Thais set to pay record five baht a unit in new electricity charges from September

webfact

12 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have done what I can to help raise awareness about solar in Thailand

Oh dear, no wonder you stated you didn't understand what I posted. Raising awareness is of zero use to those families that have 1000 baht or less per month to survive on. They may be poor but not totally stupid and many would love to have some further support , such as solar, but simply can not afford it. I appreciate that is hard for you and many others who are fortunate enough to not live in poverty to not understand. Come and live amongst them permanently, not just take fleeting visits for photo ops.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A great many Thais (and likely many foreigners, some here on TVF) are already paying 6-9 Baht per KWH Unit as charged by their unscrupulous landords from who they rent rooms or apartments. Many people would love to get the 5 Baht government rate but cannot.

We have two houses on adjacent plots of land.  For whatever reason, if I keep my electric use moderated in the guest house - we don't even pay electricity.  I'm not sure how that works but I don't complain. 
The main house isn't that bad.  During the peak of the hot season we paid maybe 3000 THB ($100 or less).  Compared to the US that is a pittance. 

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Oh dear, no wonder you stated you didn't understand what I posted. Raising awareness is of zero use to those families that have 1000 baht or less per month to survive on. They may be poor but not totally stupid and many would love to have some further support , such as solar, but simply can not afford it. I appreciate that is hard for you and many others who are fortunate enough to not live in poverty to not understand. Come and live amongst them permanently, not just take fleeting visits for photo ops.

I have donated and installed a solar pump at my local school and taught the students how it works. What have you done? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have donated and installed a solar pump at my local school and taught the students how it works. What have you done? 

Possibly a significant amount more than you over the years running into tens of millions to help the very poor but there again it is not the point. Blowing one's own trumpet in order to suggest to people you have done good is not the point.

The point is many families live below the poverty line and exactly what have you done to help those ? several zeros come to mind so may I suggest you just crawl back to your self opiniated cacoon of self praise and continue trumping your gifts to one school to your fellow well off pals, because simply the poor in Thailand simply do not care about your self proclaimed do-gooding, they are too concerned about putting food in the mouths of their family daily.

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Possibly a significant amount more than you over the years running into tens of millions to help the very poor but there again it is not the point. Blowing one's own trumpet in order to suggest to people you have done good is not the point.

The point is many families live below the poverty line and exactly what have you done to help those ? several zeros come to mind so may I suggest you just crawl back to your self opiniated cacoon of self praise and continue trumping your gifts to one school to your fellow well off pals, because simply the poor in Thailand simply do not care about your self proclaimed do-gooding, they are too concerned about putting food in the mouths of their family daily.

The solar system will be feeding kids in the school for decades to come. You provided no evidence so can’t be fact checked.

• Like 1

For the first 6  months of this year my electricity monthly bills came to

difference    cost    cost per unit    daily units used

837.0      ฿3,771.60        ฿4.51                27.00
765.0      ฿3,429.90       ฿4.48               24.68
960.0     ฿4,355.37        ฿4.54               30.97
1,029.0    ฿4,682.86       ฿4.55               33.19
1,053.0    ฿5,060.19       ฿4.81                33.97
936.0      ฿4,475.63       ฿4.78                30.19

That is for 2 houses, 2 freezers 24/7, 2 fridge freezers 24/7, usually 1 fan 24/7, 2 other fans 12/7, Aircon in my room set to 28C 10/7, water pump available 24/7, various lights mostly led 12/7.

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The solar system will be feeding kids in the school for decades to come. You provided no evidence so can’t be fact checked.

"Decades to come" indicates you are away with the fairies but still , your gullible well off friends may believe you but unfortunately practicalities of maintaining any system do not bear you out.  Trust you will contribute 100 % to maintenance of the system as and when it becomes necessary. Now there's a good chap go and blow your trumpet elsewhere because frankly the notes from your trumpet sound a bit flat when it reaches the shores of reality.

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

For the first 6  months of this year my electricity monthly bills came to

difference    cost    cost per unit    daily units used

837.0      ฿3,771.60        ฿4.51                27.00
765.0      ฿3,429.90       ฿4.48               24.68
960.0     ฿4,355.37        ฿4.54               30.97
1,029.0    ฿4,682.86       ฿4.55               33.19
1,053.0    ฿5,060.19       ฿4.81                33.97
936.0      ฿4,475.63       ฿4.78                30.19

That is for 2 houses, 2 freezers 24/7, 2 fridge freezers 24/7, usually 1 fan 24/7, 2 other fans 12/7, Aircon in my room set to 28C 10/7, water pump available 24/7, various lights mostly led 12/7.

We average 575-700 units a month, so ฿2500-3200 a month, for 1 small AC, 2 frigs, 1 TV, usual kitchen appliances & fans. 3500w hot water, on low.  Poorly built & insulated house.

New one, next month, better built & insulated/walls shaded, so will be about the same, maybe 3500 if we've abusive w/AC.  Sure I will be, as solar should handle the full load.  Along with EV coming before the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

We average 575-700 units a month, so ฿2500-3200 a month, for 1 small AC, 2 frigs, 1 TV, usual kitchen appliances & fans. 3500w hot water, on low.  Poorly built & insulated house.

New one, next month, better built & insulated/walls shaded, so will be about the same, maybe 3500 if we've abusive w/AC.  Sure I will be, as solar should handle the full load.  Along with EV coming before the end of the year.

Wow.  I feel bad paying between 6500 thb and 7600 thb for a 3 bedroom condo here in Bangkok.  We wash close daily, use the dryer, run the AC at 26, have a refrigerator with a freezer unit, as well as a new chest freezer.  To top it off we are only home half the time. We average between 1400 and 1500 units a month.  When we were home during the li known the usage averaged 1850 units a month. Thankfully there was the discount.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe UK pensioners, electricity bills have just about doubled in the UK, there are thousands of deaths from cold related illnesses every winter in the UK, now there will be many more with another increase coming up in October.

Unless you have wage earners sharing a house, stay away from the UK.

And many of us have no house or family in the UK

3 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

And many of us have no house or family in the UK

Well if nobody from the UK has no house or family in the UK, or even has family but cannot stay with them, do not even think of going back to the UK to stay unless maybe you are on the state pension and develop health problems.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Well if nobody from the UK has no house or family in the UK, or even has family but cannot stay with them, do not even think of going back to the UK to stay unless maybe you are on the state pension and develop health problems.

Exactly my point frozen income but everyone just about snd the locals on fixed income too!!1

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow.  I feel bad paying between 6500 thb and 7600 thb for a 3 bedroom condo here in Bangkok.  We wash close daily, use the dryer, run the AC at 26, have a refrigerator with a freezer unit, as well as a new chest freezer.  To top it off we are only home half the time. We average between 1400 and 1500 units a month.  When we were home during the li known the usage averaged 1850 units a month. Thankfully there was the discount.

????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Exactly my point frozen income but everyone just about snd the locals on fixed income too!!1

Many years ago in uk a lot of people I worked beside told me I was daft putting some money every month into a couple of pension schemes because the country would have to take care of me.

Two well known ones at that time.

One started paying at 60 and one at 65 along with uk state pension.

Wonder what they would tell me now?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Many years ago in uk a lot of people I worked beside told me I was daft putting some money every month into a couple of pension schemes because the country would have to take care of me.

Two well known ones at that time.

One started paying at 60 and one at 65 along with uk state pension.

Wonder what they would tell me now?

I was told the same thing in my early twenties by an uncle who worked for what is now HMRC and by my bank manager where I then worked.

I did the same as you and now happy and comfortably retired here!

On 7/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, aussiexpat said:

This became my biggest expense in March/April as my condo elec bill hit 3800

Will have to spend more time in aircon bars when I come back

And 1 beer you have spent more than what your lekky costs

a) it reflects an increase of 25% (from 4 to 5 Baht)
b) in a country with 280+ days of sunshine, solar energy was never a governmentally sponsored issue and remains nicely under the big carpet called Thailand 

c) it is ridiculous to know that 70+ % of Thailand's electricity is thermopower

Once you look at an official electricity bill you know, that serious clowns are at the helm as no living soul can decipher all those numbers of meters, customers, FT, surcharges etc. etc. 

For me, simple rip-off hoax, like the rest of the skilled leadership taking its electorate for the perpetual ride on the big merry-go-round ........

On 7/12/2022 at 10:32 AM, EricTh said:

Blame both Biden and Putin for the oil and electricity increase. Putin for the war and Biden for the ban.

The oil and gas were marching up well before the war in Ukraine. The war just added a bit extra.