Repainting house woodwork

Twigtom

It's time for repainting the house doors and skirting boards etc and I want to have a high standard of finish. Eg.

1. Rub down, fill if needed, primer bare areas, dust off,

2. undercoat, 1 or 2 coats,

3. topcoat.

Visiting most of the superstores i see none of them seem to stock undercoat. When asked, their replies are"no stock" or " no need".

Their eventual suggestion is:-

1. Rub down then primer any bare areas then

2. Top coat, rub down then

3. another top coat.

Because the top coat is just like a transparent coloured varnish without much pigment, the finished results look poor.

Has anyone else had these similar issues, and if so have been able to find suitable undercoats from other suppliers to enable a quality finish.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Like 1

Can I suggest using a flat finish over your primer follwed by a couple of coats of gloss? Assuming you can buy flat finishes. 

But Thai gloss paints are vastly different to something you would find in the UK requiring the use of highly volatile AAA solvents where most UK paints thin or clean with parrafin or white spirit, aka "turps" or at a pinch petrol in the case of Hammerite when you don't have the proper thinners. And they do build up solidly very quickly. None of the paints are much cop against the 100% UV sunlight here of course or the heat.

My beloved painted doors etc in exterior emulsion to my horror but actually the white stayed white and still looks good whereas n adjacent door in white primer and white gloss is a delicate shade of cream now. The emulsion painted door also wipes clean - something no interior emulsions here tolerate as they simply wipe off!

Thailand certainly forces rethinks in many areas!

• Like 1