Covid-19 infections could reach ten thousand within 5 days after entertainment venues reopen, Public Health Minister estimates

webfact

22 hours ago, Cadan said:

Here are the facts: over 30000 people died in 2.5 years Covid while 81000 people die in Thailand from smoking each year - if the governments really cared about your health they should change their policies… 

Diversion with another item other than driving, And for the same reasons not relevant. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anant72 said:

I know a couple, both three shots, both reinfected: the young one in his 50’s got high fever for a week and still feels exhausted after a small effort, the other one one aged 75 had no fever, just a cough that disappeared after 48 hrs.

From all the people I know personally around the world who have had Delta (two), and Omicron (at least 30), they got over it in basically a day or two symptoms wise, i.e. the heaviest part of the symptoms, then it took about another 3-4 days to say they were back to normal, self and family included. Delta was worse for the other two, one 60 years of age, was in hospital who thought he would die (unvaccinated), the other about 26 no hospital, in bed for a few days, also vaccinated. The ones who got Omicron were in the age ranges of 8 to 74 and all vaccinated. I haven't heard of anyone having bad symptoms that were vaccinated.

14 hours ago, Anant72 said:

The virus is still roaming around but life has to go on and one just has to be aware. 

That's said, it goes for all viruses, I believe the flu is something more to fear than Omicron and in the next day or so I will be going with the wife to get our annual shot. If Omicron rears it's head again, I won't be fussed knowing what it's like to have it, like I said, it was like a head cold, or a mild flu if you like, nothing I would fear for myself or my family, everyone being double vaxed, myself 3 Pfizer's, however I suppose you could say it's now 3 & 4 doses if you add Omicron as infecting us (natural immunity).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

From all the people I know personally around the world who have had Delta (two), and Omicron (at least 30), they got over it in basically a day or two symptoms wise,

Do you think it is relevant for people to compare personal experience unless you dispute the statistics? I am sure many now know many who have had Omicron and suffered little.... I do. But earlier in the pandemic  a relative got Delta and died... there were a lot of deaths early on. 

Back to the topic, this is awful fear-mongering. 

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you think it is relevant for people to compare personal experience unless you dispute the statistics? I am sure many now know many who have had Omicron and suffered little.... I do. But earlier in the pandemic  a relative got Delta and died... there were a lot of deaths early on. 

Back to the topic, this is awful fear-mongering. 

Delta, we all know was a deadly strain, however we are no at Omicron which is much milder and we can compare it and discuss it for what it is, and the sooner they just let it rip through the communities the quicker we can get on with our lives, that said, the fearmongering serves no purposes, the old, the unvaccinated, the ones with immunocompromised conditions have to stay vigilant.

This fearmongering will take a while for people to get over, I want to be free of the mask, was at a BBQ yesterday and I felt alive again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

This fearmongering will take a while for people to get over, I want to be free of the mask, was at a BBQ yesterday and I felt alive again.

Yes, so was I, but at home amongst friends and relatives and it was a mask free event. Even the Bangkokians seem to relaxing their attitude. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:13 AM, IamNoone88 said:

The basis of everyone having the vaccine was to open up and get back to normal - never forget that important point.

Now, two years later, most of the population - globally - has had a vaccine and/or has had covid (myself included).

Time to move on from this nonsense mask wearing as have so many developed nations - I was for wearing it in the beginning when there were no vaccines and a far more dangerous strain - but it is a different world now. Off with these damn masks.

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of paranoia, fear and scare mongering. The world did not end. We did not all die. The species lives on. The covid numbers are dropping daily. Time to end the madness. Time to stop masking up. 

At a time when we would expect them to announce that masks are no longer necessary, we get this announcement. Will this nonsense ever end? Are these bumbling fools truly this desperate for power?

Mandatory mask-wearing is exempted when people are eating or drinking, showing their faces to confirm their identities to state authorities, exercising in an open area, and while at a beach, a public park and other places where people can stay at least two metres apart. The order is effective from June 1 until further notice.

People who violate this order may be liable to a fine of up to 20,000 baht under Section 51 of the Communicable Disease Act of 2015. They may also be construed as violating the emergency decree of 2005 and liable to a jail term of not exceeding two years and/or a fine of up to 40,000 baht. 

Huh? Really? I think total defiance in the face of inane stupidity and a vast abuse of power is necessary, at this time. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 7:11 AM, Orinoco said:

Well it is the Hub of Mumbo Jumbo.

Two of my favorite words Mumbo Jumbo along with Hocus Pocus Voodoo. Personally I would like to get rid of the masks really tired of them. I am also in the high risk group over 65 and overweight kind of scared to go without so a conundrum.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

These may just be the last attempts by the whole medical and health clique to remain in the media and to be "important". With the absence or the decline of the epidemic, these "health actors" will become increasingly irrelevant and unimportant. That hurts many egos, especially when Prime Minister aspirations resonate.

Furthermore the possibility of "freely" disposing a large state budget is also disappearing.

Yeah, haven't seen Doctor Yong lately.  Thailand needs a new pandemic to make the doctor relevant again.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of paranoia, fear and scare mongering. The world did not end. We did not all die. The species lives on. The covid numbers are dropping daily. Time to end the madness. Time to stop masking up. 

Oh do stop twittering on... it's a paper mask for heavens sake not the Iron Mask of Dumas. 

• Sad 1

Several people here keep saying the Thailand COVID numbers are dropping... How can you, or anyone, realistically know that at this point.

The government's officially reported numbers are worthless. They've scaled back testing, plan to cease reporting ATK positives, and the whole shift to unreported self/home testing has eroded any credibility the official numbers ever had.

Have you noticed that the government hasn't revoked their work-from-home policy advisory for private companies?  My wife's private company in BKK, a large one, still has all their office staff working from home with rare exceptions, as has been the case for many months now.

She had to go into the office for a special meeting last week. No one gets into their office building without first doing an ATK test outside and then waiting and showing the guard the result before they're allowed in. Each and every day anyone has to go into the office.

Does that sound like COVID is done in Thailand?

As someone who's over 60 and thus in a risk group, my mask is staying on when in close contact with others, until I see some real credible proof that COVID is no longer circulating in society here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:55 AM, Dukeleto said:

It’s flu…wake up! Looking at that mug and I understand why he wants to keep mask mandates. I’m all for it if he keeps wearing one. People use to call Thaksin SpongeBob but I think we have a contender in country.

Covid may be many things (including, in its latest iteration, being no worse than a heavy cold for most people) but one thing it is not, is the flu.

It's a totally different virus from a completely different family of viruses and has very little in common with influenza viruses apart from being a respiratory disease with a superficial similarity in some of its symptoms.

While the government's COVID case numbers are worthless,  in all likelihood, their COVID hospitalization numbers are probably somewhat more reliable...and credible.

As of today, there are still more than 32,000 people in Thailand being treated for COVID right now -- more than 14,000 in regular hospitals and nearly 18,000 in field hospitals, hospitels, etc.

Among those COVID cases, 775 are hospitalized in serious condition and another 372 cannot breathe and thus require intubation, according to today's update from the Ministry of Public Health.

COVID is still with us, and people are still getting sick from it, and another 28 died from it just in the past day. Per today's update from the Ministry of Public Health in the graphic below:

Screenshot_1.jpg.6951a4de2c3b7d1d45922627372f2e57.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/576747413943587/?type=3

If the government actually wanted to know to what extent COVID is circulating among the general public, they'd be out doing random testing/sampling to see to what extent the virus is still circulating. But instead, they're doing virtually no proactive case finding, as per the report below (highlighted in the red box).

468700168_Screenshot2.jpg.837b2d935bd2a93f3eb3c2b57203586f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos/a.10151714100817050/10158682071047050/

Don't seek, and then you won't find / have to report....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, webfact said:

Covid-19 infections could reach ten thousand within 5 days after entertainment venues reopen, Public Health Minister estimates

The obvious solution is to continue calling bars "restaurants". This confuses COVID, keeping it at bay.

• Haha 1

I suspect the numbers are quite high.  At one of the local schools, quite a few classes are back online due to students testing positive.  The school has good Covid protocols so it appears the students are catching it outside the school. 

The school continues with a mix of online and in person classes.  If a student tests positive, the class goes briefly to online teaching.  

19 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

No worries because nobody will know as no more daily Covid-19 cases reporting.

At least as of today, the government is still reporting the daily COVID stats via their COVID Info Facebook page....

27 new COVID deaths.

29,509 confirmed COVID patients under treatment

13,833 of those in regular hospitals.

And of those, 761 in serious condition and another 375 intubated because of being unable to breathe.

Total official COVID death count for Thailand since the beginning of the pandemic, now at 30,198 (though outside researchers believe the actual number is considerably higher).

PS - Just as they re-jiggered what kinds of COVID-related deaths they're actually counting a month or so back (to effectively reduce the reported numbers), they've now also rejiggered what they count as actual cases (so the case figures from now forward may not be comparable to those from the past.)

186620413_2022-06-06THCOVID.jpg.4950f7d2dd53c97d1d7a68a611beb9ec.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/577447363873592/?type=3

• Like 1

And at least as of today, the same kind of daily COVID update info continues to be available via the MoPH's COVID dashboard website:

Screenshot_2.jpg.f6dcf7b123ff74c482a1549b285d6218.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Yes Virginia, people are still getting sick from, and dying of, COVID in Thailand.

Good reason to wear a quality face mask when close around others,  maintain social distancing when outside to the extent possible, and get your COVID booster vaccines, as allowed under the government's policy.

• Like 2

And as of yesterday, only 45% of Thailand's senior citizen population (60 and older) -- the most COVID vulnerable group -- had received their third dose COVID booster vaccine shot that science says is necessary to best protect against Omicron.

938017372_VaxUpdate.jpg.845e9e42aaccdf4364d4110ca989c6da.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/576747400610255/?type=3

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At least as of today, the government is still reporting the daily COVID stats via their COVID Info Facebook page....

27 new COVID deaths.

29,509 confirmed COVID patients under treatment

13,833 of those in regular hospitals.

And of those, 761 in serious condition and another 375 intubated because of being unable to breathe.

Total official COVID death count for Thailand since the beginning of the pandemic, now at 30,198 (though outside researchers believe the actual number is considerably higher).

PS - Just as they re-jiggered what kinds of COVID-related deaths they're actually counting a month or so back (to effectively reduce the reported numbers), they've now also rejiggered what they count as actual cases (so the case figures from now forward may not be comparable to those from the past.)

186620413_2022-06-06THCOVID.jpg.4950f7d2dd53c97d1d7a68a611beb9ec.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/577447363873592/?type=3

Yes I think the new policy will start sometime soon...not immediately. I believe they will report cases bi-monthly (twice a month) under the new policy. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

On 6/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, Robbie63 said:

Two of my favorite words Mumbo Jumbo along with Hocus Pocus Voodoo. Personally I would like to get rid of the masks really tired of them. I am also in the high risk group over 65 and overweight kind of scared to go without so a conundrum.

Around the house, in the car taking the kids to school or out with my wife, I don't wear a mask. Going to my neighbours next door, no mask.

If I go shopping etc I don't wear a mask until I am ready to leave the car and take the mask off when I get back in the car.

• Like 1