Select foreigners can own 0.16 hectares (1 rai) for residential use in Thailand from September

snoop1130

15 hours ago, kevc said:

Everything they talk about concerning foreigners is always down to how much money they can squeeze out of them, certainly makes you feel welcome and wanted.

Maybe they should pay us, have you ever tried digging on this soil? I have broke many shovels  on this dirt that's full of stones.

I have the money. But somehow I'm not interested in the generous offer at all. Just when I think of the associated paperwork, the endless running around for some kind of official stamps, the many regional officials who look at me with wide eyes and have not heard anything about the scheme, the hundreds of paper copies, the waiting time at the authorities, etc. make me to get vomit.

Involved are likely the immigration office, the regional land office, the local tax office, the land registry office, the foreign ministry, BOI, director General, translators, banks, lawyers, the local mayor, surveyors, architects, construction companies, insurance companies, the local electricity office, local supply water company, neighbors and whoever else is stirring the cake.

Conclusion: Remind me that time is the most valuable asset I have.

I am not interested in this 40 million + X baht scheme for max 1 Rai.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

with 40 million baht, i would open a construction or restaurant business. i would build a house with a swimming pool and a great garden and other things. I would build it in my construction work land area so it would count the business asset. So i can own it and live in it freely. I would do the same thing for the restaurant. With the rest of my 40mil i would buy a nice car and name it under my business so there will be no legal issues. i would put the rest of the money into the bank. 

i think better than buying a 1600 square meter land.

Edited by problemfarang

The average American land owner has between 1/6 to 1/3 of an acre. (Single or double in town lots)  One rai is a bit larger than 1/3 acre, so in that regard one rai is adequate size for a home. That said, I am used to rambling around on twenty-five acres (about 65 rai)  in the US. Maybe 1 1/2 rai in my wife's name, or a thirty year lease on a larger parcel (we'll both be gone by then, probably????)

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand eyes 1 million new expats with 10 year visas and land ownership

By Online Reporter

image.jpeg

Thai government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana. File photo

Thailand hopes that offering 10 year visas and the option to own land for residential use will help to attract 1 million new expats, which in turn will generate over 1 trillion baht to the local economy.

Up until now, foreigners owning land in Thailand had been prohibited.

However, government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana on Friday (July 15) confirmed plans to relax Thailand’s rules on land ownership for foreigners.

The move, first reported by Hua Hin Today earlier this week, and still subject to cabinet approval, would see foreigners granted permission to own land for residential purposes providing they invest 40 million baht, (approximately US$1 million) in Thailand over three years.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/thailand-eyes-1-million-new-expats-with-10-year-visas-and-land-ownership/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-07-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

delusional 555

adjective

• 1. characterized by or holding false beliefs or judgments about external reality that are held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, typically as a symptom of a mental condition: "hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia"

16 hours ago, redwood1 said:

1 Rai = 1600 meters...

Enough room to build a modest house and maybe squeeze a small swimming pool in.....But that's about it...

No Longer Available] 1 Rai of Land for Sale - Beachside Bang Saray,  ถนนชายทะเล บางเสร่, Bang Sa-re, Sattahip, Chon Buri, Lands for sale, by  Naphaphat Nitipakpinyo, ฿5,000,000, 7297755

Or you can buy roughly 2 acres with established olive trees, a lot, a house ( 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms ) ready to move in near the coast in south Italy ( best wine and food on the planet ) for around £140,000.

No investment required.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hmmm…. Beware of the word “select” .It actually  will exclude most of us ordinary foreigners in the same way the word “exclusive” does. It excludes those without millions in money and includes those that do

Hilarious. Whats the old expression: Don't spend more than you are prepared to loose?

If you are a pensioner then rent and move around to different countries as the goal posts change.

If you are married to a Thai and you think you have a good long lasting relationship, then build a house through your wife, which means you can get half of it back if the marriage does not work out.

IMHO nothing changed, unless you are a complete idiot to follow through on this!

For this money its still better option to buy a comfy apartment in BKK and when you need a break you go somewhere to travel, Thailand has many nice places, but what i think is they did it because of Russian oligarchs, they are banned to own property mostly everywhere so Thailand will become hub for their money.

20 hours ago, peterfranks said:

As far as I'm aware, that has been the law for many years already.

So what has changed?

Yeah but you dont have to tell everybody.  This is supposed to be a new bright and shining idea from a modern forward thinking government. 

In any case how did you know already?  Do you listen to this government or something?  Well, well, now we know who it is?   lol

19 hours ago, peterfranks said:

One Rai is plenty.

I have 1 Rai, built a 350 sqm house, 3 bedrooms and double car carport, a 11 x 6 meter swimming pool, 40 sqm maids quarters on it.

And guess what, I still have 800 sqm meter of lawn left. Far too much to maintain.

where is this ?

• Like 1

I feel so much better now, knowing that if everything went tits up with my missus i'd only lose 2m I feel so pleased, plus the added bonus of not having to take care of 1 rai. ???? coz there is also an added bonus i could move to where the postman delivers mail and pay all those fines ???? 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If it fails just when you need it is it not money wasted? 

Still have the 40 million though. Honestly in the many years I have been on this forum people always get themselves tied up over land ownership, but nothing changes. For what it's worth  many Thai husband's and wives have a single name on the home ownership papers. For both of my married neighbours the house and land is in the wifes name only and the car is in the husband's. This is not an uncommon occurrence. 

• Like 1

Well you never know someone might find it to be the best deal they can find after becoming persona non grata everywhere else. I am not sure if I would fancy investing that much in Thailand as I would imaging it would involve having rather too many Thais tied to any deals investments. Another large supermarket chain Tesco pulled out of Thailand in 2020 due to problems.