Just been rejected for covid extension - Phang Nga

Just been to my local immigation, and they have informed me that they are no longer giving covid extensions to people, unless they have a serious problem and the women gave the example of being from Russia or Ukraine.

I told her that its on the offical immigration website that they are able to offer the extensions and she said that she knows but it is what her "big boss" has told her.

I have only 4 days remaining on my current stamp, and I was wondering if you guys think its worth going to Phuket Immigration and trying my luck there?

I arrived here on exemption and extended for 30 days already, and before that I had 2 previous covid stamps and a ED visa. But I left the country for 2 months recently.

Any advice will be grand, thank you.

• Haha 2

They way off base for denying it.

You could try in Phuket. You would have to stay in hotel for at least one night for them to do TM30 report ask them for a screenshot to online report they will do to show immigration. You would use the hotel address for the application.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try in Phuket. You would have to stay in hotel for at least one night for them to do TM30 report ask them for a screenshot to online report they will do to show immigration. You would use the hotel address for the application.

Usually they are amazing there, I have never had an issue.

Regarding the hotel, can I book the hotel check in and go immigration the same day, or will of had to stay over night before I go to immigration?

Thanks for your advice.

12 minutes ago, WhaleBomb said:

Regarding the hotel, can I book the hotel check in and go immigration the same day, or will of had to stay over night before I go to immigration?

Best to stay over one night before going to immigration.

9 minutes ago, WhaleBomb said:
13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Usually they are amazing there, I have never had an issue.

Thanks for your advice.

The immigration officer does have the final say, anywhere. Although there's no official end to these extensions, local office bosses can and do make their own edicts.

Good luck on the Phuket shot.

I can't see why 400 or 500 baht for an extra night should be an issue if it reduces any appearance that you are desperate for another Covid extension. Not sure if Phuket immigration ask about how long you stay or plan on staying in the hotel.

2 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

@WhaleBomb....that's disappointing. ????   Would you mind sharing which office it was that denied it, and on what basis they specifically denied your case?

Phang Nga office, and they denied due to the "big boss" said only to people from Russia or Ukraine

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I must admit that I am more than somewhat surprised that covid extensions are still available, the rest of the known universe is getting back to something approaching "normal".

It's a fact of life that these extensions will come to an end sooner rather than later so best to get planning how you are going to proceed when that happens.

It has not really been a "Covid" extension for over a year now. Powerful figures support long stay tourism under current conditions, and need a label they can put on an "allow tourists to stay as long as they want" extension that will placate other decision makers who would prefer restricting tourism to those who visit for a short while, spend lots of money, and then leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhaleBomb said:

Just been to my local immigation, and they have informed me that they are no longer giving covid extensions to people, unless they have a serious problem and the women gave the example of being from Russia or Ukraine.

Russia/Ukraine is somehow related to Covid ????

35 minutes ago, WhaleBomb said:

Just a quick update, Grace from Thai Visa Centre will be able to do the visa for me for 6500. It sounds expensive but, if I was to go to Phuket it probably works out similar price in total and I don't have to leave my house, and there will still be a risk of being rejected in Phuket.

Do it 100%

Only way to deal with rubbish immigration office is to fight fire with fire.

Spend the dosh and enjoy your next couple of months. 

BTW you won't have an under consideration (most likely) so handy bonus. 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I must admit that I am more than somewhat surprised that covid extensions are still available,

Irreverent. They are still available. 

I didn't put the directive into the gazette. Thai gov did. 

Just a rogue office disregarding the directive 

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Irreverent. They are still available. 

Indeed they are, I just expressed surprise that they are.

@BritTim provided good reasoning as to why they are still on the books.

• Like 2

Looks to me like the immigration office in Phuket Town is still issuing covid extensions.  I was at their office today, and there is a sign posted for where these extensions are done.  Outside location under the big tent.

• Thanks 1

Phuket Immigration Rejected my 3rd  CE  BECAUSE I had had a Longstay ED Visa (after Visa Exempt / Amnesty / CE).

Rule Change some months ago. Just not possible for CE with that ED Visa issued during Covid here.

Don’t care what TV say either. Don’t know what you told or showed them 

I then got a one- time Family Visit Extention (Thai Child).  Then after looked at Visa Run / Tourist Visa …. too risky & expensive / disruptive.

TV Run same 22k costs as over -50 in - country agent non- financial 12 month Retirement Stay from TMT Visa, Soi Banzaan, Patong. Got That.

1 minute ago, swerve said:

Looks to me like the immigration office in Phuket Town is still issuing covid extensions.  I was at their office today, and there is a sign posted for where these extensions are done.  Outside location under the big tent.

Yeah but NOT with OP ED Visa.

Rule change three months ago…..

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Russia/Ukraine is somehow related to Covid ????

No. Just that anyone (all refugees I guess) entering Visa Exempt can convert to CE ( unless having any Longstay or Tourist Visa). 

Edited by TropicalGuy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

No. Just that anyone (all refugees I guess) entering Visa Exempt can convert to CE ( unless having any Longstay or Tourist Visa). 

Covid extensions are available to entry with a tourist visa. 

BTW folk do not "convert to covid extension" 

Entries from visa exempt and tourist visa can obtain covid extensions.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Covid extensions are available to entry with a tourist visa. 

BTW folk do not "convert to covid extension" 

Entries from visa exempt and tourist visa can obtain covid extensions.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/news/covid-visa-extension-to-continue-until-march-25

Yes, was thinking of the nine month STV (wrongly thought std 60-90 day TV not available). “Convert” the wrong term s/ b just “ extention”. 

1 minute ago, TropicalGuy said:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/news/covid-visa-extension-to-continue-until-march-25

Yes, was thinking of the nine month STV (wrongly thought std 60-90 day TV not available). “Convert” the wrong term s/ b just “ extention”. 

That is out of date info on a unofficial website. It has been extended twice since March. The newest date is July 24.