spanner size?

proton

25 minutes ago, proton said:

Not got one of those either

Yes but you would need to buy either 18 or 19, instead just buy an adjustable spanner, although not so good in confined spaces.

My pipes are 19mm to answer your question.

After reading Kawasaki's reply i went and checked the fittings in Bath and Kitchen at work (i know how sad) and they are a tight 23mm or comfortable 24mm

Best get the adjustable spanner.

Edited by Bangkokhatter
wrong info
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Yes but you would need to buy either 18 or 19, instead just buy an adjustable spanner, although not so good in confined spaces.

My pipes are 19mm to answer your question.

Most sold are 20mm. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Be very, very careful!

I ensure Madam keeps me around by being invaluable and fixing stuff.

If she discovers you are expendable ... :whistling:

well she did not get up until 1.30 and does not know how the TV works after 5 years, so I have some uses!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The pipes are inches so likely the nuts are some inch value, you know like 13/18 or something stupid like that.

Just to be pedantic there is no inch value per se,  there are several thread forms that have spanner’s with inch markings on them but they are all subtly and annoying different so a ½ AF is different from a ½ W and then you have the BA ones as well with just numbers and one of those is a virtual exact metric 6mm 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just to be pedantic there is no inch value per se,  there are several thread forms that have spanner’s with inch markings on them but they are all subtly and annoying different so a ½ AF is different from a ½ W and then you have the BA ones as well with just numbers and one of those is a virtual exact metric 6mm 

Are you sure?

61W89IkzXYL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I know in Thailand in some shops where we can buy drills, screws, etc. they offer different "sets" in metric or in imperial. And it is not just one converted to the other. They are actually different and exact according to whatever system they use.

I'm sure we all know that AF means across flats so it has no relation to the thread size.

OP might get lucky by wrapping a belt or something around the nuts in question and using his hand. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thanks for this information Crossy!  Now I know what I need to change my kitchen tap.  I don’t need reconstructive surgery on my hands after all!  ( Think Edward Scissorhands - but Tommy Taphands)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Not usually much pressure so I can grasp my nuts and twist them off.

Try it.

It would seem that's exactly what our OP's lady did, but she used pliers :whistling: