Stationary Exercise Bike - Can anyone recco a good bike available online here in Thailand for a 91kg guy ?

Pumpuynarak

58 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Yep first place i looked but i thought i'd go for any recco available as they have so many i'm spoilt for choice and how does one differentiate between whats available.

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Decathlon, have 2 year guarantee, try and return something on Lazada after a while

Yep i'd previously read that Decathlon are a good bike and recco'd by many.

Ensure you have plenty of adjustment for the saddle. Not everyone has short legs!

No need for flashy computer. High intensity interval training requires only a timer. Alternate 85 cadence with 125 cadence for 1 minutes each

one. Start at 6 minutes and progress in easy stages. Most effective cardio exercise 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Ensure you have plenty of adjustment for the saddle. Not everyone has short legs!

Do you think you can buy anything in Thailand for people with long legs???

Our condo management just bought a new stationary bike for the "fitness". It's perfect for dwarfs, midgets and 8 year-olds.

I just had a look at Decathlons website, their bikes look like that one. Made in China, for the Thai market, for someone 157cm tall.

Two years ago, I bought a Johnson Horizon Comfort R. Through Lazada.

(I had tried to buy a different brand, but it felt like the sales guy was selling some sort of slightly used - open box as new).

Good points - Bike seat is comfortable and adjustable. 

Bad - 

Screen - control design is awful.

- Uses old WIFI tech. So connecting for those features is basically impossible. 

- The screen is not backlight (Which they acknowledge). Makes it very very hard ro read unless you're seat is in the perfect position.

- The speaker is less than useless. No volume. Need to use an external speaker. Showed the Tech - He shrugged. 

- The speed sensor failed just a month or two before the warranty expired. Even after arguing with the repair Tech that is was likely a sensor and not the computer, we waited months for the repair part. Turned out they were wrong - It was the wheel sensor.

Bottom line, I really wish I had bought something else ...

• Like 1

I broke 100 kgs, a few years back, so picked one up myself, as too hot outdoors half they year, and preferred to work up a sweat in the AC.

Just looked, and mines a 'no brand' model.  Doubt if it was expensive, me being 'thrifty'.  Advertised as 'magnetic', and quite nice actually.   Seat adjustable, along w/ adjustable cycling resistance.  Had electronics, kms pedaled, even heart rate gauge via thumb, but they c r a p'd out.  Didn't need anyway.  Just do 20 minutes every day, then my floor exercised for back strengthening.

Get some seat time, actually shopping and sitting on, pedal for minute or 2 before buying online.  Seat & resistance adjustable about the only 2 options I needed, used.

If for weight control beside boosting metabolism/energy level, then research intermittent fasting.  As I do that now for maintaining weight at 80 ish kgs.  Too easy.

Edited by KhunLA

If you are serious about exercise (as opposed to just spinning) the main issues are:

- how heavy is the flywheel?

- what is the braking mechanism?

The best is the combination of heavy flywheel plus non-electronic magnetic brake -- this gives the most natural feeling of resistance when you speed up and slow down. 

The worst case is a light flywheel with a mechanical pad brake -- there's no inertia to make the spinning feel natural, even if it feels fine in a two-minute trial.

My Tunturi bike (circa 1997) is the first kind.  It is still great even though the speed panel electronics have worn out, the chain has stretched a little, and the original hard foam rubber saddle is long gone.   I sometimes raise the front or rear a couple of inches to vary my angle over the handlebars.  

I have never tried one of the newer fan-resistance designs, but they work very well in rowing machine.  Worth a try (but probably noisier than a heavy flywheel). 

--Retiree

• Like 1