Foreign driver’s pickup truck overturns early this morning in Pattaya, driver uninjured

webfact

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Furthermore, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, most vehicle collision fatalities occur in rollover crashes, and pickup trucks are three times more likely to roll over than other SUVs or cars."

Thanks for that. This has certainly been my observation since being here. I would never consider buying a pick up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A lot of people seem to think that - until it happens to them. Pick ups are notorious for tipping over in accidents, especially when they're driven into a ditch!

Yep that would do it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:
On 6/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...a Suzuki Swift holds the road like glue ha"

You mean they can hardly move?

They actually are pretty fast. Try before you judge.

I was commenting on his post, not on the car.   Read before you post.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Agree, too big for Pattaya roads. 

Most of the owners put huge wheels on which makes the truck much wider. 

It would be great in Australia. 

For all us old Brits who remember Carlos Fandango wheels.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, Moonlover said:

Thanks for that. This has certainly been my observation since being here. I would never consider buying a pick up.

I have had my old Ford Ranger 4x4 2.5l turbo diesel for over 20 years and over 443,xxx km and it hasn't fallen over yet. Showing signs of hard use, yes, but no way is it bent like that Raptor.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I have had my old Ford Ranger 4x4 2.5l turbo diesel for over 20 years and over 443,xxx km and it hasn't fallen over yet. Showing signs of hard use, yes, but no way is it bent like that Raptor.

That doesn't in any way alter the facts that pick ups are inherently more unstable than a regular passenger vehicle as pointed out by @Enoon in the link he provided here.

I could make a similar observation regarding motorcycling in Thailand having been accident free for the past 7 years.

One offs don't prove statistics wrong and there's no doubt that pick ups are the second most accident prone vehicles in Thailand after motorcycles and account for many of the road deaths and it's often because they do roll over over, spilling bodies out as they do so.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:43 PM, bbko said:

Obviously he was drunk, texting, asleep, high on weed.  Please feel free to add other baseless conlusions.

possibly he was stone cold sober and fully awake but is just a <deleted> driver. thats my baseless conclusion

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

One offs don't prove statistics wrong and there's no doubt that pick ups are the second most accident prone vehicles in Thailand after motorcycles and account for many of the road deaths and it's often because they do roll over over, spilling bodies out as they do so.

Possibly as they are also extremely common, a very practical vehicle for rural living. The fact that they get used to transport people adds to the stats. I expect the fact that mine is a Hi-Rider raises the centre of gravity, that might make it likely to roll if I took a bend overly fast... so  I don't.  I see so many conditions where my ground clearance seems necessary I wonder how regular little cars manage. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Possibly as they are also extremely common, a very practical vehicle for rural living. The fact that they get used to transport people adds to the stats. I expect the fact that mine is a Hi-Rider raises the centre of gravity, that might make it likely to roll if I took a bend overly fast... so  I don't.  I see so many conditions where my ground clearance seems necessary I wonder how regular little cars manage. 

There's nothing wrong with having the right vehicle for the job and if your circumstances warrant it, that's fine.

I lived in the middle east for many years and always had 4 X 4s there. That was because I used to love weekend camping trips out in the desert where you would never dare venture without one. But I was always cautious when driving them on normal roads, because they too can show some very nasty tendencies if you take your eye off the ball, especially in the wet.

I took my son to school this morning. as usual headlights on so that people can see me.

On the way back a pickup passed me, overtaking me in a school zone on the wrong side of the yellow line, lowered suspension, Carlos Fandango wheels, and either a chipped ecu or 3 stokers pouring diesel in with 50% coming out of the exhaust pipe as dark as a thunder cloud of wasted fuel.

A feejit if ever I saw one.

A mobile accident just looking for somewhere to happen. Fortunately he went a different way to me.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text