Visa exempt entry - can the 20k be in any currency?

Looks like I will be coming in visa exempt later in the month. I think you are supposed to be carrying at least 20k but can this be in any currency? I have some EUR and GBP which should be OK but I also have some Polish and Indonesian currency that would have to count if I am going to get to 20k. Do I need to change this to THB before arrival? It'd be a bit of a waste of money as I'll be going back to those countries, but not a big deal if it might avoid a problem at immigration.

4 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Is this an actual rule? I never knew about it or was asked for this when I came to Thailand on Visa Exempt, but it was from Canada, not sure if that's for some countries.

It is the same for all entries to the country not only visa exempt.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, iwan55555 said:

Doing a border run at Nong Khai ,Laos to get a quick 30 days, (which also can be extended with another 30 days) do you also need to show the 20k ?

The question needs to be asked a different way.

Is there a rule that you need to have THB 20,000 baht currency equivalent ?? *Yes.

Do you need to show it ? - that depends on the officer upon arrival. It's unlikely but more likely at land borders when doing a visa run.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If those Indian arrivals are first time visitors and not back to back exempt entries suspected of working here then I doubt they’d be asked unless the Immigration officer was having a particularly bad day. 

I wasn't expecting a serious answer.

34 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Is this an actual rule? I never knew about it or was asked for this when I came to Thailand on Visa Exempt, but it was from Canada, not sure if that's for some countries.

Does not matter what country you arrive from . 

All the same this question is not asked often to my experience .

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW think it was changed to 10k for single travellers and 20k for family.

Wrong again...

As always with Thailand the information is inconsistent, and of course, enforced with even less consistency which adds pure confusion... 

Thai Embassy Singapore states: THB 10,000 (single traveler) / THB 20,000 (families)

Thai Embassy US Washington states: THB 20,000 (single traveler) / THB 40,000 (families)

Thai Embassy London states: THB 10,000 (single traveler) / THB 20,000 (families)

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/who-requires-visa/visa-exemption-scheme

https://thaiembdc.org/visa_tourist_coe/

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84451-tourist-visa

• Thanks 1

It's a pain that they don't have an ATM air side in Suvarnabhumi. 

I don't really want to be wandering around with 20K in cash in my pocket.  If they had an ATM air side I could withdraw 20K there only if required to show the money by immigration.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Wrong again...

Yes indeed you are. 

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e. cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family)....

Edited by DrJack54

16 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I don't really want to be wandering around with 20K in cash in my pocket.  If they had an ATM air side I could withdraw 20K there only if required to show the money by immigration.

Friend of mine arrived at Don Muang airport from Hong Kong last year , ( regular visitor over the last 20 years ) . He had around 12000 baht in his wallet . IO  told him not enough and put him back to HK on the next flight , despite my friend asking to use an ATM which was denied . Friend flew back to DM the following week with in excess of the 20k but was not asked to show the money . Friend was interviewed in HK on his return by HK immigration and Air Asia . Both said Thai IO were OTT . BTW my friend is a wealthy guy .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, superal said:

Friend of mine arrived at Don Muang airport from Hong Kong last year , ( regular visitor over the last 20 years ) . He had around 12000 baht in his wallet . IO  told him not enough and put him back to HK on the next flight , despite my friend asking to use an ATM which was denied . Friend flew back to DM the following week with in excess of the 20k but was not asked to show the money . Friend was interviewed in HK on his return by HK immigration and Air Asia . Both said Thai IO were OTT . BTW my friend is a wealthy guy .

Why did your friend go back a week later? If this happened to me I would never return. Idiotic rule 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

never been asked for it 

I just make sure I have a thai sim topped up ready to show my bank balance online, if not good enough they can take me to their nearest ATM

Which part of CASH and NO ATM do you not understand?

• Like 2

I've never been asked for it and never used to carry it, but a few were picked up on it a few years ago ... since then I've always had the corresponding stash of euros in my pocket.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Yeah, but I think this rule is basically there to catch you out, or in other words to give them a concrete reason to refuse entry when their real concerns are a bit vague or hard to prove.

8 hours ago, superal said:

Don Muang has the reputation of having more than its fair share of illegitimate IOs...????.

• Thanks 1

I thought this was one of the rules that were kept in reserve to allow I/O to reject any 'undesirables' who showed up.  Only enforced if you looked as if you did not have 20K.

I have rarely arrived in Thailand with 20KB in my pocket, but plastic to give me access to more than that.  Never been questioned.  Like the old requirement for a ticket out of Thailand?

IMHO, anyone coming to Thailand with less that 20KB to his name is taking a big risk and possible not one of the 'high net worth' 'hihg quality'  tourists that TAT wants

• Like 1