Boris Johnson could face leadership challenge this week, the Sunday Times reports

onthedarkside

BoJo.jpg.ee6c4f8a45b41e09f19d3d1a30656402.jpg

LONDON, June 5 (Reuters) - Officials in British prime minister Boris Johnson's ruling Conservative Party expect a challenge to his leadership this week and have pencilled in a vote for Wednesday, the Sunday Times newspaper reported.

A growing number of Conservative lawmakers have said they have lost faith in Johnson's government over a "partygate" scandal, with some saying they have submitted letters to officially call for a vote of confidence in their leader.

At least 54 Conservative members of parliament are required to formally request a confidence vote to the chairman of the party's 1922 Committee for one to be triggered. The letters are confidential so only the chairman of the committee knows how many have been submitted.

(more)

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-officials-expect-johnson-leadership-challenge-this-week-times-2022-06-05/

Reuters.jpg.31a983edebd86ad54a3d7763dea73e11.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

unlike other countries... or a certain autocratic state highlighted in the media at the moment, uk citizens have a democratic 'right' to vote him out in the next election, without fear of retaliation by poisoning, or assassination, however, at the moment, the choices for replacement are.... nothing... don't get me wrong, but the uk opposition are giving us the choice of who we do not want, rather than who we do. similar to the past few US elections... just my 2 cents worth btw...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Since the UK people voted for a conservative government let's hope they can find an actual conservative in the Conservative party to replace him.    If the Conservatives are just another high tax, high immigration and high spend party (like all the others) what is the point of giving people the right to vote in the first place if they are only offered the illusion of choice?

They think that by changing leader they'll have a better chance at the next general election, the only thing being, at the next GE there'll be no Jeremy Corbyn, and no Brexit to help them. They're forecast to lose 30 seats when the 'Red Wall' collapses.

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The problem is, who are they going to replace him with?

Exactly, Rishi Sunak was indicated to be a good hopeful previously but as he is now a confirmed lawbreaker guess he can't be touched with a 10' barge-pool.  The only one who may stand a chance is Andrea Ledson, although the British public , the elder ones anyway will still understand how the evil Thatcher ruined British manufacturing industries so although she may be a worthy candidate to replace the liar Boris, there still may be prejudice about another female Tory PM and remember she did stand for the leadership before but fell at the first hurdle.  So whomever they nominate when the crooked Boris gets his marching orders must be squeaky clean, so that must exclude any member of Boris's current government if they hope to stand any chance of avoiding an annihilation at the polls come the next election.

• Like 2

I never understood why people voted Conservative.  Maybe the list of potential Labour candidates was unappealing to voters. Now, any party would look better. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But will the Tories replace him?

I have my doubts.

My side bet is Johnson scrapes through a leadership challenge then within a couple of months calls an early General Election.

The economy is getting worse, the Tory Brexit mess is biting harder, inflation is getting worse, poverty and the income gap is getting worse, the prospects of Tories winning the next General Election are getting worse.

What a right Tory mess this is!

Get the comedy duo back, Corby & Abbott, you know you want them back to sort things out... ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Guardian article provides quotations from members of Johnson’s Government and leading Tories that indicate a their belief a leadership challenge is inevitable.

How do you evade that?

I evade everything in the anti everything Guardian.....????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It may be beneficial for the Conservatives is he goes now , give them time to get a new leader and increase their chances of winning the next election 

Beneficial for the Conservatives maybe but what about the country?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

I evade everything in the anti everything Guardian.....????

If you "evade" everything Guardian how do you know that the Guardian is "anti everything"?

Come on fess up mate. You're the bloke who spreads posts all over social media with "I don't watch the BBC cos of it's lefty bias" (conveniently ignoring that Farridge has been their (BBC) virtually resident panelist on QT.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Yes agree he has to go 

On who will replace him there are a few contenders 

Unlike Labour who have no hope in any future elections with their current  leadership canadates 

I would agree with that, although I would question the credibility of the probable contenders.  Let's see who throws their hat in the ring

• Like 1