Renewing UK Passport.... 11 WEEKS Waiting Time!!

38 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And what I think is also to be appreciated about Thai passport renewals is that your mugshot is taken as part of the process. No need to worry about running the risk of obtaining mugshots which are a micro-millimetre out in prescribed photo and/or facial sizes and/or whose background colours are the wrong hue of plain cream or plain light-grey on the basis of HMPO's over-fussy requirements!

Very true. My 4 year old daughter loved the attention she had with 3 of the staff making sure her hair was just right for the pic 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:36 PM, OJAS said:

So would I be correct in inferring that you live in Bangkok. - or maybe even in 1 of the residential units in With-It Tower itself?

Well. you'd be wrong- So would I be correct in inferring that you are one of those who find difficulty in blowing your nose without assistance ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, samtam said:

The passport has your current Extension of Stay / or Visa and that alone should be proof of residency in Thailand. But hey, why not overkill with documentation.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

It is. An extra copy of that page of your passport labelled "Evidence of Residence" should suffice.

The instructions regarding supplying name and address and/or residency evidence, in Table A, are certainly very clear advising that a visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) is an acceptable method, though I'm led to believe that VFS actually find the instructions from HMPO unacceptable and have made up their own requirements.

I'd be interested to hear if members have successfully challenged VFS on this?

• Like 2

Just as an update re waiting times, I was interested to note comments on a Daily Telegraph article in the last couple of days where several reported getting their new passports in 3 or 4 weeks after applying online. I don't know how it works in the Passport Office, but I wonder if online applications can be dealt with remotely by staff "working from home", while paper applications, including ours, sit in a pile waiting to be dealt with by the few who actually turn up to an office - or is there another explanation?

Whatever the reason, the advice seems to be that if you need to replace your passport urgently, the best way is to go back to the UK and apply online there.

2 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Just as an update re waiting times, I was interested to note comments on a Daily Telegraph article in the last couple of days where several reported getting their new passports in 3 or 4 weeks after applying online. I don't know how it works in the Passport Office, but I wonder if online applications can be dealt with remotely by staff "working from home", while paper applications, including ours, sit in a pile waiting to be dealt with by the few who actually turn up to an office - or is there another explanation?

Whatever the reason, the advice seems to be that if you need to replace your passport urgently, the best way is to go back to the UK and apply online there.

Online applications can only be done inside the UK. in Thailand they are submitted through VFS.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Online applications can only be done inside the UK. in Thailand they are submitted through VFS.

I know, that's why I said your quickest way to get a new passport is to go back to Blighty to apply for it.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

Just now, Eff1n2ret said:

I'd considered doing that if we visited the UK in the near future, but was put off by the media stating that in person fast track appointments weren't available.

I've done a couple of searches of the appointment system and discovered that whilst appointments were not generally available, they often were in the evening, Thai time. I didn't go as far as making a ghost appointment, to ascertain where appointments were available, as I didn't want to reserve a slot I wasn't going to use.

I've heard that applications via the Post Office can be quicker, maybe they go through a different route.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

I've done a couple of searches of the appointment system and discovered that whilst appointments were not generally available, they often were in the evening, Thai time.

The article where I saw the comments was about a chap who set up an app to scan the appointment system:-

A data scientist found a way to beat the passport renewal queue – and save dozens of holidays

(telegraph.co.uk)

That might help a few people, but my point was that some commenters were suggesting that applying online worked well enough for them, and apparently waiting times are far shorter than if you submit a paper application, as we have to in Thailand.

7 hours ago, theoldgit said:

The instructions regarding supplying name and address and/or residency evidence, in Table A, are certainly very clear advising that a visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) is an acceptable method, though I'm led to believe that VFS actually find the instructions from HMPO unacceptable and have made up their own requirements.

I'd be interested to hear if members have successfully challenged VFS on this?

When I initially said I did not have proof of address with me the clerk asked about my EoS validity, and said that "might be accepatble". In the interim, I managed to get a copy of a recent bank statement, so any posible delay was averted, as she allowed me to go and download the LINE message with the photographed copy, have it colour copied in the nearby office. So, in answer to your question, I think she probably would have allowed me to proceed with my application on that basis.

Anyway, It's still "only" 6 weeks since I made my application, so theoretically only just over halfway through my waiting time of 11 weeks.

Edited by samtam

7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I wonder whether it might also have something to do with the current furore about passport delays generally and with the possibility of HMPO as a result pulling out all the stops to ensure that all our compatriots back in Blighty who are in need of new passports get these in time for their summer hols on the Costa del Wotsit or wherever, to the detriment of waiting times for us humble second-class citizens renewing from LOS. Might be interesting to see where things stand on this front in 3 months' time.

I will report on my PP renewal as it happens using an agent., starting here today....

Sent my PP and completed forms etc to the agent via EMS post, they emailed me to say all is OK, put the fee into this bank account.....

I did that on 23rd June, yesterday, 29th June, I got an email from VHS at Trendy, saying my application has been sent to Her Majesties Passport Office UK....????

Wait for the next episode, problem or no problem...????

26 minutes ago, transam said:

I will report on my PP renewal as it happens using an agent., starting here today....

Sent my PP and completed forms etc to the agent via EMS post, they emailed me to say all is OK, put the fee into this bank account.....

I did that on 23rd June, yesterday, 29th June, I got an email from VHS at Trendy, saying my application has been sent to Her Majesties Passport Office UK....????

Wait for the next episode, problem or no problem...????

Using an agent, April 21st VFS emailed that application had been sent to HMPO. Last week, June 20, received email from VFS saying new pp was ready for collection. However, that was just before the rail strikes in England, which I suppose might cause some indirect delay.

Edited by TKDfella

41 minutes ago, transam said:

Trans - as a matter of interest was that the agents fee or the agents fee and a HMPO fee?

9 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Trans - as a matter of interest was that the agents fee or the agents fee and a HMPO fee?

Because I was using the agent's UK credit card I had to pay it all, he made a few quid me using his card...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, garygooner said:

Has anyone had a problem using their Thai credit/debit card for payment?  

You could email VHS Trendy and ask if the UK will/can take payment from the card you have. Pointless filling in the C.card form and it being rejected when you apply.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garygooner said:

Has anyone had a problem using their Thai credit/debit card for payment?  

OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

"We accept Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB. You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction, and that adequate funds are available."

It depends on your card provider - ask them.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:51 AM, transam said:

will report on my PP renewal as it happens using an agent., starting here today....

Sent my PP and completed forms etc to the agent via EMS post, they emailed me to say all is OK, put the fee into this bank account

How long will they keep your passport for? Do they send it to VFS? 

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, garygooner said:

How long will they keep your passport for? Do they send it to VFS? 

Thanks. 

Best to ask the agent. My understanding is that they have to submit the passport along with the application. Whether they send them or take them along to VFS as a batch of clients' applications, or whether they then return the passport to you pending receipt of the new passport is also something you should ask them. The passport has to be re-submitted when the new passport is available for collection. They shouldn't be hanging on to your passport for weeks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Submitted my UK passport renewal application earlier this week at Trendy House. VFS service was swift and efficient - in and out in 15 minutes.

But ... I was told that the waiting time for a new passport remains 11 weeks.

On a brighter note, I offered my current P60 or a Bangkok Hospital appointment slip as evidence of my address (the latter bears address & photograph): both deemed acceptable proof.

• Thanks 1

Just a bit of additional info:

I got my new passport [UK] a week or so ago [via an agent in Pattaya] and on Monday this week went to my local Immigration Office to have my stamps transferred.  They transferred all the necessary stamps [took TWO pages in my new passport] with no charge.  I had been supplied with the required Embassy letter of request - they did check for the official embossed stamp on the letter to ensure it was an original.

Using the new passport I then changed my details at the two banks I use - Bangkok Bank issued a new passbook whereas Kasikorn just did a computer change.

All in all - no hassle, just a bit of time.

Just out of interest - the Immigration Office checked my 90 days which I had renewed on-line while my passport application was being processed in UK.  Don't know why but it was no problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Just a bit of additional info:

I got my new passport [UK] a week or so ago [via an agent in Pattaya] and on Monday this week went to my local Immigration Office to have my stamps transferred.  They transferred all the necessary stamps [took TWO pages in my new passport] with no charge.  I had been supplied with the required Embassy letter of request - they did check for the official embossed stamp on the letter to ensure it was an original.

Using the new passport I then changed my details at the two banks I use - Bangkok Bank issued a new passbook whereas Kasikorn just did a computer change.

All in all - no hassle, just a bit of time.

Just out of interest - the Immigration Office checked my 90 days which I had renewed on-line while my passport application was being processed in UK.  Don't know why but it was no problem.

How long did you have to wait for your new passport?

Ojas - I submitted my documents to my agent on 3rd April.  A couple of weeks later I had an email from VFS to say my application was now in the UK.  The passport was issued [passport details] on 30th June and I received it shortly after by mail from my agent.

There was a slight delay in the UK as I was the holder of 2 passports but now only need one and a couple of emails with the Liverpool Overseas department sorted that out in about a week.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Ojas - I submitted my documents to my agent on 3rd April.  A couple of weeks later I had an email from VFS to say my application was now in the UK.  The passport was issued [passport details] on 30th June and I received it shortly after by mail from my agent.

There was a slight delay in the UK as I was the holder of 2 passports but now only need one and a couple of emails with the Liverpool Overseas department sorted that out in about a week.

Hope that helps.

Thanks - so give or take still around the 11 weeks being officially advised then.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:32 PM, Upnotover said:

You cannot use it for travel, that's all.  It is cancelled on the UK database when they receive the application there.  Thai immigration will have no knowledge of that.  The corner is not clipped until you receive the new passport.

Mine was clipped when it was taken for renewal at the Trendy office. For the next 90 day report, just do it online.

• Confused 1