Hail to all the (modest) Farang Isaan dwellers.

swissie

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Cheers, seems like bedtime soon for this big thinker from Switzerland.

The big thinker from Switzerland  has stayed in rural Thailand for 5 years. In an aerea whwere the english language was unknown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, swissie said:

The big thinker from Switzerland  has stayed in rural Thailand for 5 years. In an aerea whwere the english language was unknown.

I enjoyed the privilege for half of your time, and will return after my euro trip. And agree it is a privilege to live remote without any close neighbors, and actually closest neighbor is the National park ☝️ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

In the very unlikely event, of countries that depend on each other economically to nuke each other and destroy their mutually shared financial successes of the elite, controlling the govts, I think y'all forgot something.

Beside a nuke war, unlike others, just isn't profitable to anyone, Isan has a couple of the major Royal Thai Air Force bases the USA would be using, IF USA & Thai relations remained intact, during that highly unlikely event.  Along with that naval base, up the beach from Pattaya ????

Which case, y'all have a huge bullseye hanging over you ????  Just something to think about.  Udon, Ubon, Korat ... hmm

Luckily the one near me, is simply a very small training base, and simply more of a surf side, country golf club for the generals to holiday at.

image.png.9a0a230abcd9e49f7e57bc1a4ebb82fe.png

Can't see any targets of significance in Chiang Rai, although there is an army barracks there. No Air Force base, 200 km from Chiang Mai.

My impression of the Issan region was hot, dry and dirt poor. AFAIK the Issan region can only support one crop a year, whereas around Chiang Rai it is two.

Good luck to those who live there; however, I prefer a cooler climate.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Some along the river manage 2 plantings a year, and for about 6 weeks in Udon Thani area, it got get quite chilly, as low as 9C once, and teens are common.

Actually a lot of money in the area of Korat, Khon Kaen & Udon Thani, as commerce flows through the areas of.  But that's about it.  Away from hwy #2, and it gets beyond rural.  Flat, boring, dry & dust when not rainy season, and even has its air pollution problems.

Rainy season the complete opposite, and on the fringes of the plateau, can be some diverse landscape, and quite nice actually.

Khon Kaen seems to be the hub of compressed natural gas ( CNG )  facilities. Most cities have only one or two CNG outlets, they were everywhere in Khon Kaen.

CNG is actually swings and roundabouts for passenger cars. Yes, one saves a lot in fuel cost over gasoline or diesel. However, the annual cost of inspection of a vessel designed to contain gas at 25,000 psi eats into that, as does the extra 100 kg of load the car has to lug around. Added to that, cylinder head temperatures are about 600 C with CNG, compared to about 350 C with gasoline. That's brutal conditions for an ICE.

This winter, I parked the car every weekend at my GF's house in the village south of Chiang Rai.

Car port was occupied one time, so I put it on the lawn. When I got up the next morning, there was frost on the front and back windows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

I enjoyed the privilege for half of your time, and will return after my euro trip. And agree it is a privilege to live remote without any close neighbors, and actually closest neighbor is the National park ☝️ 

We have neighbours but not that close apart from 2. Your position sounds great.

Which park if you don't mind me asking?

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

In the very unlikely event, of countries that depend on each other economically to nuke each other and destroy their mutually shared financial successes of the elite, controlling the govts, I think y'all forgot something.

Beside a nuke war, unlike others, just isn't profitable to anyone, Isan has a couple of the major Royal Thai Air Force bases the USA would be using, IF USA & Thai relations remained intact, during that highly unlikely event.  Along with that naval base, up the beach from Pattaya ????

Which case, y'all have a huge bullseye hanging over you ????  Just something to think about.  Udon, Ubon, Korat ... hmm

Luckily the one near me, is simply a very small training base, and simply more of a surf side, country golf club for the generals to holiday at.

image.png.9a0a230abcd9e49f7e57bc1a4ebb82fe.png

Probably true but did you have to ruin my day?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Some along the river manage 2 plantings a year, and for about 6 weeks in Udon Thani area, it got get quite chilly, as low as 9C once, and teens are common.

Actually a lot of money in the area of Korat, Khon Kaen & Udon Thani, as commerce flows through the areas of.  But that's about it.  Away from hwy #2, and it gets beyond rural.  Flat, boring, dry & dust when not rainy season, and even has its air pollution problems.

Rainy season the complete opposite, and on the fringes of the plateau, can be some diverse landscape, and quite nice actually.

In the cool season I don't think it gets as cold as the north but it does seem to get windy. I've sat in open restaurants with people wrapped in blankets. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, swissie said:

Pretty much my village, been here 12 years.Suits me just fine, "far from the madding crowd" ????

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, swissie said:

Ah, only five years. Well done grasshopper...

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, Lacessit said:

Can't see any targets of significance in Chiang Rai, although there is an army barracks there. No Air Force base, 200 km from Chiang Mai.

My impression of the Issan region was hot, dry and dirt poor. AFAIK the Issan region can only support one crop a year, whereas around Chiang Rai it is two.

Good luck to those who live there; however, I prefer a cooler climate.

Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and the whole Lanna thingmie will be overun by the Chinese before you wake up let alone brought in your first crop.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

@swissie what a wonderful comment...

English.png.befa0bd03e1ab2706c2aab4b798eed60.png

This can only happen, if a non native English speaker tries to type faster than he can think without proof reading. Will never happen again. Self flagellation will put me on the right track again

Hello, I am the OP. For better of for worse. As expected, most "Isaan Dwellers" are quite happy to live in rural Thailand. I too would still be living in Rural Thailand, if it wasn't for arising health issues. If I would have stayed in Thailand, the medical bills would have financially wiped me out. And I wasn't "a poor Farang".

The issue remains. Without strong financial backing or a "good" health insurance, the Thai Dream can turn into a nightmare.

I have known many elderly Farangs in Thailand over the years. 2 of them committed suicide, because they didn't want to ruin their Family, due to foreseeable overwhelming hospital bills. An act of modern day "Chivallery" some may find.

What are your thoughts? What would you do in a similar situation?

7 hours ago, swissie said:

This can only happen, if a non native English speaker tries to type faster than he can think without proof reading. Will never happen again. Self flagellation will put me on the right track again

Why don't you just laugh about is like we all did.

Sometimes our brain is not on 100% and maybe not even 50%. It happens.

Obviously it's not a good idea to do anything important with the brain not working properly but then, this form is not in that "important" category. Enjoy life and don't take it too serious. 

On 7/3/2022 at 4:49 AM, swissie said:

As an "English-Teacher" I suppose. If you are young and a *pretty Farang", be on your guard, Use condoms at all times. The salary of a english teacher will not support a large Thai Family.

There are many thousands of Thai teachers supporting large families.