Most Excellent Bill Proposed to Boost Social Security $2,400

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

200 per month sounds quite modest and in the realm of the possible. Its not as if the proposal is to double it.

It's too much for those who still believe they'll be millionaire's one day and will then have to pay higher taxes to fund it ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mania said:

Ah the age old answer to everything...And if the rich say screw it I'm outa here?

Reminds me of the Parable of 10 men in a bar... 

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:...

https://thewealthnavigator.com.au/the-parable-of-10-men-in-a-bar/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

My wish list would include raising the cap on required contributions, top down military realignment which would reduce both the global policing stance and the accompanying budget, and treating earned civilian Medicare on the same basis as earned retired military (currently military retirees get global coverage while civilians get no coverage outside U.S. territory).

Non military expats have almost no political clout.

• Like 1

The US has to project military might around the world, and fight any wars

it deems necessary, in order to maintain and bolster dollar strength as the

world's reserve currency, a position it is not going to give up readily.

Something like 40% of the world's trade is conducted in USD, whilst the USA

itself only accounts for around 10% of international trade.

Protecting dollar strength is one means of restraining galloping inflation at

home, which is already at its highest in forty years. If the mighty dollar were

to fall, its purchasing power falls too.  The consequences domestically are

enormous. 

Mr Biden and the Dems have already figured this out. He wants a second

term. He can kiss it goodbye if inflation gets out of control.

4 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I need more money I deserve it.

the best!!!!   My dad once gave me like 3 million baht (conversion, of course) when I graduated college.

used it to help buy a house, made another 7 million baht.

life is not fair!!!!

now get a job  you lazy people!!!!  hahaahhahahahahahhahahahah

bitcoin all day, get rich and sleep!!!! 

poor people are the worst!!!!!  why can't everyone be born in a good family like I was???  not my fault.  American presidents get 10 million USD for one speech, that's fair!!!!  they can buy property for almost nothing, fair!!!!  bailouts for banks, fair!!!

just get as much money as you can....and YOLO!!!

Edited by Iamfalang

1 minute ago, hereforgood said:

A couple days ago on yahoo. For those on SS 

Thanks, since I do not receive SS and instead have a pension that gets a COLA adjustment each year it is why I asked the Q?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

200 per month sounds quite modest and in the realm of the possible. Its not as if the proposal is to double it.

A Scottish economist a couple of hundred years ago said that democracies ultimately fail because eventually the people vote themselves rich... 

of course in USA they seem to be finding plenty of reasons for the democracy to fail lately... I think there is something in the air or water... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

A Scottish economist a couple of hundred years ago said that democracies ultimately fail because eventually the people vote themselves rich... 

of course in USA they seem to be finding plenty of reasons for the democracy to fail lately... I think there is something in the air or water... 

200 more is rich?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

200 more is rich?

you don't need the 200 more to qualify... the 200 is on top of medicare and social security and all the spending programs... people live a long time now and the lifetime benefits are enormous... add in military pensions and disability... you may not think it is being rich, but ask a coal miner or steel worker who retired 200 years ago... 

• Haha 1

Social Security contributions are currently 6.2 percent of wages paid both by employee and employer for a total of 12.4 percent. Self-employed individuals pay the full 12.4. Currently, Social Security taxes are only levied on the first $147,000 of wage income.

Compare this with Federal income tax rates that go up to 37 percent and there is no income cap and is not limited to wage income. Federal income taxes go towards discretionary spending items. Military and defense account for over fifty percent of discretionary spending, so basically over half of Americans' Federal income tax goes toward the military. 

Yet Republicans attack Social Security and other entitlement programs as being too expensive. Social Security, even if the rates increase a bit and the cap is raised, seems a bargain to me when compared with Federal income taxes.

Then there's a separate discussion about where SS benefits go and where military spending goes, and why.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mania said:

How about something easier like cutting the insane Military expenditures per year?

How about shutting down some of the 700 US bases worldwide?

I did 24 years in the US military and when I was in a senior position in my sections around the world, towards the end of every fiscal year we'd have excess money in our budget and were told to spend it all, even if we didn't need to.  Office furniture/work equipment still good?  Who cares,  spend/buy newer stuff even though it wasn't needed.  Still have 10's of thousands of dollars in the budget? Find something to spend it on or next year's budget would be smaller and the higher ups didn't want that. 

A shameful waste of taxpayer money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bbko said:

I did 24 years in the US military and when I was in a senior position in my sections around the world, towards the end of every fiscal year we'd have excess money in our budget and were told to spend it all, even if we didn't need to.  Office furniture/work equipment still good?  Who cares,  spend/buy newer stuff even though it wasn't needed.  Still have 10's of thousands of dollars in the budget? Find something to spend it on or next year's budget would be smaller and the higher ups didn't want that. 

A shameful waste of taxpayer money. 

I have heard that same story from various arms of government.

Ahh my tax $$ at work!

• Like 2