Insurance for those of us over 75 years of age.

I am like a lot of others.  So, so, so confused.  I am United States citizen, married to a Thai National, (we have been married 55 years now) who holds dual US/THAI citizenship.  I am having trouble finding the required insurance for me to go to Thailand.  I am now 77 years old.  We intend to try and go back to Thailand in November of 2022.  Do I need Travel Insurance AND Health Insurance?  I normally have gone on a METV because I only stay 6 months there each year, as we have our own home in Yasothon.  Prior to COVID, it was a piece of cake going over to Laos and back to get the extensions.  So, we are quite poor and I am confused as to what VISA to try for now, and what the costs and requirements are.  ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHERE I GO TO GET THE NECESSARY INFORMATION????  Thank you. 

50 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

For your situation we advise just purchasing a 1 month 650 THB policy from FWD.

They do not factor in your age in pricing, and will insure up to 86 years old.

You can find this policy HERE.

Doesnt the insurance policy need to be for the duration of trip? That FWD insurance asks Trip Period

Doesn't Immigration at entry look at your departure ticket & the policy need to match?

Lastly thanks for the link to FWD policy but they require 14 day lead  & PCR test 72 hrs before

Do all require that?

2 hours ago, mania said:

Doesnt the insurance policy need to be for the duration of trip? That FWD insurance asks Trip Period

Doesn't Immigration at entry look at your departure ticket & the policy need to match?

Lastly thanks for the link to FWD policy but they require 14 day lead  & PCR test 72 hrs before

Do all require that?

The requirement does require a PCR test 72 hours before departure if you do intend on actually collecting on the policy. Their policy is issued within 30 minutes of payment.

Thailand Pass has not been enforcing this on trip duration more than 30 days, and immigration has not started to enforce this. (we have had zero reports in the last 6 months). 

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Thanks 1

OP - re insurance, if you want only to meet entrance requirements then https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance?utm_source=asqbroker

Have to purchase at least 14 days in advance of trip

This will cover you for only COVID (if  that)

If you want meaningful health insurance to cover any medical emergency or accident that might arise while in Thailand (which I strongly recommend) then get a travel policy.Google "travel insurance for seniors" or read this review https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-senior-travel-insurance/

If you have any underlying health conditions (hypertension etc) look for a policy that will cover "acute exacerbations of chronic conditions"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, habuspasha said:

What does one do over 85?

Maybe LMG will come out with a 3 million deductible for their 3 million OA visa policy, allowing anybody to get a policy to wave at Immigration..... Absurd? Not much more so than their 1 million deductible for their new 3 million policy -- how does that prevent a farang of modest means from "walking" out of the hospital?

No, fortunately I was 75 when I got my first LMG policy -- just on the cut line. No problem renewing at age 76. Now, with the new 3 million baht policy requirement, my new premium for age 77 will jump from 17000 to 69000 baht -- for the 1 million deductible version (my current extension renews Sept 13). Complete absurdity, especially since they won't allow my Tricare, covering a billion plus, to qualify -- obviously, these corrupt gangsters are salivating over these new heightened premiums.

So, why can't we use an agent to sidestep this requirement, just as we do to sidestep the 800k in the bank? Because this sidestep, unlike that for the 800k bank deposit, has real costs in lost premiums to the insurance mafia -- and this mafia apparently has more horsepower than the Immigration officers' mafia, that would gladly look the other way, for a fee, to ignore the insurance requirement.

Anyway, for an 85 year old, somehow finding an agent who'll tackle the insurance requirement, may be the only option. But, don't hold your breqth...... And I'll also keep watching, as any agent fee below 69000 baht is profit to me.

• Like 2

TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED TO MY QUESTIONS.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES.  VERY, VERY HELPFUL.  LAST QUESTION:  IS TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIREMENT THE SAME AS "HEALTH INSURANCE"???  I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS A INSURANCE REQUIREMENT TO GET A VISA.  I INTEND TO APPLY FOR A METV.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, kingstonkid said:

Can this be pinned to the top of folder sure others Will need it

You can go to the top of the post under the post header, click on follow and then you can see every new reply in your notifications.

16 hours ago, Gary Maneval said:

TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED TO MY QUESTIONS.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES.  VERY, VERY HELPFUL.  LAST QUESTION:  IS TRAVEL INSURANCE REQUIREMENT THE SAME AS "HEALTH INSURANCE"???  I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS A INSURANCE REQUIREMENT TO GET A VISA.  I INTEND TO APPLY FOR A METV.

As far as I know, there is no insurance requirement for an METV.

At the present time, non-Thais must obtain a Thailand Pass to enter Thailand which requires 30 days of COVID insurance only. Possible that this requirement will be dropped in the coming month(s) but not sure.

Visa application and Thailand Pass application are entirely separate processes.

25 minutes ago, Gary Maneval said:

Of course we are hoping that all restrictions will be dropped before we leave for Thailand in November. 

I suggest that most would think that's a given.

Perhaps even much earlier.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, billd766 said:

You can go to the top of the post under the post header, click on follow and then you can see every new reply in your notifications.

That was not my reason for having it pinned.  What I am thinking about is the next person that wants to discuss th is in a few months and does not find the thread.  Insurance for us members of the knowledgeable and wiser crowd seems to keep popping up

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

That was not my reason for having it pinned.  What I am thinking about is the next person that wants to discuss th is in a few months and does not find the thread.  Insurance for us members of the knowledgeable and wiser crowd seems to keep popping up

You are right. It is  good idea.

Following is OK for posters who are currently reading and posting, but that will drop off in the next few days. 

Pinning it is a much better idea. Thank you.

On 6/6/2022 at 5:14 AM, kokopelli said:

The OP asked about Travel and Health Insurance and what Visa to get.  

No one has answered these particular questions.

And insofar as possible alternatives to METV's are concerned the OP's questions have still not been answered.

IMHO his best bet would be to set the ball rolling with a non-O visa for being married to a Thai national obtainable from the Washington DC Embassy or an official Thai consulate in the States, followed by annual extensions of stay on the basis of this visa. The only alternative I can think of would be a non-OA visa for retirement, but he should definitely give this a wide berth in view of the health insurance requirements. Fortunately for him there are no similar requirements in the case of a non-O visa and subsequent annual extensions of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

EDIT: Don't know why the second paragraph and indeed this edit have both appeared in bold!

Edited by OJAS

On 6/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, kokopelli said:

The OP asked about Travel and Health Insurance and what Visa to get.  

No one has answered these particular questions.

People  have answered fully. Below is the title if the thread.

"Insurance for those of us over 75 years of age."

He was  given two or three really  useful links  to get insurance. It's up to him to contact them.p

But it's true nobody  gave the  best advice get the 'O' visa that doesn't require mandatory health insurance then, once here USE AN AGENT

On 6/6/2022 at 1:15 PM, JimGant said:

Maybe LMG will come out with a 3 million deductible for their 3 million OA visa policy, allowing anybody to get a policy to wave at Immigration..... Absurd? Not much more so than their 1 million deductible for their new 3 million policy -- how does that prevent a farang of modest means from "walking" out of the hospital?

No, fortunately I was 75 when I got my first LMG policy -- just on the cut line. No problem renewing at age 76. Now, with the new 3 million baht policy requirement, my new premium for age 77 will jump from 17000 to 69000 baht -- for the 1 million deductible version (my current extension renews Sept 13). Complete absurdity, especially since they won't allow my Tricare, covering a billion plus, to qualify -- obviously, these corrupt gangsters are salivating over these new heightened premiums.

So, why can't we use an agent to sidestep this requirement, just as we do to sidestep the 800k in the bank? Because this sidestep, unlike that for the 800k bank deposit, has real costs in lost premiums to the insurance mafia -- and this mafia apparently has more horsepower than the Immigration officers' mafia, that would gladly look the other way, for a fee, to ignore the insurance requirement.

Anyway, for an 85 year old, somehow finding an agent who'll tackle the insurance requirement, may be the only option. But, don't hold your breqth...... And I'll also keep watching, as any agent fee below 69000 baht is profit to me.

LMG?

On 6/6/2022 at 12:38 AM, ThaiVisaCentre said:

For your situation we advise just purchasing a 1 month 650 THB policy from FWD.

They do not factor in your age in pricing, and will insure up to 86 years old.

You can find this policy HERE.

I see on FWD web site that their payment system does not show the use of Australian Visa or Master Card or payment by Australian debit card, I would appreciate any information, that these cards are accepted for payment of FWD insurance thanks ,  Regards Popa

• Like 1

3 hours ago, popabear said:

I see on FWD web site that their payment system does not show the use of Australian Visa or Master Card or payment by Australian debit card, I would appreciate any information, that these cards are accepted for payment of FWD insurance thanks ,  Regards Popa

I do not think they will accept international debit card payments, but you can try.

It would be easier to just pay with credit card as it does work.

We commonly see payment issues with US cards because many do not support 3D Secure. 

• Thanks 1