Is Thailand creating a Cannabis tourism empire?

webfact

When I read this article it reminds me of a cartoon I once saw years ago where a bunch of hippies are walking around all happily stoned and drugged out. Their surroundings look like what some might visualize heaven to be - full of sunshine, mountains, trees, beautiful flowers, birds, squirrels and bunny rabbits roaming about. The next morning when they awake, and reality hits, they’re living on a property littered with garbage, overgrown with weeds and old broken-down abandoned vehicles and rundown shacks. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

"It is an opportunity for people and the state to earn income from marijuana and hemp," said Anutin Charnvirakul

This is not marijuana as the rest of the world knows, but only hemp at 0.2% THC.  This is a joke and has not medical or other potential with this very weak strain of THC.

In California the THC of recreational "weed" is 20% - 33% THC.  I'm not sure what level of THC the medical grade is in the various US states that allow "medical marijuana".

From a non user of cannabis but none the less interested , how do you tell the difference between a .2% THC cannabis plant and one at 20-30% THC  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, superal said:

From a non user of cannabis but none the less interested , how do you tell the difference between a .2% THC cannabis plant and one at 20-30% THC  

One comes from the government and the other comes from one of the new shops that have popped up. ????

Serious answer, I really don't know but I would also be interested in the answer.

If the law were to be enforced, how would the basic plod know, is there some quick and simple test.

33 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

One comes from the government and the other comes from one of the new shops that have popped up. ????

Serious answer, I really don't know but I would also be interested in the answer.

If the law were to be enforced, how would the basic plod know, is there some quick and simple test.

Actually for the experienced toker, it's quite easy to tell, sight, smell, touch, and not much different from buying meats or fruits and veggies at the fresh market.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

"It is an opportunity for people and the state to earn income from marijuana and hemp," said Anutin Charnvirakul

This is not marijuana as the rest of the world knows, but only hemp at 0.2% THC.  This is a joke and has not medical or other potential with this very weak strain of THC.

In California the THC of recreational "weed" is 20% - 33% THC.  I'm not sure what level of THC the medical grade is in the various US states that allow "medical marijuana".

From what I've read, the 0.2% limit only applies to cannabis oil. 

There is no THC limit placed on weed that people will use recreationally. 

Still an odd law, I don't know the logic of it, but it won't affect 99% of those interested in recreational weed. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Actually for the experienced toker, it's quite easy to tell, sight, smell, touch, and not much different from buying meats or fruits and veggies at the fresh market.

I'd have to smoke some to tell you the strength.

• Confused 1

"Recreational use is wrong," Prayuth said. "If there are people doing that then it will be sorted out in time."

OK. So you have finally admitted this. And why are your simple minded underlings talking about making Thailand a cannabis destination, when outdoor smoking is prohibited, and so is recreational use of the stuff? Confusion reigns. Confusion is what Prayuth does best. It is something one often sees, accompanied by a terrible leader, with little ability. 

• Like 2

‘Is Thailand creating a Cannabis tourism empire?’

No, not on this side of eternity anyway!

Now, The Netherlands, Canada, Jamaica and the US can be called Cannabis tourism empires.

Try to imagine Thailand ever Being as unwinding, pleasant and relaxing as walking in a coffee shop in Amsterdam??

free tip, Stop trying to imagine that BEFORE your hair goes all white , Ok?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Seppius said:

I wonder what Thaksin Shinawatra thinks of all this? In his day you could not even whisper the word cannabis without fear of getting arrested

If you are confused Lamsak27. He had a massive drug war when he was PM of Thailand

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-thaksin-probe-idUSBKK30039820070802

Just now, Seppius said:

If you are confused Lamsak27. He had a massive drug war when he was PM of Thailand

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-thaksin-probe-idUSBKK30039820070802

Hardly massive, the main evil people slipped thro and around to this day peddling their wares. Just unfortunate he did not have enough time in office to carry on with the elimination of these evil people.  Certainly would not have had the farce of a convicted drug dealer holding high level posts in government like we have seen under Prayut.

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

Look forward to the chaos when the first few foreigners are arrested for abusing the new drug laws.

Bet it will be Thais also as the new stores must be Thai owned 

From Excel:

Hardly massive, the main evil people slipped thro and around to this day peddling their wares. Just unfortunate he did not have enough time in office to carry on with the elimination of these evil people.  Certainly would not have had the farce of a convicted drug dealer holding high level posts in government like we have seen under Prayut.

And what about the extrajudicial killings that claimed the lives innocent victims in the name of his drug war?

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All my middle class professional friends in the UK smoked MJ or snorted cocaine.

We always used to say, "snorting cocaine is god's way of saying you earn too much"

I would have thought they were exactly the kind of tourists Thailand wanted.

I remember being a kid and going into my older cousins bedroom when he wasn't home.  He had a plaque (mirror) on his desk that said.  Cocaine...rich man's aspirin.  

16 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

From Excel:

And what about the extrajudicial killings that claimed the lives innocent victims in the name of his drug war?

Collateral damage unfortunately and considering the 10s of thousands of mindless deaths caused by these evil drug dealers it must be considered acceptable as difficult as that may seem to accept. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I understand the difference, but where does it say that buds with more than 0.2% THC are legal?

For example in this article: https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40015370

A bud would also be a product, so selling buds with more than 0.2% THC would be illegal.

my suggestion at this stage of the game would be roll up a number and wait.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Excel said:

Collateral damage unfortunately and considering the 10s of thousands of mindless deaths caused by these evil drug dealers it must be considered acceptable as difficult as that may seem to accept. 

Collateral damage you say?

According to an investigative committee created by the military junta that ousted Thaksin in 2006, up to 2,800 people were killed the first three months of the campaign. That’s about 30 killings a day.

The Economist reported that the committee found that “over half of those killed had no links to the drugs trade. The panel blamed the violence on a government ‘shoot-to-kill’ policy based on flawed blacklists.”

Village chiefs and local police were using the drug was as a way of offing political opponents or just about anyone that had upset them in the past.

Children were left without parents and in some cases even children were shot.

I would hardly call that 'collateral damage'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

According to an investigative committee created by the military junta that ousted Thaksin in 2006, up to 2,800 people were killed the first three months of the campaign. That’s about 30 killings a day.

Sorry but if you believe anything the coup leaders said who then later went on to themselves murder innocent victims, including a nurse in the WAt during 2010 then I have seriously misunderstood you.

Just now, Excel said:

Sorry but if you believe anything the coup leaders said who then later went on to themselves murder innocent victims, including a nurse in the WAt during 2010 then I have seriously misunderstood you.

I hate all politicians equally, on both sides.

However, to paint Dr. Toxin as a hero and anything less than evil is very naive.

• Like 1

I thought the new strategy was to attract wealthy foreignersI have come into contact with wealthy people and they are more likely attracted to cocaine than marijuana(this based upon my professional experience of arresting people for narcotics offenses).  Now if a certain amount of cocaine was legal to purchase and consume without consequences than this might open the floodgates.  

Just now, Bert got kinky said:

I hate all politicians equally, on both sides.

However, to paint Dr. Toxin as a hero and anything less than evil is very naive.

I was not painting anyone a hero. As for being naive I have lived here 39 years so I suspect my understanding of  Thailand's intrigues may well be far greater than yours so please don't go down the road of naivety as it will bite you in the bum maybe. So let's just agree to disagree on that subject.