Thailand setting up cyber-defense division after hacks targeting Ministry of Defense, Prime Minister’s Office

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand is setting up and recruiting hackers and engineers to safeguard the country’s digital infrastructure after persistent hacks targeting the country’s defense and leadership ministries throughout 2021.

White Hats, maybe?  But then could these be the digital nomads they are seeking or once again are they only Thai students that created some of the sites already hacked....

• Haha 2

Hacks of Thai Immigration and various Thai hospitals were obviously not direct enough to warrant a response other than drivel at the time. In Vietnam the government have hired a hacker who was jailed in the US for 7 years for hacking.

I went on an initial Sun Micro Systems Java Programming course and I can assure you that the Thai's were first rate programers. 

It's like the Thai engineers, electricians etc we don't see the good ones as they all are making good money and working for great companies. Never under estimate the skills etc of a good Thai professional.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

I went on an initial Sun Micro Systems Java Programming course and I can assure you that the Thai's were first rate programers. 

It's like the Thai engineers, electricians etc we don't see the good ones as they all are making good money and working for great companies. Never under estimate the skills etc of a good Thai professional.

Indeed, they will be able to recruit the very best of the best if they pay a salary that competes with all the large companies.

This is where the problem lies - they're going to get a civil service salary which is 'peanuts' and we all know what happens when you pay peanuts......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This was in response to attacks by a hacker group known as Threat Activity Group 16 [TAG 16] which targeted the Prime Minister’s Office, the Ministry of Defense, the Royal Thai Army, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Must maintain security, can't have expenditure being out in the open.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Indeed, they will be able to recruit the very best of the best if they pay a salary that competes with all the large companies.

This is where the problem lies - they're going to get a civil service salary which is 'peanuts' and we all know what happens when you pay peanuts......

You don't pay peanuts to someone who is protecting the most sensitive areas and information.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

for sure, many of my thai friends have graduated bachelor or masters degrees from US or european universities, studied in their second language i may add. how many people here who criticise achieve that? 

• Like 1