Dumb question

Figure on housing, studio or one BR, 6 to 10K though possible for less. Utilities 1000-2500 depending on your need for constant AC.

That leaves 25 to 30K for food and anything else.  Easy if most of your meals are self cooked or simple Thai food.  

Entertainment/beer..whatever else you can squeeze out but you will need to allow for travel expenses, visas, incidental health care.

Very doable if you can live a quiet, simple lifestyle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On holidays i typically spent 1000 baht a day plus hotel plus tours.

So 30,000 baht plus long term room works out 40,000 baht.

I could go to 50,000 baht though.

Some of those 400 baht rooms in cm or isaan are pretty decent even if i stayed short term.

1500 baht a day is 45,000 baht. Backpacker flashpacker budget.

Yes, you could. 10k an apartment, 5k for food (cooking at home), 5k other expenses and 20k for some kind of an entertainment. Quite possible. Things can change a bit, though, with the influx of foreigners at the end of 2022. But I don't expect this being a drastical change.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

Yes, you could. 10 k an apartment, 5 k for food, 5 k other expenses and 20 k for some kind of an entertainment. Quite possible. Things can change, though, with the influx of foreigners at the end of 2022. 

True. 90% of my trips were low season. So i would do that. April til october. Room prices are so cheap in june even at beaches.

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

Is this a follow up to:

I'm sure there are more suitable solutions than existing in Thailand on 40,000 baht a month for 8 or 9 months.

Living in Australia wouldn't be on the list. 40K there would have you living under a bridge.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

50 baht in 7/11. 2 a day. 3000 baht a month. Extra in bars.

so you're not a total p***head then. that's good, saves you a bit of dosh.

I'm on an austerity kick at the moment because the markets are choppy. I'm limiting my self to six 490mL cans of Heineken per day. I buy the plastic-wrapped 2 packs at B119 each at the 7-11. sorry environment but what I can do?

when the markets pick up I'll be back to my old life of paying silly prices for beers and lady drinks down at the club. WAGMI. ????????????????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Is this a follow up to:

I'm sure there are more suitable solutions than existing in Thailand on 40,000 baht a month for 8 or 9 months.

1 im so bored

2 ive never had a trip longer than 4 weeks

3 if i get sick of it might only stay 6 months.

4 my mates think its a good idea

5 ive been there 14 times, speak thai a bit, feel at home.

6 i can do side trips to laos and cambodia

If i stay 6 months at 45,000 baht a month thats only $10,800. I spend that at home doing zip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

so you're not a total p***head then. that's good, saves you a bit of dosh.

I'm on an austerity kick at the moment because the markets are choppy. I'm limiting my self to six 490mL cans of Heineken per day. I buy the plastic-wrapped 2 packs at B119 each at the 7-11. sorry environment but what I can do?

when the markets pick up I'll be back to my old life of paying silly prices for beers and lady drinks down at the club. WAGMI. ????????????????

Where do u live?

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

If i stay 6 months at 45,000 baht a month thats only $10,800. I spend that at home doing zip.

So what will you do after the 6, 8 or 9 months is up?  That should be a bigger consideration than going to Thailand on a pittance and playing around with border runs.

• Like 1

I certainly did it for years and I never felt like I wanted for anything.  It's always been my way to live simply and modestly and that is what I did.  I went out socializing several nights a week, played in multiple pool leagues, drank beer and spirits as I wished.  I owned my motorcycle, paid a modest rent and mostly ate Thai food as I like it.  

I would withdraw 20K baht twice a month and usually had a couple of thousand extra to put under me pillow when all was said and done every month.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

1 im so bored

2 ive never had a trip longer than 4 weeks

3 if i get sick of it might only stay 6 months.

4 my mates think its a good idea

5 ive been there 14 times, speak thai a bit, feel at home.

6 i can do side trips to laos and cambodia

I spent some time in Ubon Ratchathani many moons ago. I went and stayed with an American fella that I'd met in Bangkok. 

he introduced me to one local fella who had a Honda Civic and a French fella who rode one of those little baby step-through motorbikes. 

The Thai guy drove us around a couple of times including one to a restaurant on a river that was some ways out of town. we are jumping shrimp and sticky rice, it was awesome.

The French guy needed to go to immigration and invited me along. it was a fairly long trip and I'm not exactly sure where we went but after immigration he took me to a river near the border with Lao or Cambodia (sorry my geography brain has shut down for the night).

point is that I had a really great time running around the countryside in private transport. maybe consider renting or even buying a motorcycle to get around if you're an experienced rider and/or have the requisite skillset. 

Just now, treetops said:

So what will you do after the 6, 8 or 9 months is up?  That should be a bigger consideration than going to Thailand on a pittance and playing around with border runs.

Find a new job or do what im doing. Ive been bored for 3 years now.