Skeleton reportedly belonging to a missing 79-year-old Canadian man found in an abandoned field

snoop1130

S__9805840-696x392.jpg

A hotel housekeeper stumbled upon a skeleton that reportedly belonged to a missing 79-year-old Canadian man in an abandoned field behind a hotel in Pattaya.

Pol. Capt. Puttharak Sonkhamhan of the Pattaya Police Station responded to a report of a human skeleton being found in an abandoned field in the Nongprue subdistrict of Banglamung today, Friday, July 15th, at 12:30 PM.

The incident scene was a grassy, empty field behind a hotel (name withheld). The skeleton reportedly belonged to Mr. Glenn (full name held pending family and embassy notification), a 79-year-old Canadian man, based on a passport found beside the skeleton. The officers also found a white shirt and dark pants with 300 Canadian dollars in the pocket.

Da Phomthung, a hotel housekeeper who discovered the skeleton, said she was just picking up wild water plants in the field when she smelled something rotten in the breeze. She then followed the scent and discovered a skeleton, which she initially mistook for an animal carcass but realized upon closer inspection that it was a human skeleton, prompting her to call the police.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/07/15/skeleton-reportedly-belonging-to-missing-79-year-old-canadian-man-found-in-abandoned-field-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-07-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, edwinchester said:

$300 still in his pocket along with his passport so not too suspicious. My money would be on an age related incident, heart attack, stroke etc or even dementia.

Yes but who goes for a walk in an abandoned field? probably in a state of distress

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes but who goes for a walk in an abandoned field? probably in a state of distress

Pretty sure the guy shaking hands with nobody and getting directions from the easter bunny might

'Repeat line'

Pretty sure the guy shaking hands with nobody and getting directions from the easter bunny might

Yes, you get distressed and confused in old age

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A hotel housekeeper stumbled upon a skeleton that reportedly belonged to a missing 79-year-old Canadian man in an abandoned field behind a hotel in Pattaya.

Will he get it returned?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Going for a walk in an abandoned field, not suspicious at all

How can you abandon a field ? 

a·ban·don
/əˈbandən/

verb

cease to support or look after (someone); desert.
"her natural mother had abandoned her at an early age"

give up completely (a course of action, a practice, or a way of thinking).
"he had clearly abandoned all pretense of trying to succeed"
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Passing away having a stroke is my ambition...

49 minutes ago, Excel said:

I would rather it be passing after continual strokes ????

A vigorous shaking is my ambition....:cheesy:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe confusion dementia onset by some illness. Who knows but no robbery as everything of value was there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Maybe confusion dementia onset by some illness. Who knows but no robbery as everything of value was there.

How do you know that ? Just because some things of value were found does not prove that others of more value had already been removed/stolen. 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I am 78 and could walk up to the back of my wife's land, over the fence into the national park 100 metres or so and nobody would find me after the smell died away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I am 78 and could walk up to the back of my wife's land, over the fence into the national park 100 metres or so and nobody would find me after the smell died away.

but would you walk to an abandoned field where you were staying at a hotel?

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

How do you know that ? Just because some things of value were found does not prove that others of more value had already been removed/stolen. 

True but chances are higher that it is no crime. You never know something 100% sure but the chances are higher that it was natural then that it was not. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

but would you walk to an abandoned field where you were staying at a hotel?

If I felt the need to, then yes I would. He had enough sense to take his passport with him to be identified by.

I have no idea of his circumstances as I wasn't there nor did I know him.

Perhaps he was alone in the world, perhaps he had a disease which was slowly killing him, perhaps he felt that there was no point in staying around, so he found a quit place to simply lie down and die without bothering anybody.

There are many places in Thailand where, if you wish, you can walk 1 or 200 metres off the beaten path to simply give up.

Unless he had family or friends in Thailand or Canada nobody will miss him.

I have a couple of friends in their 80s on Messenger that I haven't heard from in months. They simply stopped using messenger and if their families were in contact on Messenger they could simply have put a message out, that sadly the person has died. If not then there is no way to find out.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling

12 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

RIP to the gentleman. It would be very surprising if he has gone walkabout and nobody missed him or reported him missing. 

Not really surprising at all. If he has no family left in Thailand and only kept in touch through Messenger, email etc his accounts will stay open until they are legally closed. Friends and family can send a message and if it is not answered, who is to know what happened?

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If I felt the need to, then yes I would. He had enough sense to take his passport with him to be identified by.

I have no idea of his circumstances as I wasn't there nor did I know him.

Perhaps he was alone in the world, perhaps he had a disease which was slowly killing him, perhaps he felt that there was no point in staying around, so he found a quit place to simply lie down and die without bothering anybody.

There are many places in Thailand where, if you wish, you can walk 1 or 200 metres off the beaten path to simply give up.

Unless he had family or friends in Thailand or Canada nobody will miss him.

I have a couple of friends in their 80s on Messenger that I haven't heard from in months. They simply stopped using messenger and if their families were in contact on Messenger they could simply have put a message out, that sadly the person has died. If not then there is no way to find out.

No mention of his wife reporting him missing, that's strange in itself

1 minute ago, peterfranks said:

Maybe because his wife lived 700 km away?

I read it properly now and it said "The victim’s wife who lived in Chaiyaphum province told the officers over a phone that the victim had a history of memory loss issues and poor health and she believed he went for a walk, got lost, and tragically passed away"

Its actually less then 500 km away so guess the walk alone could have killed him although they found him 500 mtrs from a hotel he stayed at. They suspect he went missing on the 6th yet he didn't arrive in Thailand until the 6th so why would he stay in a hotel 500 km away from where his wife supposedly was if the aim was to reunite ?  That aside, it does sound a bit of a suspicious story by his wife, if indeed they were legally married.