Campaign to stop use of Thai numerals in official documents

webfact

3 hours ago, rbkk said:

So they'll have to change Thailand 4.0?

Having grown up in Hong Kong I know a bit of Cantonese. The numbers in spoken Cantonese for 3 (Saam), 8 (Baat)and 9 (Gau) sound the same as in Thai.

Because Thais lived in and around Guangzhou province, before they emigrated.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, please do stop using them to cheat innocent foreigners who have no idea what those numerals mean. This place, for example, is charging foreigners ten times what they want from Thais.

double-standard-pricing-in-thailand-300x

Unfortunately, that is not the subject being discussed/polled and I doubt there will be any effect on this shameful practice.

The poll is about terminating the use of Thai numbers in official documents.

Frankly, I have to side with the Government on this, the numbers do reflect some Thai culture (just like the use of B.E. years instead of A.D. years)  and it's perfectly possible for a computer system to deal with them, just as computer systems can deal with hundreds or thousands of different alphabetical scripts and ideograms systems.

I imagine the problem is a lot like trying to use roman numerals for everything; there are no default software libraries for treating them as numbers so you have to go through them (more) manually. 

If this is the case, the proper course of action is to build a library/api to address it.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If only they would print the dammed vehicle tax date in Numerals, i.e 01/06/22 ????

We have the same issue in Arabic countries.... why don't Europeans and Americans dump the Gregorian Calendar in favor of the Islamic one?

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That confirms that what JayClay posted was accurate.   Prayut did not say that Thai would become the number one language used in the world!

I suppose if you looked at it back to front and upside down maybe JayClay is correct, NOT

Will means the same as would except normally refers to future tense where as would normally past!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

If only they would print the dammed vehicle tax date in Numerals, i.e 01/06/22 ????

Yes seems to be an anomaly perhaps. Thai id cards, passports, driving license etc include birth dates as numerals for day date and year with the month spelt  in English

On 5/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Sorry to nitpick but 'ancient' refers to the history of the civilizations of the Mediterranean area and the Near East up to the fall of the Western Roman Empire in AD 476.

Don't worry. 

You're not nitpicking.

You're just wrong.

from the Cambridge online dictionary

"of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/ancient

Edited by cdemundo
added "just"

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

I suppose if you looked at it back to front and upside down maybe JayClay is correct, NOT

Will means the same as would except normally refers to future tense where as would normally past!! 

Jesus...re-visit your English grammar lessons.   "Will" does not mean the same as "would".

20 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Maybe English isn't your first language but surely whatever language you natively speak has the concept of conditionals?