2

An American expat neighbor of mine built a nice big house for his Thai gf and her two young daughters. Then COVID hit.  We haven’t seen him in almost two years—but he keeps sending her money.  She waits patiently…

This exemplifies some of the problems in Thailand.

The European holiday season (mid-June to late September) has been largely missed by the hesitant Thai government amateurs. 

A friend, family with 1 child booked 3 weeks Greece in April for the beginning of September. Another friend, family with 2 children booked Turkey all inclusive for 3 weeks in early May for July. Both friends are usually Thailand fans. Due to the loss of Russian tourists, there are currently very cheap holiday packages for Turkey.

If Thailand had managed in time to attract an additional 500,000 European holidaymakers for the summer season and each spend 50,000 baht: that would have been 25,000,000,000 baht.

Money that may could have been generated by faster, bolder and clearer entry policies.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Is this irony?  If not, I'm relieved that that was the ending.  Most users would have you believe that the minute your back is turned your Thai wife or girlfriend is cheating on you.

Actually, FYI, our neighbor (the gf) waits patiently.  Her family lives on the same lot, with relatives on either side.  Her mom is very proud of her daughter, for bringing such wealth into the big farm family.  She couldn’t cheat even if she felt so inclined.  Sanguine yet sad story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The naivety of the government is unbelievable. The belief that tourism and the economy can just be turned on again with a few new regulations more or less, like a light switch, is illusory. 

C19 measures, Putin's war in Europe, inflation, recession, China's border closure, etc. all result in the fact that the general data for vacation trips to Thailand are extremely bad. 

The government acts as if they are able to trigger an economic boom with their pompous announcements. The reality is rather that there is still a long dry way ahead for the countrys economy.

I can tell you from a country with no restrictions whatsoever other than being vaccinated to enter our numbers are nowhere near what they used to be.  The thing is opening up is only half the answer - where tourists come from often have significant restrictions upon return, including mandatory quarantines, or testing before leaving, or both.  The sediment with travellers who are returning is one of stress over the testing they must do and they worry that they will have to quarantine here for ten days before returning home at a COVID hotel which is not cheap.  

Tourism is not a tap that will be turned on and I foresee the downturn to be significant for the rest of this year and perhaps next year too.  (of course I cannot be certain)

Pent up demand?  Sure, there is some.  After the initial surge you will see it drop like a rock again.  And let me assure you, you won't see Chinese tourists for many many many many many years to come.

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Yep, Samui sucks big time.

Are you guys being straight about this? Because I've been thinking seriously about a trip there in June for a change of scene, to get out of Dodge (Bangkok) for a while. I've been in LOS about half time for over 10 years and never even been to Hua Hin, let alone anywhere further south. 

My gf has a bar-girl friend there who is unhappy with it at this time, but that doesn't tell me much.

17 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Samui always quiet. Deservedly so. 
what a dump …decaying as you watch ! 

It is actually a very beautiful island. Especially when near some of the finer beaches, or up in the hills. The primary issue is that many of the transplanted locals, and most of the officials possess very little in the way of pride. So, they have allowed the island to get run down, they have not developed progressive public transportation options, the island had gotten over developed, and nobody has had an interest in going to war with Bangkok Air, to wrestle away their monopoly concession, which no doubt was granted due to massive corruption, etc. 

But, physically it can be quite stunning. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 4:09 AM, Thailand said:

Mull away the Thai Pass etc and then you are almost there but probably too late to save much of this year.

Thai Pass finishes on 1st June, or have I got that wrong?

So, the dead-line of 1st June has now been pushed back a month to 1st July...  On 1st July pushed back to 1st Aug?  and so on...

Anything to avoid making a decision or opening up Thailand.  It seems very clear that the present Junta do not want dirty farang tourists coming to Thailand and spending money that they cannot get their hands on

I note that despite the most draconian immigration laws, the number of Covid cases keep rising. 

How many of these are due o tourists?  Probably none, but do not let Thais know.

Thai Pass to stay for ever?  Why not?  It is too good a way of keeping out dirty farangs, and the Junta in control.

I have just seen that Thai Pass no longer needed for Thais.  Great, they no longer need permission to visit their own country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1