Where to live in Thailand, the 51st biggest country in the world

webfact

Andaman-Sea-Islands-Krabi.jpg

by Michel Bridge

It is pouring down with rain, it is dark already at 4 pm in the winter and your heating bills are soaring….so maybe it is time to leave the cold of Europe or the States and head to warmer climes.

SE Asia has become home to many ex-pats with Thailand being one of the popular choices.

So where can you move to in this massive country known as the Land of Smiles?

Of course, most may have read about the vibrant city of Bangkok, however many ex-pats are now making their homes all over the country.

Thailand’s land has a total area of 513,120 km² (198,117 mi²) and a total coastline of 3,219 km (2,000.2 mi). 

To put it into perspective, this land area is approximately 74% of the area of Texas. 

Thailand is also one of the largest countries in Asia and the 51st biggest in the world. 

Although more than half of all residents (51%) live within cities, you may wish to avoid the rat race and head to some of the other regions.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand divides the country into six regions.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Northern Thailand is mountainous and continues from Myanmar in the west to Laos in the northeast.

Climate wise it tends to have colder winters than other regions.

The main provinces are Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, and the largest city Chiang Mai where many ex-pats tend to live.

Same size as Germany

Northeast Thailand often known as Isan covers 61,776 miles roughly the size of Germany.

Bordering Laos and Cambodia this is very much a farming led community with mountains, the Korat Plateau, and the Mekong River. 

Major cities here are Ubon Thai, Khon Kaen, Sakon Nakhon and Ubon Ratchathani.

Expats do move here often to stay with a Thai girlfriend or wife, but it is very rural.

download.jpg

Central Thailand includes the Chao Phraya River and the Phetchabun mountain range.

The Gulf of Thailand is just south of Bangkok at its southern border.

Here you have the UNESCO World heritage cities of Ayutthaya and Sukhothai in the central plains and south is the vibrant city of Bangkok.

Eastern Thailand borders Cambodia in the east, northern eastern Thailand in the north and central Thailand in the West.

This region also borders the Gulf of Thailand to the south and southwest, so you have a lot of coastline properties here.

The largest city here is Pattaya a 90-minute drive south of Bangkok. 

This region also has several popular islands including Koh Samet and Koh Chang.

The government is pouring massive funds here into creating the Eastern corridor for manufacturing.

High-speed trains connecting this region to all three main international airports are due to open in the next few years.

Many expats retiree to this region.

Western Thailand borders Myanmar in the west and southern Thailand in the south and central Thailand in the east.

Well, known as the World War II region including the city of Kanchanaburi and the River Kwai, this area is about two and half hours drive west of the capital.

The region also includes the provinces of Phetchaburi and Hua Hin, another popular seaside city for ex-pats.

Finally, there is Southern Thailand close to the Malay peninsula and its western part bordering Myanmar. 

Well, known by tourists for the beautiful Andaman Sea and Thailand’s biggest island Phuket.

Here you will also find the smaller islands of Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, and Ko Tao all within ferry distance.
Being such a large country, you are spoilt for choice.

While it can be cold up in the mountains in the north, on the same day you can be sunbathing in the south.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yep your heating bills go up in Europe because it's cold, but you move to Thailand and your electric bill soars because it's so hot in summer have to use the air-con all night and part of the day.

Which bill is bigger?

Heating bills are much bigger.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yep your heating bills go up in Europe because it's cold, but you move to Thailand and your electric bill soars because it's so hot in summer have to use the air-con all night and part of the day.

Which bill is bigger?

Dunno, live by the sea, never turn the A/C on. Solar panels do the rest. PEA bill = 0

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Which bill is bigger?

You have got to be kidding me you can't figure that out? It will be cheaper in Europe since you have no rubles to buy  gas  555 i.e. Remember RUSSIA!!!!

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Which bill is bigger?

With the current huge utilities price increase in Europe (and set to worsen) I’d say very much Europe is dearer. Average annual energy bill (capped) this September in U.K. will be £3000 ( so approximate equivalent of 12,000 baht per month ). I know many who pay less rent than that here! .
Then there’s council tax (£3300 p.a in my case) but paid by tenant for the house I rent out there … and get a very tidy rent from!. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Although more than half of all residents (51%) live within cities, you may wish to avoid the rat race and head to some of the other regions.

Unless you live in a knock down house in a very carefully selected area of the rice fields, the cities are much quieter and more tranquil than any rural location.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're right, can't hear myself think for all the birds tweeting.

Not to mention the buffalo splashing in the klong just over my garden wall.

IMG_20220530_120951.jpg

Before rainy season, wife heard crunch crunch crunch, in the brush, on the other side of the wall.  Peeked over and saw large monitor on the hunt ... ????

• Haha 1

Size is relative. 

The "massive" 51st sized country of Thailand would fit nearly 5 times into the particular state in Australia I'm from. 

I would describe Thailand as a medium sized country. I guess in this UK expat forum it seems big from their perspective.

Listing the different regions and highlighting the climate may be helpful for some prospective residents who have yet to undertake research.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Size is relative. 

The "massive" 51st sized country of Thailand would fit nearly 5 times into the particular state in Australia I'm from. 

I would describe Thailand as a medium sized country. I guess in this UK expat forum it seems big from their perspective.

Listing the different regions and highlighting the climate may be helpful for some prospective residents who have yet to undertake research.

Try 10 times