Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

Dual pricing? Always avoided the places that do it. Once, in a useless protest, teared a 100 baht note apart in front of the amusement park cashier.

Thais, in fact, also face discrimination in their own country, be it education, career options, access to certain privileges and benefits.

There, it is easier for farangs to enter.

Just demonstrates how backwards the place still is in many ways, albeit being capable of building shopping temples you won't find anywhere else.

Edited by heiri007
grammar
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Every Thai I have asked about double pricing has the same answer. “Farang has more money, farang should pay more.”  That is the prevailing opinion here. I don’t see it changing. It’s a bit like the Thai habit of raising prices when business is bad. It’s the way they do things and our complaints won’t change anything. Might as well pay and stop complaining.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

Just demonstrates how backwards the place still is in many ways, albeit being capable of building shopping temples you won't find anywhere else.

It has been my observation that Thai people do not CARE what we think. They see these practices as perfectly acceptable. ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

These pink cards are a joke for farang, they are for migrant workers. 

If you read the back, it says you can't leave the province without written consent, so only can go to parks in your province 

Yeah they are bloody useless for farangs as no Govt or private place accepts them ! Effectively they come Free with your Yellow House Book so I got one to conclude that process.
Good point about card restricted to province of Issue ! 
Thai Driving License accepted by ALL (as also Govt Photo ID) EXCEPT National Parks! ).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Yeah they are bloody useless for farangs as no Govt or private place accepts them ! Effectively they come Free with your Yellow House Book so I got one to conclude that process.
Good point about card restricted to province of Issue ! 
Thai Driving License accepted by ALL (as also Govt Photo ID) EXCEPT National Parks! ).

Only useless to some apparently.  As I have stated in other OPs I have used mine to open up bank accounts, obtain accounts at Home Pro, Power Buy, and Makro, all here in BKK while my Piink ID card is from Udon Thani. However after living here for 4 years, I had my address and yellow book changed to my current residence here in BKK, last year.  I also bought a Motor bike and bought my prior Porsche here in BKK with my yellow book, which was for the domicile in Udon as well as Using my Pink ID card. 

To some useless, others usefull, just depends on where you are one would guess.  The Pink ID card was also used a few times to check in for flights and obtain Thai prices at zoos and other venues, but that was then....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only useless to some apparently.  As I have stated in other OPs I have used mine to open up bank accounts, obtain accounts at Home Pro, Power Buy, and Makro, all here in BKK while my Piink ID card is from Udon Thani. However after living here for 4 years, I had my address and yellow book changed to my current residence here in BKK, last year.  I also bought a Motor bike and bought my prior Porsche here in BKK with my yellow book, which was for the domicile in Udon as well as Using my Pink ID card. 

To some useless, others usefull, just depends on where you are one would guess.  The Pink ID card was also used a few times to check in for flights and obtain Thai prices at zoos and other venues, but that was then....

What can you do with a pink ID that I cant do with either a passport or driving license?

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

These pink cards are a joke for farang, they are for migrant workers. 

If you read the back, it says you can't leave the province without written consent, so only can go to parks in your province 

You always beat the same drum when it comes to the Pink ID.

Many foreigners have found them useful... (I am one of them).

You seem to have a strong dislike for the Pink ID, I’m not sure why. 

In the past you have accused those who hold the a pink ID of waving it around as if it gives them extra power etc... I have never witnessed such, but admit there could be a few tools who do so. 

But... the reality is the Pink ID and especially the Yellow Tabien Baan can be quite useful, although admittedly definitely not a necessity. 

I’ve opened bank account - with Pink ID & Yellow book.

Flown domestically - with Pink ID.

Obtained early Vaccinations - ID on Yellow Book (I don’t have a Tax ID here).

Renewed driving licence - with Pink ID & Yellow book.

Shown it to the Police at a checkpoint when they asked for Passport ID. 

Entered a couple of national parks - (some didn’t not accept Pink ID though !!)

The pink ID takes an extra 15 mins after getting the Yellow Tabien baan house book. There is no reason not to get it.

Now I know you will want to go on about how getting your Driving licence with the Pink ID theoretically prevents you from driving outside of the province... but thats just rubbish... the ID from the Yellow Tabien Baan is used (Same ID number) and that has no such restrictions, its just a proof of address.

(I know the yellow book doesn’t work at some DLT’s such as Pattaya, but it does in BKK).

I know the Pink ID and Yellow Tabien Baan are different and most of the advantages come with the Yellow Tabien Baan, but the additional time taken (15mins) to get the Pink ID are worth the conveivncne if you are already going through the process of the house book. 

Does holding a Pink ID make anyone special ??? ( as you have alluded to in the past that Pink ID holders think its a Thai ID and are special ).... Of course not, thats just stupid... But, it has been useful.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Interesting but Nothing that Thai Drivers License or, as last resort, Passport, cannot achieve, which is I guess my true amended point that there is “ no added value” with it ( some National Parks aside).

It is not, as you prove, “ useless”. 

Understand main problem for pink card acceptance is that the Thai version  of our name never matches our original Romanized Name…..

try deregistering your car with it when DLT want Passport …..for example.

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

What can you do with a pink ID that I cant do with either a passport or driving license?

Lose it without any major hassle...  I never go out with a passport, and photo copies get worn, laminate, fine... then the 15 mins extra (after getting the yellow book) is quicker than going somewhere and getting your passport copy laminated. 

Driving Licence...  there are things I have done with my Pink ID that I couldn’t with my driving licence (mileage of course varies - others will contradict I’m sure).

- Getting on a flight (can’t with a DL - I tried).

- Open a Bank Account (yellow book / Pink ID basically comes with it)

- Show As ID at a Bank (DL has never been accepted when I tired at a Bank, they wanted passport which I don't carry around with me). 

IF someone is getting a Yellow Tabien Baan house book for the advantages of that, then the extra 15 mins to get the Pink ID is no extra hassle... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Interesting but Nothing that Thai Drivers License or, as last resort, Passport, cannot achieve, which is I guess my true amended point that there is “ no added value” with it ( some National Parks aside).

It is not, as you prove, “ useless”. 

Understand main problem for pink card acceptance is that the Thai version  of our name never matches our original Romanized Name…..

try deregistering your car with it when DLT want Passport …..for example.

I sold my Porsche with it and had no problem, just needed all the sales paperwork to move the process along which included a COR, but still they copied my Pink ID card number down as well, as well it's the same number in my yellow Tabien Ban.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You always beat the same drum when it comes to the Pink ID.

Many foreigners have found them useful... (I am one of them).

You seem to have a strong dislike for the Pink ID, I’m not sure why. 

In the past you have accused those who hold the a pink ID of waving it around as if it gives them extra power etc... I have never witnessed such, but admit there could be a few tools who do so. 

But... the reality is the Pink ID and especially the Yellow Tabien Baan can be quite useful, although admittedly definitely not a necessity. 

I’ve opened bank account - with Pink ID & Yellow book.

Flown domestically - with Pink ID.

Obtained early Vaccinations - ID on Yellow Book (I don’t have a Tax ID here).

Renewed driving licence - with Pink ID & Yellow book.

Shown it to the Police at a checkpoint when they asked for Passport ID. 

Entered a couple of national parks - (some didn’t not accept Pink ID though !!)

The pink ID takes an extra 15 mins after getting the Yellow Tabien baan house book. There is no reason not to get it.

Now I know you will want to go on about how getting your Driving licence with the Pink ID theoretically prevents you from driving outside of the province... but thats just rubbish... the ID from the Yellow Tabien Baan is used (Same ID number) and that has no such restrictions, its just a proof of address.

(I know the yellow book doesn’t work at some DLT’s such as Pattaya, but it does in BKK).

I know the Pink ID and Yellow Tabien Baan are different and most of the advantages come with the Yellow Tabien Baan, but the additional time taken (15mins) to get the Pink ID are worth the conveivncne if you are already going through the process of the house book. 

Does holding a Pink ID make anyone special ??? ( as you have alluded to in the past that Pink ID holders think its a Thai ID and are special ).... Of course not, thats just stupid... But, it has been useful.

Fully Agree. Excellent Case. 
I used “ useless” emotionally based on my own experience of trying to use it first and getting it nearly always Rejected as ID in Banks, Govt.Hospitals ( of all places !) even Police! 

Truth is it adds “No Value” to TDL / Passport. I will not carry my Passport locally and still push ID / TDL.
Many govt. & Private offices will just NOT accept the pink card …..partly because some Thais think it reduces farang to migrant worker status ( true) & Thai name never fully matches our romanized name…..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

I used “ useless” emotionally based on my own experience of trying to use it first and getting it nearly always Rejected as ID in Banks, Govt.Hospitals ( of all places !) even Police! 

Truth is it adds “No Value” to TDL / Passport. I will not carry my Passport locally and still push ID / TDL.
Many govt. & Private offices will just NOT accept the pink card …..partly because some Thais think it reduces farang to migrant worker status ( true) & Thai name never fully matches our romanized name…..

Funny, my Thai script when translated matches my romanized name exactly.

42 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

The added value is convenience.... 

It's not a necessity, but no one is claiming it is. 

But there are those who seem to hate the Pink ID (for some reason) keep claiming it's useless, its not, it can be handy to carry and I have found life with the Pink ID more convenient than without. 

The last time I used it was to board a domestic flight....   It was in my wallet and easer to get at than my passport which was tucked away in my carry on (a very minor convenience). 

I am about to use my Thailand ID number to register a motorcycle in my name (thats more yellow book than pink ID though). 

Additionally - The Thai Migrant workers card (Non Thai Identification card) is a slightly different format than the Pink ID card issued with the Yellow Tabien Baan for foreigners and is applied for through a completely different process...

10 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I agree. When my Thai wife and I go browsing in the local markets and she decides to look at clothes for herself, I always make sure I am out of sight from the vendor. That way she always gets a Thai price quote. If the vendor sees that she is with a foreigner the quote often doubles. Once the purchase is agreed I step in and hand her the correct amount. The disappointed looks on the vendors' faces are priceless. ????

Same with building services, car repair, Homepro equipment haggling, markets of course. 

22 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Your assessment is completely wrong. A study back in 2007 showed that the dual pricing deterred visitors.

It also isn't cheap - a couple of days in ANY national park, whether a waterfall of the biggest in the country is otfen more expensive than staying in a 4 star hotel.... and ten there is accommodation on top.

the fact is that no-one cares amongst visitors because they don't want to go with the dual pricing. If it was removed it is predicted visitor numbers would increase and income for national parks themselves would increase.

You are aware how the parks are funded?

Basically it isn't by entrance fees alone, they have government finding. Unfortunately any new parks have been set up and opened but the overall funding isn't increased. Wages for employees are so low that often the only way they cn survive is by accepting bribesfrom or helping poachers and other illegal activity.

The NPs are the last remaining major natural resource at Thailand's disposal and the need to be competently and professionally managed for conservation - dual pricing is just one symptom of how the entire National Park Sytem is mismanaged and damages both the country's conservation effects and reputation as a tourist destination.

PS - I first visited Thailand in the early 1990s and lived and worked there for nearly 20 years. I've stayed at NPs all over the country and taken people on tours there - one of the main obstacles has always been sorting out the fees for visiting or staying there.

''The NPs are the last remaining major natural resource at Thailand's disposal and the need to be competently and professionally managed for conservation''

Surely you should be happy to contribute a few dollars to something you seem pretty passionate about? They are national parks for national people, if you are a vistitor that wishes to see it then pay a a few quid and be happy you are contributing to the upkeep of these beautiful places.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The added value is convenience.... 

It's not a necessity, but no one is claiming it is. 

But there are those who seem to hate the Pink ID (for some reason) keep claiming it's useless, its not, it can be handy to carry and I have found life with the Pink ID more convenient than without. 

The last time I used it was to board a domestic flight....   It was in my wallet and easer to get at than my passport which was tucked away in my carry on (a very minor convenience). 

I am about to use my Thailand ID number to register a motorcycle in my name (thats more yellow book than pink ID though). 

Additionally - The Thai Migrant workers card (Non Thai Identification card) is a slightly different format than the Pink ID card issued with the Yellow Tabien Baan for foreigners and is applied for through a completely different process...

In my case though, I got my Pink ID NOT at Municipal ( too corrupt I believe to be trusted with it) but at Interior Ministry which I believe issues Pink Migrant Cards ! SO possibly MY card is on migrant format ????????????

8 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

I rather doubt it somehow. Not asking for any proof mind. ????

It is OK, I do understand what your saying.  Mine was one of the first issued in one of the Udon Amphurs.  They insisted my US CDL, Passport and Wedding certificate were sent to Bangkok where it was transcribed and verified/certified by the MFA with that wonderful red stamp on the front and seal on the back, that took two weeks, and they wanted that completed before they would complete the yellow book and then the Pink ID Card.

Just now, TropicalGuy said:

In my case though, I got my Pink ID NOT at Municipal ( too corrupt I believe to be trusted with it) but at Interior Ministry which I believe issues Pink Migrant Cards ! SO possibly MY card is on migrant format ????????????

Also I have never taken any domestic flight not part of an Intl journey so never tried non- passport  if ! Used TDL for Hotel Stays here , Bank ID ( not ac opening) & govt. hospitals. Used Pink Card for Covid Jab process only ( to negotiate different Appt.).

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lose it without any major hassle...  I never go out with a passport, and photo copies get worn, laminate, fine... then the 15 mins extra (after getting the yellow book) is quicker than going somewhere and getting your passport copy laminated. 

Driving Licence...  there are things I have done with my Pink ID that I couldn’t with my driving licence (mileage of course varies - others will contradict I’m sure).

- Getting on a flight (can’t with a DL - I tried).

- Open a Bank Account (yellow book / Pink ID basically comes with it)

- Show As ID at a Bank (DL has never been accepted when I tired at a Bank, they wanted passport which I don't carry around with me). 

IF someone is getting a Yellow Tabien Baan house book for the advantages of that, then the extra 15 mins to get the Pink ID is no extra hassle... 

Surprised you cant get on a flight with a DL, I have multiple times.

Cant say carrying a passport for the 2 times I've opened a bank account in the last 25 years has been much of a hassle.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ed strong said:

''The NPs are the last remaining major natural resource at Thailand's disposal and the need to be competently and professionally managed for conservation''

Surely you should be happy to contribute a few dollars to something you seem pretty passionate about? They are national parks for national people, if you are a vistitor that wishes to see it then pay a a few quid and be happy you are contributing to the upkeep of these beautiful places.

Read my posts - I'm seriously concerned about how the national parks are managed, and as I've already said, the dual pricing system is a manifestation of the overall mismanagement of the nation; parks.

you realise that this is not the only way the parks are funded?

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Funny, my Thai script when translated matches my romanized name exactly.

The reason most airlines don't accept the non-Thai ID card is because it doesn't have your name in romanized script

Some foreigners I've met didn't even know it said non-Thai ID on the front. 

Hmmm… this has been a fact I have known for years. I simply don’t go to any of their parks etc because of this. I tire quickly with this sort of arrogant, zenophobic Thai nonsense wherever I meet it

On 6/6/2022 at 9:07 AM, KhunLA said:

Been talking about scrapping them for 20 yrs, and yet, they've done nothing but double them ????

OH ... you meant scrapping the current price, and instituting new, higher prices ????

the idea is to scrap dual pricing and introducing an equitable pricing scheme that also reflects the "value" of each individual National Park.

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

Cant say carrying a passport for the 2 times I've opened a bank account in the last 25 years has been much of a hassle.

The Pink ID has one use IMHO. 

You don't have to carry your yellow housebook, that some foreigners call "tabien baan" ????every 5 years to renew your driver's license. However, most DL centres don't accept it. 

Its not a substitute for the Thai ID as it doesn't have an electronic chip. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

The reason most airlines don't accept the non-Thai ID card is because it doesn't have your name in romanized script

Some foreigners I've met didn't even know it said non-Thai ID on the front. 

Neither do Thai ID,s have the names in romanized script. You sure you want to go down that road again, we have discussed this many times over you and I. Remember my Non Thai Pink ID does not have the same Info on the back that my GF's, whose from Myanmar, has on it.

12 minutes ago, sungod said:

However, you can't say to a bargirl, "pen khon Thai laew" while flashing it.