The REAL EV vehicle discussion thread.....

transam

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Are they complaining about the drivetrain or the options ?

ICE & EV manufacturers seem to have the drivetrains down to a science now with few real issues.  I do read complaints about the option people order, which is why I always get as few as possible, as I don't use, and they are the things that seem to have problems.

People complaining about missing a sale ... oh well.  You can do that about any product.   I suspected a govt incentive was coming, and was waiting for better specs.   So held off buying until they materializes.

Better research = better shopping experience ????

I think your missing the point limited number of EV owners on this forum equals limited feedback postive or  negative

If there was an EV forum is the US or UK  and they stated you can post in any language except English I wouldn't  expect the number of posts to be relative to the EV owners of those countries

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think your missing the point limited number of EV owners on this forum equals limited feedback postive or  negative

If there was an EV forum is the US or UK  and they stated you can post in any language except English I wouldn't  expect the number of posts to be relative to the EV owners of those countries

I posted all the EV vids I really needed to see, from one of the most experience EV owner in Thailand.  Along with many other EV reviewer on the internet/YT.  That and trust the EV owners on the forum.

Don't really need much else, as they confirmed my other, off forum research.

Don't think I missed anything, and researched extensive, as know it's shy of 1 mill baht outlay, so yes, intense research.  As I'm quite happy with the ICE version I have now.  Specs & numbers on paper don't lie, and actually a very easy decision for me.

45 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would say if you wanted to buy the EV car secondhand you would compare sell prices the same as any other motor. 

If the battery is nearing it's past sell by date I would knock of the price of a new battery.

The alternative for the seller would be to buy a new battery to sell it. 

Yes, but at the mo the cost of pulling a ride apart and installing a new battery unit is a lot of money.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Think it's going to be a long time before you see user friendly / DIY, battery maintenance on EVs.   As they are giving up a lot of income, due to low maintenance of EVs vs ICEs.  Lost revenue they aren't going to make easy for you to have by DIY battery maintenance.   

The constant every 10k kms upkeep, oil, belts and tune ups of ICEs is a huge part of their revenue stream.  EVs counter that, so cell replacement will be dealer only thing for years to come. 

Along those lines, and since EVs don't need 10km silly oil changes, they devised their own separate, maintenance money scam.   Here is the UK maintenance, to 'keep warranty' schedule for the ZS.   Only Buddha knows the silly hourly labor charge for this silliness.   Thankfully Thailand's cheap labor won't be a major issue.

MG's (TH) service estimate is ฿9k / 5yrs, so I worked it out to ฿16.2k over 8 yrs.  What a scam, but who isn't going to keep the car under warranty.

image.png.fcff6b3a8c19cec2b58ebecb0e59247e.png

image.png.f6be9633a13b6847dfc01f70ff9983d3.png

Think it's going to be a long time before you see user friendly / DIY, battery maintenance on EVs.   As they are giving up a lot of income, due to low maintenance of EVs vs ICEs.  Lost revenue they aren't going to make easy for you to have by DIY battery maintenance.   

Already small shops rehashing cells in the US and selling them on eBay to DIYers 

The constant every 10k kms upkeep, oil, belts and tune ups of ICEs is a huge part of their revenue stream.

Not of the manufactures.

EVs counter that, so cell replacement will be dealer only thing for years to come.  Some 3rd party vendors will be out there, but  slow market, especially in TH, as there really won't be a demand for them, the next 10 yrs.

Again, already going on in the US. 

The one big IF, nobody can really answer yet, so if owning an EV, your battery maintenance will go a long way to longevity and less headaches. 

Slower charging and keeping it in the 30-80% range, I believe is highly recommended.  Top up to 100%, when knowing you need.

Will definitely influence the 2nd hand market, so chose wisely if buying.  If you change cars every 3 year, EVs, maybe not the best investment for you.

More mandates will be needed to really get the second-hand market going.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Already small shops rehashing cells in the US and selling them on eBay to DIYers 

Not of the manufactures.

Again, already going on in the US. 

In TH, so don't care what's going on in USA, or anywhere else.  Market is too new here to establish a demand for battery service shops. Surely in the not too near future, as the locals are quite crafty that way.  And with inexpensive labor, great place to be, if owning an EV.

Did spot a couple conversion shops, if youR ICE is on the way out, and want to convert to electric.   That was pretty cool, if the rest of the vehicle will last long enough to justify the refit.

If service being done at the dealer to maintain warranty, manufacturer is benefiting.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, but at the mo the cost of pulling a ride apart and installing a new battery unit is a lot of money.

The new EV vehicle design I would say would have to be a design along the lines of the video that was a few pages back where they go to a drive through change battery for recharged one so in future they also have place like that to change out for a new battery.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The new EV vehicle design I would say would have to be a design along the lines of the video that was a few pages back where they go to a drive through change battery for recharged one so in future they also have place like that to change out for a new battery.

Sadly that won't happen.  Proprietary is where the money is.  They'll make it as difficult as possible, as long as possible.   They're giving up too much already, of the money stream they get from maintenance, since little to none is needed.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sadly that won't happen.  Proprietary is where the money is.  They'll make it as difficult as possible, as long as possible.   They're giving up too much already, of the money stream they get from maintenance, since little to none is needed.

Just needs in Thailand someone like the Tesla geezer an individual with money to build a Electric car like the one in that video. 

Surely the video itself inspires the idea to build future motors like that, it would me. 

I actually see the first wave of EV owners here either selling and buying new, as they do with their ICEs, but others, who will keep longer, until battery degrades to say 50% and only good for around town, will either keep as a 2nd car, or discard.

Myself, another battery for the solar would never hurt, and or keep for knocking around town, if still alive.

For younger folks, discarding as 'scrap', and who ever buys them, make use of the batteries or to the recycle markets.   Then the motors can go to the conversion kit shops, that will have spring up in the next 10 years.  Simply add them new fancy, cheaper batteries to the kit, for full conversion of the ICEs people can no longer afford to fuel, or mandated to the junkyard for not being 'green enough'.????

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Myself, another battery for the solar would never hurt, and or keep for knocking around town, if still alive.

I still remember the days of the first analogue mobile phones, when battery performance was so poor for the average business user that it was mandatory to carry around a second (spare) battery. 

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I actually see the first wave of EV owners here either selling and buying new, as they do with their ICEs, but others, who will keep longer, until battery degrades to say 50% and only good for around town, will either keep as a 2nd car, or discard.

For younger folks, discarding as 'scrap', and who ever buys them, make use of the batteries or to the recycle markets.   Then the motors can go to the conversion kit shops, that will have spring up in the next 10 years.  Simply add them new fancy, cheaper batteries to the kit, for full conversion of the ICEs people can no longer afford to fuel, or mandated to the junkyard for not being 'green enough'.????

Hydrogen is the solution to drive again a REAL car feeling ...this ev thing is doomed to succeed 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

Hydrogen is the solution to drive again a REAL car feeling ...this ev thing is doomed to succeed 

Hydrogen car isn't being developed for a reason.  Dream on.  Think you need to do a wee bit more research.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

Hydrogen car isn't be developed for a reason.  Dream on.  Think you need to do a wee bit more research.

same for you as they are on that Hydrogen bizzy already..... even on airplane trials with Hydrogen 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

ORA Good Cat price hikes after battery costs jump 500%

The price of key raw materials for battery production has increased by more than 40-500%

https://www.pptvhd36.com/news/ยานยนต์/175341

I assume other OEM 's will be using the same Key raw materials

In that case, I hope MG honors our sales agreement, as it may turn out to be the bargain of the year, if things / prices skyrocket, even a wee bit.  

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

same for you as they are on that Hydrogen bizzy already..... even on airplane trials with Hydrogen 

They tried pushing the Hydrogen cell car back in 1997 ... 25 yrs later and ????

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What the hell is that ?

i guess you never drove in your younger years a 5.7 V8 Oldsmobile Cutlass ....or simillar ..... you realy missed something....... ????????

• Like 1

MG ZS EV refuses to start after charging, leaves me stranded

I finished the charging, unplugged and tried to start the car. To my horror, the car simply refused to start and kept on giving “HV Battery Shutoff” & “Vehicle Control System Fault”.

But turns out that I had tried to start the AC through the app before the charging had finished. This small mistake of mine converted into a huge nightmare for me.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/mg-zs-ev-refuses-start-after-charging-leaves-me-stranded

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

i guess you never drove in your younger years a 5.7 V8 Oldsmobile Cutlass ....or simillar ..... you realy missed something....... ????????

I'm a Yank, 67 yrs old .  Yes, I've driven muscle cars ... useless in Thailand.  They make EVs now that out perform all the old muscle cars. 

Try to keep up.  Stop living in the past.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They tried pushing the Hydrogen cell car back in 1997 ... 25 yrs later and ????

Think you need to do some more reading on the subject, here, punch in your home town for hydrogen fill stations. 

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/hydrogen_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=HY

Here's a nice looking hydrogen Toyota, oh and tech to astound even  you...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not one fueling station in TH, and if in the USA, you better live in S. California.

Hydrogen ... what a joke.  25 years ago & today.

• Sad 1

Is there a reason why major online insurance brokers wouldn't provide an online quote for EV vehicles

I did see a post where insurance quotes for EV vehicles start for 26K baht upwards

First case, change the whole battery The famous brand of electric train is stunned with a price of 540,000 baht

https://www.thaipost.net/economy-news/138578/

Maybe this is why 50% of the vehicle cost in a single component

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm a Yank, 67 yrs old .  Yes, I've driven muscle cars ... useless in Thailand.  They make EVs now that out perform all the old muscle cars. 

Try to keep up.  Stop living in the past.

That is just natural progress in momentum, yet there are modern day manufacturers that still live in the past, I mean, someone dug up MG from the past, strange that, eh....????

The number of people on here that slagged real MG's off, you were one, yet you bought a car wiv an MG badge designed by Brits at the same location in England, not China, or so I am told, using Chinese materials to produce the item, strange that, eh...???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A reported graphic was reported and removed. If you wish to use such things please include a link to its source.

In that particular case, pm me if you have the source and I can insert it for you and ressurect the post.

6 hours ago, transam said:

Great, come back when the battery warranty mileage is up, or nearing end of battery warranty. 

Powertrains warranties for ICE vehicles typically expire at 5 years or 60,000 miles.  I guess nobody will buy an ICE vehicle nearing 5 years or 60,000 miles because they're afraid the engine will fail.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1