Climate change: As Po River dries up, Italy's food and energy supplies are at risk

onthedarkside

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Where did I say nothing is natural?

I said climate change is caused by human behaviour.

https://www.un.org/en/climatechange

Is this the same UN that predicted "entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000" back in 1989.   

https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

It's laughable how many predictions have been and gone and I scratch my head in bewilderment how people can take this any more seriously than the guy who used to stand on street corners with the "end of the world is nigh" sign.   I personally take approach that when the rich folk who like to lecture us on climate change (such as Bill Gates and Barack Obama) stop building their mansions on the beach and instead build them several meters above sea level then I will start to take predictions of ice caps melting a bit more seriously.   

• Thanks 1

'If you are not a scientist, and you disagree with scientists about science, it's actually not a disagreement. You're just wrong. Science is not truth. Science is finding the truth. When science changes it's opinion, it didn't lie to you. It learned more.'

Anonymous poster FB

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Why do you believe that a mercury in glass thermometer from 1800's is less accurate than, say, a cheap  thermistor based measurement from today? 

Are you claiming the NOAA measurements are taken using a 'cheap thermistor based' device?

2 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

'If you are not a scientist, and you disagree with scientists about science, it's actually not a disagreement. You're just wrong. Science is not truth. Science is finding the truth. When science changes it's opinion, it didn't lie to you. It learned more.'

Anonymous poster FB

Since the scientist can't seem to agree, I'll stick with my own observations & research.  It has served me well in 'all' things.

I ignore most doomsday scenarios (though prepared enough), as they usually come with a sales pitch, or a justification to steal (tax) my finances.

23 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Yet we have cold temps and snow records. Power failures.

People voting is proof of nothing really.

Chinese co2 33% and going up

Aus 1.15%

Neither of which negates the facts that man made climate change is a real danger to us all.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I ignore most doomsday scenarios (though prepared enough), as they usually come with a sales pitch, or a justification to steal (tax) my finances.

If I believed the doomsday predictions, I would stock up on guns, ammo and shelf stable foods.

I couldn't change the outcome for the world, but I could certainly take any supplies from the 'gun less' liberals living next door.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Are you claiming the NOAA measurements are taken using a 'cheap thermistor based' device?

I use the 'ice core' research for my thoughts on climate change / warming.  With that, not much of a worry in my lifetime, or many generation to come.

My daughter will be safe, and that's all that matters.  She's anti kids, so don't think she'll be too concerned either.????

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Which floods are natural?

Which are man made?

Post a list

Climate change is man made because of our actions.

Read the links I have already posted twice in response to your posts.

1 hour ago, tjintx said:

How much contribution from the developed world would the mostly autocratic and corrupt rulers suggest to address this?   Maybe Bob Geldof could (funnel cash) to save them again.   Swiss bank accounts await.   It isn't just Africa, all of our corrupt 'leaders' are using this to fatten their wallets.   Using budgets, carbon credits, etc.  Biggest con of all time, step right up!

That's a different debate, I posted a chart on the rising temperature levels in Africa due to climate change, if you want to speculate on Bob Geldof and people fattening their wallets then you've missed the point entirely

21 minutes ago, James105 said:

Is this the same UN that predicted "entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000" back in 1989.   

https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

It's laughable how many predictions have been and gone and I scratch my head in bewilderment how people can take this any more seriously than the guy who used to stand on street corners with the "end of the world is nigh" sign.   I personally take approach that when the rich folk who like to lecture us on climate change (such as Bill Gates and Barack Obama) stop building their mansions on the beach and instead build them several meters above sea level then I will start to take predictions of ice caps melting a bit more seriously.   

Fortunately a lot more people are taking it seriously and the hope is we can take action to avert irreversible climate change.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Basically there are just too many humans on earth consuming finite resources.

From worldwatch

"Water is vital. Biologically, an adult human needs less than one gallon of water daily. In 2010, the U.S. used 355 billion gallons of freshwater, over 1,000 gallons (4,000 liters) per person per day. Half was used to generate electricity, one-third for irrigation, and roughly one-tenth for household use: flushing toilets, washing clothes and dishes, and watering lawns.

If 7.5 billion people consumed water at American levels, world usage would top 10,000 cubic kilometers per year. Total world supply—freshwater lakes and rivers—is about 91,000 cubic kilometers.

World Health Organization figures show 2.1 billion people lack ready access to safe drinking water, and 4.5 billion lack managed sanitation. Even in industrialized countries, water sources can be contaminated with pathogens, fertilizer and insecticide runoff, and heavy metals and fracking effluent."

Imagine the vast amounts of energy being wasted by humans serving no purpose while reading and posting stuff on websites.

Edited by userabcd

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Climate change is man made because of our actions.

Read the links I have already posted twice in response to your posts.

Which climate change? Which floods are caused by man and not nature?

What caused the 100 year low temps in Oz I posted?

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Fortunately a lot more people are taking it seriously and the hope is we can take action to avert irreversible climate change.

I don't normally have many positive things to say about China due to their human rights records but they have made big strides in tackling climate change and this will help a lot

China's Clean Air Campaign Is Bringing Down Global Pollution

China Reduced Air Pollution in 7 Years as Much as US Did in Three Decades

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't normally have many positive things to say about China due to their human rights records but they have made big strides in tackling climate change and this will help a lot

China's Clean Air Campaign Is Bringing Down Global Pollution

China Reduced Air Pollution in 7 Years as Much as US Did in Three Decades

https://www.iqair.com/us/blog/health-and-wellness/10-most-harmful-air-pollutants

Co2 not in the list

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure what point you are attempting to make?

Without China’s declines, the world would have seen average pollution levels increase since 2013 instead of drop, the researchers said. That’s because of worsening air quality in the industrialising countries of South and Southeast Asia and Central Africa.

air pollution not only contributes to climate change but is also exacerbated by it

You should know the difference between co2 and toxic pollution.

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure what point you are attempting to make? China has clearly carried out some good work no matter how much you try and avoid the issue

Without China’s declines, the world would have seen average pollution levels increase since 2013 instead of drop, the researchers said. That’s because of worsening air quality in the industrialising countries of South and Southeast Asia and Central Africa.

air pollution not only contributes to climate change but is also exacerbated by it

Yes, they are cleaning up their local environment for PR, all the while increasing their impact on global warming. 

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

You should know the difference between co2 and toxic pollution.

What difference does that make to the articles I've posted. I thought everyone know the basics without having to explain them, however free to do so and tell me how that affects the evidence I supplied and the positive effects of the policies they put in place.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What difference does that make to the articles I've posted. I thought everyone know the basics without having to explain them, however free to do so and tell me how that affects the evidence I supplied and the positive effects of the policies they put in place.

Cause they are 2 different things. Chinese co2 going up

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-chinas-carbon-emissions-grow-at-fastest-rate-for-more-than-a-decade/

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, they are cleaning up their local environment for PR, all the while increasing their impact on global warming. 

Well without that "PR" world average pollution levels would have increased since 2013 instead of drop