LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

So far, I find the processing of my LTR visa application to be a complete disaster. The official was obviously unable to interpret my pension notice and requested a lot of other documents such as my deposit statement. When I sorted that out, the issue of my health insurance began. I have internationally valid private health insurance. A current insurance certificate that I presented did not prevent the official from asking for a receipt from the health insurance company that I had paid contributions. When I provided this, he now wants written confirmation from my health insurance company that they will not cancel my contract or change the tariff while I am in Thailand. The official had already requested the insurance terms and conditions and everything is in there. I referred to this but they only replied that they would check it when I presented the letter from the health insurance company. I could go mad. No insurance company puts up with such a kindergarten drama. I can no longer believe that this is all pure incompetence. I am slowly beginning to suspect that this is being blocked on purpose.  Of course I can use one of these agencies for 81,000 Baht. Then it will probably be sorted out very quickly, as everyone can imagine. But I don't see that as a good idea, because my case is really simple and there are no doubts about it. Has anyone had similar experiences?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mickflick said:

So far, I find the processing of my LTR visa application to be a complete disaster. The official was obviously unable to interpret my pension notice and requested a lot of other documents such as my deposit statement. When I sorted that out, the issue of my health insurance began. I have internationally valid private health insurance. A current insurance certificate that I presented did not prevent the official from asking for a receipt from the health insurance company that I had paid contributions. When I provided this, he now wants written confirmation from my health insurance company that they will not cancel my contract or change the tariff while I am in Thailand.

I concede it can seem like you are going around in circles ... but I think if you stick with it you will succeed. 

My experience in different countries around the world when dealing with bureaucracy is that there can be 'hidden reasons for the delays'.  If I had to guess I would say the individual who is handling/screening your case at BoI ran into issues in the past with another applicant, that has irritated that BoI individual screener's boss ...  where the boss is pushing his employee to get more info than normal ... and you being the 'low man on the totem pole' here means it all ends on your lap.

I went the $100K US equivalent in the Bank route for self health insurance instead of using my European Cigna (as their paperwork about coverage are simply too massive for BoI to find the very precise information they want to see) and this took me some time to prove (as some of my accounts were not accepted as it was possible to trade equities with them). What some have done is asked their Health Insurance company to write a letter saying one has a health insurance contract with $50K US coverage that expires on such and such a date (or maybe it is open ended with no expiry date).  I did not go that route so I do not know the exact wording in the letter (from insurance company) that was acceptable to BoI.  But when I go for my 5-year re-proof, I think I will try the 'letter' from the Insurance company approach.

I took me ~5 months to have my LTR approved, but I succeeded in the end.  Perhaps part of that long duration was my fault, as I only fed BoI the bare minimum for financial proof (as I didn't want to share the entire scope of my finances with them) and maybe that complicated things.

Good luck !