Deadly combination: Durian and beer puts woman in hospital; following death of soldier Chula doc issues warning

webfact

In a video she was semi-conscious, with her eyes rolling in her head and her boyfriend blowing in her mouth she started feeling hot with chest pains. She described difficulty breathing as if there was something stuck in her throat. Well that explains it !

• Thanks 1

Love durian. This was one of the first things Thais warned me about. Yet I have seen Thai throwing up after getting drunk first then eating durian. I guess when people are drunk they do stupid things.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Don't believe those who boast about drinking beer with durian," she warned.

I never touch durian.. problem solved.

Can't stand the smell it gives off like a deposit outside 7-11 by an ill-mannered Soi dog.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have ate durian and drank at the same time.  No problem.  Other than durian makes me burp with durian taste for hours afterwards whether drinking or not.

Durian myths and facts: The truth about its connection to alcohol, cholesterol, libido and more | Malay Mail

Durian Myths: The Truth About Durian and Alcohol, Cholesterol & More - HealthXchange

(Disclaimer: you can find articles saying it is deadly too)

Common myths and little-known facts about durian. — Graphic by Nurul Huda Mohd Dan

• Like 2

I love both durian and beer.I eat durian for breakfast so that it is out of my system by the time the happy hour comes around. While small amounts of durian are okay to eat with alcohol ,a whole 3 or 4 kg durian makes you feel bloated, and alcohol just doesn't taste good.

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
20 hours ago, webfact said:

top university doctor has confirmed it is true

No offense but I'd like a second confirmation, a top university doctor from a western country

I reckon it's all too much, it's hocus pokus, mumbo jumbo stuff.

It was not that long ago a bus driver was found dead in his bus because he had been drinking whiskey and eating LomYai.

Durian, LomYai it's a fruit and us Aussies don't eat fruit when drinking alcohol, there you go learn from the Aussies, EAT FRUIT RESPONSIBLY. 

Anyway, I got to go, I'm running late to see my witch doctor. 

• Haha 2

My goodness, Anutin is becoming very lax. Surely we need another nationwide lockdown with accompanying alcohol ban to remedy this grave situation? Oh, and better add a durian ban as well for good measure!

On 6/6/2022 at 12:41 AM, smedly said:

first I have heard of this

I wonder if there are other fuits that do this ?, is durian the only one

weird 

Here is a link to a pdf from a government agency.  It does not specify which fruits, only says ripe fruits, cheese and heated milk.  It does provide some additional information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjq_-zz2pr4AhU1MX0KHTUZCyIQFnoECBMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdhss.delaware.gov%2Fdph%2Ffiles%2Facetaldehydefaq.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3mOVf-00rh1POl7nd_zsjt

On 6/6/2022 at 11:30 AM, webfact said:

She has recovered now and posted that she had eaten the durian three hours before the beer and "forgot herself".

So it was not a case of having durian and beer at the same time, like you might have a bag of crisps or peanuts with your pint. Three hours is a long time gap before having the alcohol I would have thought. Watermelon takes about 30 minutes to digest, while other fruit like bananas and oranges take about 1 hour.

Edited by silver sea