Drunk "PR" woman in cab says she awoke to find taxi driver raping her

webfact

6pm.jpg

Cap: Daytime danger

Sanook reported on an alarming case of alleged rape of a woman who works as a PR for an alcohol firm who claimed she was raped by a Bangkok area cabbie last Saturday morning in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi.

She has warned all women about getting into taxis especially if drunk even in the light of day. 

The driver - now in custody - denied rape and other charges laid against him.

Sanook reported that the Bang Bua Thong police yesterday arrested Pholawat, 32, on a charge of forcible rape when the victim was unable to resist, drug taking (Class 1) and theft. He was picked up at his house in Khu Rat, Bang Bua Thong on a warrant. 

CCTV showed him picking up a woman dressed in a black outfit with black shots carrying a white bag at 8 am on June 4th on Kanchanaphisek Road outside Bang Yai City. 

A second piece of CCTV evidence was at 8.52 when the ride ended on the Bang Kruay to Sai Noi Road and she got out.

"B" 28, said she works for an alcohol company as a PR woman. She was already drunk when she went to continue drinking at a friend's house in a housing estate in the area. 

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTcxNC84NTc0MjA2LzE2NTQ3NTg1MTcxMjYuanBn.jpg

Picture: Sanook

At 7.40 am she decided to go home, got in a taxi and promptly passed out. 

She said that when she awoke her shorts and panties had been removed and she was lying on the back seat and the driver was raping her. After this he took her to the Bang Kruay to Sai Noi Road.

Pholawat admitted taking her and said she had been asleep the whole way and he used his hand to try and wake her. But he got aroused and stroked her leg. He then went to a deserted area leading up to a snooker hall.

She wouldn't wake up. He got into the back with her and removed her shorts and panties but then she woke up and said she was pregnant so he stopped and put her lower garments back on and just asked her to use her hand to make him climax.

He claimed that as he was about to climax he pushed her hand away but she insisted on continuing. He said he was just a guy who got aroused and there was no forced rape involved.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTcxNC84NTc0MjA2LzE2NTQ3NTg3MTU0NjMuanBn.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The victim said that she came up with the pregnant story to make him stop. She said that after the rape he took her to the main road and left stealing her phone. She then went to the police.

She warned other women that even in broad daylight not to trust taxi drivers and this person was a menace to society who she intended to see prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

She said that since the incident she has been on drugs to prevent disease and anti-depressants and has been unable to work for days what with the stress of it all.

She was happy with the police's work but wished it had never happened. She wondered how such a man with so many charges against him could get a taxi licence. 

The driver denied all charges. 

He has been prosecuted in the past for a string of drug taking and drug possession charges in Taopoon, Chana Songkhram and Khok Kham police jurisdictions as well as a charge of breaking curfew. 

He was detained and police opposed bail. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

She wants him punished to 'the full extent of the law' but we know what that means...1,000 Baht fine and back to work the next day as if nothing happened !

So asinine.  Since when have "we all known" that the punishment for rape and theft is "nothing more than a B1000 fine?"

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We all know she was careless and reckless with her own safety. 

A realistic view of the world makes us realise that we need to take caution.

But, that does not mean those who don’t should be blamed for their naivety. 

One person only is to blame for the rape.

This is guys excuse makes it sound that he doesn’t even know what he did was wrong. 

One of the key issues here is the way these issues are handled and excused. 

Responsibility is of course a grey area, the woman should have been more responsible to protect herself. 

But society should ask the question, why should she have to ? she should be free to get in a taxi in a bikini at 4am and still feel safe - sadly we don’t live in that world. 

-----

While I was dating my now Wife (who lived with her parents), she either drove, or, if we wanted to drink I took her home to her parents house in a taxi - she didn’t want to take a taxi alone at night, and I wouldn’t let her. 

• Like 1

So it was like 7 o’clock in the morning and this lady is already drunk and gets into a taxi where is the taxi driver gets aroused and gets a hand job or something that he still has your phone I’m sure the taxi driver will come up with an unbelievable excuse for his actions TIT

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So that means he blames her. People get drunk, got nothing to do with being raped. A taxi driver has to take you to your destination safely, not raping you whatever your condition is. Is that so difficult to understand?

Well he also said: "him for being a consistant Drug Menace and Rapist and the Police for allowing this Man to continue as a Taxi Driver with multiple Drug Offences to his name."

Is that so difficult to understand?

• Like 2

He said. She said.

She was probably attractive, and clearly drunk.

He's a man.

I would say that many of us have had to spurn the advances of drunk women before.

His story sounds believable.

Thai men can be awful.

Thai women are often attractive... and 'pretties' especially so.

There's no clear answer here, but many members will automatically blame the taxi driver.

Edited by 2long
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

"He has been prosecuted in the past for a string of drug taking and drug possession charges in Taopoon, Chana Songkhram and Khok Kham police jurisdictions as well as a charge of breaking curfew. " This does not make him a morning rapist.

Edited by 2long

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I blame both of them and the Police.   Her for getting stupid drunk; him for being a consistant Drug Menace and Rapist and the Police for allowing this Man to continue as a Taxi Driver with multiple Drug Offences to his name.

She wants him punished to 'the full extent of the law' but we know what that means...1,000 Baht fine and back to work the next day as if nothing happened !

What the hell has the police todo with a taxi driver license? NOTHING!!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well he also said: "him for being a consistant Drug Menace and Rapist and the Police for allowing this Man to continue as a Taxi Driver with multiple Drug Offences to his name."

Is that so difficult to understand?

I don't care what he also said, I take offense in blaming her. That is something you fail to grasp.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes they will quite  rightly blame the  rapist for his  actions.

Being an attractive  woman does not make you  rape fodder

"I would say that many of us have had to spurn the advances of drunk women before."

You might say that but I suspect  the reverse  is true- it's drunk men pestering women.

Anway you seem confused. Spurn them or rape them? Which is it? Do you know the difference?

Many people would consider your views a form of toxic  victim blaming and an excuse for not  just a terrible  act of violence  but a betrayal of trust.

'his actions' are not confirmed. Nor are hers.

I have certainly drunkenly pestered women in my past. Have you?

Thanks, and yes... i know the difference.

I know I have spurned drunken women, but raped no one. How about you?

'many would consider' is your opinion.

We don't know what happened. That's all I'm saying.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. That is blaming her. Would you  blame a man for getting raped because he was drunk?

Well I'd blame anyone who gets so drunk he/she passes out in a cab at 8am. I see it as inappropriate behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

women flashing any shoulder or knee.. 

Yeah, just flashing her knee! Or being absolutely unconscious in the public place after consuming 1 liter of alcohol?

Edited by Hellfire

31 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well I'd blame anyone who gets so drunk he/she passes out in a cab at 8am. I see it as inappropriate behaviour.

I wouldn't say "blame" per se, but it is a very unwise thing to do, regardless of gender, and I would advise against it.  I'm sure most people would at least think "why oh why did you do that?".

It is, unfortunately, very difficult to tread the line between warning people to be responsible and saying they are to blame for what happened to them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Probably.  If a man got drunk and was robbed, people would blame the man for being drunk.

Even if some man was raped - they would blame the man in the first place. For him totally losing control of himself. 

Edited by Hellfire

16 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Yeah, just flashing her knee! Or being absolutely unconcious in the public place after consuming 1 liter of alcohol?

She was wearing shorts, fell asleep in a taxi... 

It was also 8 am, so assume so assume she was extremely tired and, yes, drunk. 

Is any of that deserving of sexual assault / rape ?... of course not.

Did she place herself at risk? yes.... but that does not place the blame on her. 

If we live in a society whereby we think... well, what did she expect, wearing shorts and drunk?... then something is very very wrong with society. 

So blame, no - defiantly not. 

But she was silly and naive not to be more careful knowing sad and disappointing realises of normalisation and attitudes towards sexual assault in Thailand.