Thailand to consider interim measures to prevent Covid spread

webfact

1 hour ago, ThailandGuy said:

The surge happens everywhere, but nowhere they are closing down again. So why is Thailand even considering this?

Have read 2 editorials out of UK stating the government has failed the country by lifting mask mandates and other preventatice measures.  Same in US, Canada, other countries.  They're argument is simple:  we need to learn to live with this to avoid the economic crash we had in 2020/2021, and dropping masks, allowing large groups is not going to do that.  It risks putting our economies right back where we were 2 years ago because vaccines aren't keeping up and herd immunity a lost cause.  And simply letting it spread could lead to a new strain we can't control.  So the pressure is out there to reinstate preventative measures.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I 've read there are 29.000 new cases a day in a newspaper..... I am wondering if the cases are real cause when there were many cases they lowered and now they maybe make them look worse..just to keep the emergency decree??

How sick are people really when they have Covid? is it worth the panic again?

I think this newspaper needs a new calculator...

2 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

They have no idea how many "cases" there are.  

I think this newspaper needs a new calculator...

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I am just getting over it 10 days of hell.  Down play it or think what you want for me, it was not a cold or flu.  Lung and breathing issues were serious, I had to sit in a chair to sleep because I could not breathe laying down.  Certainly not a joke probably would have been much worse without the vaccine.

Sorry to hear. Would you describe yourself as being in the "vulnerable group" with comorbidities, and were you vaccinated, (with which, and how many doses)?

On 7/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, LookMoo said:

In UK (where they have reliable statics) the same trend is notable. Most of the excess death have no relation to COVID (other than being vaccinated). I do not suggest or imply that this have something to do with modern mRNA vaccines, but are ground for further research.

As I have not have any vaccine and is a member of the risk group (married to a Thai, fat, diabetic ugly) and had many COVID-infections. I have volunteered to be in a unvaccinated control group to be able to compare how well the mRNA vaccinated fair in comparison.

There is absolutely not the same pattern in UK (the excess deaths number has been recently in the +/- 1000 range which is not significant). 

2 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

The surge happens everywhere, but nowhere they are closing down again. So why is Thailand even considering this?

They're not closing down in other places.....yet

It is summer after all, I wouldn't really expect too much to happen until September or even October in Europe.

What happens in Europe is often an early indicator for what will happen here.

Edited by ukrules

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I 've read there are 29.000 new cases a day in a newspaper..... I am wondering if the cases are real cause when there were many cases they lowered and now they maybe make them look worse..just to keep the emergency decree??

How sick are people really when they have Covid? is it worth the panic again?

The figure is shown in a later news article as being the total number of cases of  29,000 since 25th June.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DezLez said:

The figure is shown in a later news article as being the total number of cases of  29,000 since 25th June.

I know they change sometimes the headline or the article itself..... just to make it fit to the response I suppose

It is everywhere on the rise .....that is why they handle it now as " endemic" ....

Translated from my home coutry HLN  newspage 

https://www.hln.be/binnenland/coronacijfers-besmettingen-stijgen-tot-meer-dan-6-000-per-dag-aantal-overlijdens-stijgt-met-bijna-50-procent~a0d4bd40/https://www.hln.be/binnenland/coronacijfers-besmettingen-stijgen-tot-meer-dan-6-000-per-dag-aantal-overlijdens-stijgt-met-bijna-50-procent~a0d4bd40/

CORONA FIGURES.  Infections rise to more than 6,000 a day, number of deaths rises by almost 50 percent
 The Belgian corona figures continue to rise.  The number of new infections with the corona virus rose between June 28 and July 4 to an average of 6,271 per day.  The number of deaths is rising sharply, by 45 percent, according to the latest figures from the health institute Sciensano.

Editorial 08-07-22, 06:40
 Last update: 07:32
 Source: BELGA

Edited by david555

5 hours ago, wombat said:

I still feel naked without one...they are a hard habit to quit once they've got inside your head

It save some shavings a week ....shaving foam and blades take longer .....a sideways economic covid  advantage ????

Edited by david555

I honestly think it's so contagious that there's nothing really you can do but mask up and get boosted.

I've had 3 shots, got COVID, and I expect to get it again.  Especially since our kids go to crowded schools.  They'll eventually bring it home for all to get and spread further.

"The BA.5 subvariant of the basic Omicron variant appears to be more contagious than any previous form of the virus. It’s apparently better at dodging our antibodies, too—meaning it might be more likely to cause breakthrough and repeat infections."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-the-new-ba5-covid-variant-is-the-most-dangerous-one-yet

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

To those living in Thailand, how was the mask holiday? Did you enjoy it? 

Masks back on this time next week

Can't put it BACK on as I never had it on...

Nor will I. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 7:45 PM, Eleftheros said:

UK excess deaths at the moment are consistently up about 10% over the long-term average, of which very few are Covid-related. Deaths at home are up by 30%, described by one Prof. Levinson as "horrific numbers".

An investigation is expected to focus on a narrow set of possible reasons:

• pandemic response (lockdowns, masks etc, leading to downturns in physical and mental health)
  • lack of access to healthcare and delayed referrals
  • cost of living crisis, deprivation, stress
  • heart problems caused by the Covid virus

So there must be some other reason why people - mostly of working age - are falling off the twig with such regularity.

You're absolutely right. There were 1,540 more deaths than usual in England and Wales registered in the week ending June 24th, the most recent week for which data are available, according to the latest update from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), released on Tuesday. This is 16.6% above the five-year average. This also brings the total number of non-Covid deaths above the five-year average since April 29th, the start of the recent spike, to 7,840. Of these, a large proportion are occurring in the home, leading to calls for an urgent investigation into why thousands more people are dying than would be expected, despite Covid death numbers staying low.

Close all the schools.

No alcohol.

Sex with masks

Shower with masks

10 meters, not 2

make it 100

Falang COVID Visa, mandatory:  1 million baht

Hello tourists, are you ready to quarantine!!!!!!!

Close all the roads, those bikers are dying.......nah.   

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

With official numbers as of this morning being at a mere 2,144 new cases that was announced by the Ministry of Public Health Ministry, Thailand is now facing a critical time yet again.

That figure is at least one decimal point out of place, and then some more.

During the height of Delta max figures suggested around 20,000-25,000 daily infections.

At that time around me I only knew a handful of people infected.

Now I am surrounded by people who have it, in fact it's easier to count those that haven't had/got it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

To those living in Thailand, how was the mask holiday? Did you enjoy it? 

Masks back on this time next week

Mine never came off... self preservation.

• Thanks 1