Thailand with a falling baht caught in stagflation spiral with high inflation and low GDP growth

webfact

image.jpeg

Prices in Thailand rose by 7.66% in June, a 14-year record driven by rising energy and food costs. Now the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) is conceding that heightened inflation of between 6% to 7% may also extend into the last quarter of the year while peaking in Autumn at up to 9%. On Wednesday, the Minister of Finance Arkhom Termpittayapaisith (inset) stressed that there was no capital flight out of Thailand from debt markets. He said his ministry was monitoring the baht which has just breached the ฿36 barrier against the US currency. It comes as the country has posted a widening current account deficit in May of $3.7 billion from $3.1 billion in April with the government hoping that a revival of foreign tourism will help balance the books in the latter half of the year even though the numbers are still only a fraction of those seen in 2019.

by Joseph O' Connor

The significant and heavy impact of the war in Ukraine is hitting Thailand hard as it also challenges economies across the world as inflation bites the less well off with anaemic growth. All eyes over the coming months will be on Thailand’s current account after it posted a larger deficit of $3.7 billion for May ahead of a $3.1 billion shortfall in April. The problem for the kingdom is elevated import costs driven by oil prices in excess of $100 a barrel and a foreign tourism industry that, at best this year, will only see 25% of the numbers seen in 2019 crippling the country’s already limited prospects for significant growth.

The Thai Minister of Finance has assured the media that Thailand was not experiencing a flight of capital from debt markets as he said the government was monitoring the baht even as it continues to depreciate against the US dollar breaking past the ฿36 barrier for the first time in over 15 years on Wednesday. It comes as the kingdom’s current account deficit rose for May 2022 to $3.7 billion after a $3.1 billion shortfall in April while the kingdom’s economy, like others around the globe, is left facing the very real and perhaps inevitable prospect of an economy mired in stagflation with an anaemic growth rate and persistently high inflation in force at least until the end of 2022 which could feed into a spiral.

On Wednesday, the Thai Minister of Finance, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, told Reuters that the depreciation of the Thai baht was not being driven by capital flows from the country’s debt market as the baht broke through the ฿36 to the dollar mark for the first time in over 15 years reaching a new low against the US dollar while the Thai currency since the beginning of this year, has gained ground against both the pound sterling and euro.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/07/07/thai-economy-caught-in-a-stagflation-spiral/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-07-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

America is already in a recession but don't want to admit it.

It is has nothing to do with some entity admitting it or denying it. Unless the second quarter GDP data is announced (on July 28), it is premature to think the US GDP has shrunk. Yes lots of economists are saying America is in a recession but it is not conclusive yet unless second quarter GDP is announced. I strongly believe that we are not in a recession and on JUly 28, it will be confirmed. We must have missed narrowly because I don't see any other tell tale signs of a recession. Consumer sentiments are bad because of high gas prices. Market is unstable because of a recession fear. Job data are strong. Unemployment is extremely low. Wage is growing.

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

The only good currency is the Russian but this won't last and America is already in a recession but don't want to admit it. But when you are feeling bad just lesion to this good old song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBqhGEU4FA&list=RDMM&index=4

Great song, before I clicked on the link I thought it was going to be, Don't worry be happy. 

3 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

All these reports seem to infer that tourism *is* quite important to Thailands economy after many years of politicians telling everyone it is not

No one has ever believed what the government has babbled on about as far as the small gdp tourism supposedly gives the country. Many no better as well as those whose subsistence relies on tourism...

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

'the Thai currency since the beginning of this year, has gained ground against both the pound sterling and euro.'  I'm British & not enjoying this.

same euro down again Today 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

All these reports seem to infer that tourism *is* quite important to Thailands economy after many years of politicians telling everyone it is not

Of course it is, otherwise how could it be claimed that increasing hotel prices for tourists will solve the national economic crisis?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Ukranian war to blame.. not the manipulation of the THB in THailand, not the mismanagement of the economy, and the tourists industry...Inflation is all over the world not a specific Thai problem same as oil prices..but Thailand has made a mess in the past years of the country and now the will face the problems

Putin did it. Period.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Not sure about the 15-year high on USD claim.  I distinctly recall purchasing my espresso machine in February 2016 when the USD hit 36 on the Baht.  And I have the credit card record to prove it.

Yor're right. Baht was over 36 at beginning and end of 2016.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Getting close as it is now

image.png.0110960c738517599d537abc42a738cb.png

I wonder how that will effect a country like cambodia,the strength of the dollar will surely put alot of Europeans off going anywhere where dollar is used I would think.

• Like 1

Living as I do on the edge of the EEC and close to Amata City, I have noticed a considerable downturn in activity over the last Month or so.

The workers do not seem to have the same amount of OT,  if any, they are also being asked to take Holiday entitlement Days as there is little work for some of them.

The Bosses are saying to these people that they are awaiting spare parts from Laos Etc

IMO, the Export Market is taking a downturn due to high Inflation in the Market Place of such Countries as the US and EU Etc, and the reigning in of spending by the Consumers, which has caused this effect,

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Not only politicians.

I recall mainly some  forum posters fond of  stating that.

Edited by JimmyJ