Post Covid Restaurant Experience

recom273

I had the one of the most unappealing restaurant experiences last night.

Not that the food was bad, it was OK .. just they were using a POS system called "Foodstory" https://foodstorysite.webflow.io/en

As we. walked in were directed in the general direction of a table, and were handed menus and a QR code and told to order ourselves through a website on our mobile phone. the restaurant was Italian, and basically whatever pasta dish you selected, you then chose the sauce and then the meat / seafood. Which I guess that's what pasta dishes are, but still.

We had no explanation on how to order, it wasn't hard to work out, but we did have a time where we were unsure if we had placed the order, and just waited. The servers just stood at the back of the restaurant (which I guess most do) - there was even a bell on the web app to attract their attention. You selected everything on your phone, everything arrived within 3 mins, all at the same time, starter, drinks, main and salad. There was no interaction with the staff.

I can assume, even tho the food was ok, and there were a maybe another 3-4 tables occupied, because of the time involved, that it took little skill to prepare, some of my pasta was cold. My wife could have knocked up the dishes at home.

When it was time to pay the bill, we confirmed the food we ate with the app, whilst we were wondering if we had done the right thing, within seconds the service brought the bill along with a scannable QR code. We paid and left. I doubt we were in the restaurant for more than 30 mins.

On the way out, I looked at the servers, and said thank you, none replied - I have had better response from a food delivery rider.

I'm all for automation and cashless sytems, in fact I love home automation, but last night was just one step too far. The service could have used the system better by adding a bit of a personal touch, but its a bit of a depression thought if this is the future.

Anyone else?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Had the same experience, also in an Italian Restaurant, in Siam Paragon Mall. Maybe the same place. I asked for a traditional paper menu and the waiter rolled his eyes and gave me one. The digital menu had many more food selections available than the paper menu. The staff were snobby and stand-offish. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Pre cooked/prepared and microwaveable by the sound of it.

Pizza company have similar model for foodl where most things are just heated up in an oven.

The automation sounds awful, cold and impersonal !

What was unusual for this country, is all the meals ariving together ! Been to many where I have nearly finished mine before wife even gets hers ! and vice versa.

Lots of the chain (mall) restaurants simply heat up their off site prepared meals.  Simply not having the space, cooks, time to store & prepare meals.   Easy to know if said restaurant does, simply ask to substitute something off the menu, say mashed instead of chips.  Hopefully better than airline food, although I've actually had better in First Class than what some restaurants have served up ????

Along with 'generic' bland flavor, which is safe for them, but sadly, most not supplying condiment to tweak to taste.

Makes you wonder what silliness is next in the restaurant world.  A row of vending machines, pick you meal and use the row of microwaves to heat up.

With the privilege of sitting in their restaurant ...

... new chain "TV Dinner's Out" - unique dining experience.

Edited by KhunLA

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds great, no need to tip

Yes, no tip needed. They didnt even have a gratuities box, which I thought was a bit of an oversight by the developers. 

There was no fun in ordering, like wether or not the waitress understood your Thai .. If the chef got the order and you were actually going to get your food. All those annoying things that makes Thailand great! All the food arriving at the same time was really off putting, I like to sit much on a piece of garlic bread, and wait that's why they are labelled "starters" on the menu".

48 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I wouldn't use a place like that. 

What if you haven't got a phone.

Its not the automation that bothered me, I use an automated shopping list / recipe server at home. It was the lack of personalization. Im sure the system wouldn't need to be developed if there was no covid, it's just the perpetual feeling of fear.

If there is no interaction, the food tastes exactly the same at home - anyone can buy a can of pesto, fry some bacon, cut two cherry tomatoes in half and mix it all with some pasta, then what's the need of driving 20km into town?

It reminds me of my trip to nando's in the UK last month, directed to a qr code, spent ages putting everyone's order in to find out I needed to sign up to pay. F that! I then went to the til area and ordered in about 30 seconds.

I ordered some drinks in spoons too using their phone app. Found out it was quicker to order at the bar also as our drinks were sat there waiting to be delivered to our table. 

3 minutes ago, recom273 said:

If there is no interaction, the food tastes exactly the same at home - anyone can buy a can of pesto, fry some bacon, cut two cherry tomatoes in half and mix it all with some pasta, then what's the need of driving 20km into town?

Why we wonder why we even go out to eat.  Laziness & boredom is the only reasons I can think of.  As we can usually do better at home, with few exceptions. 

Pastries being the main exception, as some are quite time consuming to make.  Along with if I make at home, then I have to each all or half the cake or pie, instead of that 1 serving out.  I think 7 out of 10 eating outside the house is just that, pastry & coffee for us.  Gets us out of the house, and they usually can't screw it up.

Wife made Mexican the other night, I'll call it 'tacos' and better than any I've ever had here/TH.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Had the same experience, also in an Italian Restaurant, in Siam Paragon Mall. Maybe the same place. I asked for a traditional paper menu and the waiter rolled his eyes and gave me one. The digital menu had many more food selections available than the paper menu. The staff were snobby and stand-offish. 

No, this was an independent restaurant in a city in Issan, no need to mention the name, because there was nothing wrong with the food, the service was just following the managements instructions, it was just an observation in the direction that things may turn.

I had the situation you describe in one of my favourite places in Hat Yai, homeless cafe (although the menu grew boring after a while) - The service are "cool" young guys who can speak English, I asked what the one of their many burgers had in it, instead of answering the question, he told me to scan the QR code and check the digital menu. This wasn't the question I asked, he knew the answer and gave me some wise guy answer. Covid came along and we never returned.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

What's the opposite of warm and fuzzy?

That place sounds appalling.

Agree. I also encourage using technology but I also want to have a pleasant experience at every restaurant I visit and that includes some pleasant interaction with the staff which can easily be Covid- 19 safe. 

I recently went to MK and we ordered on a computer screen at the table and a robot brought out the food. Actually it was a bit of a gimmick but this R2D2 sized machine did bring a couple of the easier courses. 

A different observation was that you used to get big plates of vegetables that often have a big pile of good stuff like mushrooms, kelp, and a range of good quality vegetables. This time it had a big pile of cabbage in the middle  and less of the good stuff around it.  Duck seemed a tad small too.

When I went to leave a tip it did cross my mind that I had not much staff interaction so not sure what the tip was for. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Why we wonder why we even go out to eat.  Laziness & boredom is the only reasons I can think of.  As we can usually do better at home, with few exceptions. 

Pastries being the main exception, as some are quite time consuming to make.  Along with if I make at home, then I have to each all or half the cake or pie, instead of that 1 serving out.  I think 7 out of 10 eating outside the house is just that, pastry & coffee for us.  Gets us out of the house, and they usually can't screw it up.

Wife made Mexican the other night, I'll call it 'tacos' and better than any I've ever had here/TH.

I don't have an answer to that - We moved to Khon Kaen a year ago - It's a novelty to get out, give the kitchen a break, let her get some makeup on, take some selfies and food shots to post on fb and see some normal people instead of the village hedge monkeys. Sadly, we have visited a few places where we were the only diners in an empty restaurant.

I have been enjoying Quinns, an Indian restaurant, although not talked to the owner, he's there watching football, chatting and drinking with some guys and there are always other (often big) tables coming and going, food tastes freshly prepared, no online ordering or digital menus. Trouble is, the guy has shot himself in the foot, I just learned to make BIR Indian food from YouTube and we can replicate the flavors at home. ???? 

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I don't have an answer to that - We moved to Khon Kaen a year ago - It's a novelty to get out, give the kitchen a break, let her get some makeup on, take some selfies and food shots to post on fb and see some normal people instead of the village hedge monkeys. Sadly, we have visited a few places where we were the only diners in an empty restaurant.

Try GreenLeaf, out by the airport.  Use to be a favorite of ours:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Greenleaf+Hydrofarm+%26+Restaurant/@16.455786,102.7824213,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x312261c739d75aa1:0xfed8479391e7df53!8m2!3d16.455786!4d102.78461

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I wouldn't use a place like that. 

What if you haven't got a phone.

Or....don't wish to live every aspect of one's existence by way of everything electronic/digital/automated/IT. 

I'll pass.

Whatever happen to real and personal interaction?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zzaa09 said:

Or....don't wish to live every aspect of one's existence by way of everything electronic/digital/automated/IT. 

I'll pass.

Whatever happen to real and personal interaction?

I guess it's just a way of automating business and not having to hire more staff than necessary just so the owners can get to be millionaires by next year. ????

I don't mind using the self-service at McDonald's, but that's at McDonalds and even then I would like eye contact, smile and a thank you from the person bringing the food over.  If I went to a proper restaurant, I think I would want a decent bit of human interaction.  Being waited on is a part of the experience.  It's what's you miss out on eating at home, the décor, the food, the service, should all be something a little bit special.

Even street food or a café, I won't go back somewhere where the people aren't polite and I will purposefully return to places where the people are friendly.  It seems so rare these days.

I'm very polite and friendly, so I feel it reasonable to expect the same in return.

I can honestly say that I have never had a meal in Thailand that I did not enjoy, other than the meals I cooked myself.

For one, I never eat at beaneries with a POS machine.

I usually eat with students.

Normally, I choose restaurants based on my perception regarding the health of the students frequenting any given restaurant.

Also, at any given restaurant, the more beautiful or handsome the students, then the more flavorful the food seems to be.

I have never waited more than about five minutes for food served graciously to my table.

I have, so far, never used my AmEx Card to purchase food at any restaurant in Thailand, after many years.

I suppose that, if I wished to use my AmEx Card to pay for food at a POS machine in a restaurant, then this is what I would get...

Some shrunken piece of mystery shellfish, a brandy snifter with questionable contents, an ice cube where it does not belong, no cognac, and a woman with wrinkly hands, of about 50 yo.

Who needs it?

image.jpeg.31050495e5e94f99d8c11f3bf44d11d4.jpeg

Years ago, I participated in plenty of banquets in famous cities in China.

But, these days, I try to limit my consumption to some of the best food I have ever eaten for Bt.30 per dish.

I have hundreds of photos of the food I have enjoyed during the past ten years.

You might think this is a small compensation for the celibate life I lead.

However, you would be wrong.

I can eat 10 dishes in one sitting, 

While most of you can only handle one per hour.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, recom273 said:

Anyone else?

Sat outdoors at a nice Thai restaurant by the Mekong today.

As soon as we arrived, was guided by an old gentlemen showing me where to park the car, i.e. right in front, I said thank you once I got out of the car.

We were greeted by 2 staff who walked us through the restaurant and out the back, pointing to an abundance of tables and chairs which were shaded by the trees with a beautiful breeze flowing as we looked across to Laos.

Waitress asked if we would like any drinks and we ordered, when she left, wife went over the menus, as I did, when the waitress returned with the drinks we ordered, 6 items and they arrived at different times as that gave us time to eat as they arrived.

Waitress was at our disposal not far away, but close enough for us to grab her attention when we needed it, although she would come over and refill my glass when it was half way, guess she enjoyed the attention I gave her with my big smile, luckily she had no clue what I was thinking ????

In all I would say we spent 2 hours there, from the moment we arrived food started to land on our table within 30 minutes and up to about an hour all up, which gave us plenty of time to enjoy it all, smoothies afterwards, the bill was worth the fine quality food we were served and the tip was commensurate with the service.

I will never pay via an app for anything, it's cash or nothing, then again, I do have my back up as wife knows how to use all of those things, but for me, I like to keep it simple, stupid, as cash has always been King for me and will remain that way till I am gone.

The above said, food has to always be as fresh as possible for me so the place you visited sounds like a fast food place to me which I would avoid like a plague.

Edited by 4MyEgo

In Mexico, it's about 80% of places foisting the phone menu on you. Only one place didn't have a paper menu to offer (a discount sushi chain). In all places, it was the phone menu that was incomplete, not the paper one.

If you didn't have a phone, they'd lend you one to look at. None of them let you communicate directly with the kitchen; they were all about serving you to earn a tip.

It's part of unwanted progress, like self-check-out.