Select foreigners can own 0.16 hectares (1 rai) for residential use in Thailand from September

snoop1130

It would be much more attractive if the land ownership would be linked to a long-term visa or residency permit that ensures that the owner can use his/her property.

In comparison in following EU countries one needs to invest in real estate the following amounts for 5 years to qualify for a residency permit.

Portugal residence permit €350,000 5 years
 Spain residence permit €500,000 5 years
 Greece residence permit €250,000 5 years

At least 10 countries offer citizenships/residency by investing $200k-500k in real estate in the Caribbean or Europe.

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why on Earth would they want to attract pensioners? 

It's the money they want so they don't really care how old you are.

Anyway you can't pass the land on to your kids etc so pensioners would be preferred. They die and Thailand keeps the 40 mil and gets the land back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Anyway you can't pass the land on to your kids etc so pensioners would be preferred. They die and Thailand keeps the 40 mil and gets the land back.

Lol, same could be said of many of the Mia farang! 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

You still don't get it that the 40 million is not for the land, but that you can withdraw it after 3 years, don't you?

9 hours ago, zoltannyc said:

It would be much more attractive if the land ownership would be linked to a long-term visa or residency permit that ensures that the owner can use his/her property.

In comparison in following EU countries one needs to invest in real estate the following amounts for 5 years to qualify for a residency permit.

Portugal residence permit €350,000 5 years
 Spain residence permit €500,000 5 years
 Greece residence permit €250,000 5 years

At least 10 countries offer citizenships/residency by investing $200k-500k in real estate in the Caribbean or Europe.

Compare to the USA. As a Thai, I'd have to invest $500,000 to qualify for a long-term retirement visa there.

31 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

You still don't get it that the 40 million is not for the land, but that you can withdraw it after 3 years, don't you?

Of course I know that.

You've still got to pay for the land on top of the 40.

The problem is that as yet it's not clear what's going to happen after 3 years.

The land you can buy will be in selected areas and if you decide after 3 years to 'withdraw' your investment will you still be able to hold onto the land?

Too many unanswered questions and always the chance the rules will change after a few years.

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Compare to the USA. As a Thai, I'd have to invest $500,000 to qualify for a long-term retirement visa there.

Very interesting comments.

Especially the fact there's 2 subjects:

- Land ownership.

- Permission to be in the country.

Is there any indication that the current discussion re land ownership in Thailand automatically gives a long-term visa?

Just now, scorecard said:

Especially the fact there's 3 subjects:

- Land ownership.

- Investment.

- Permission to be in the country (visa).

Is there any indication that the current discussion re land ownership in Thailand automatically gives a long-term visa?

How does it work?

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

- Land ownership.

Surely you need a long-term visa before you are allowed to buy land. 

Ironic that I can buy land in the USA but can't get a visa. In Thailand it's easy to get a visa  but can't buy land. 

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

- Land ownership.

It doesn't look like it.

Can you decide what you want to invest your 40 mil in/on?

Can you then buy your 1600 square metres 'where' you want?

Not too many choices it seems.

Edited by overherebc

On 7/16/2022 at 8:36 AM, Speedhump said:

The pensioners will be queuing around the block for this, eh?... 

If I had 40M the last place I'd choose to live in Thailand. The vast majority of retirees are here because their pension goes further than their home country (or to escape winters)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Whre does it day you can pull out after 3 years and keep the land? What are the specifics of this? Its still a LOT of money to invest just to gain one rai. And as stated in previous articles, land can only be purchased in ceetain areas, and can only be passed onto a Thai. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

If I had 40M the last place I'd choose to live in Thailand. The vast majority of retirees are here because their pension goes further than their home country (or to escape winters)

I was being sarcastic. 

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Then again why on earth would anyone want to live in the usa?

Actually if in your prime working years it is the best place in the world if you are not lazy.  If retired!  IMO it is the last place I would want to be premaritally.

2 hours ago, garyk said:

Actually if in your prime working years it is the best place in the world if you are not lazy.  If retired!  IMO it is the last place I would want to be premaritally.

Much preferred Canada, but on the West side, Alberta was good in the 70's.

56 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

They should gift you 10 Rai for tying up $1.1M USD in Thailand

This is Thailand , if they cannot screw you then they're not interested.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not me. Seems like there's a Karen on every corner and in every shop.

What shocks me is how ignorant many of these 'karens' are, their lack of balanced values, balanced respect and ethics, both male and female.

I'm so glad I grew up in a country where things were/still are much more balanced and so glad my parents calmly identified incidents, words, discussions which were disrespectful/lacking in logic and we calmly discussed it, they taught me to respect all regardless of their heredity, colour, religion, level of education, level of income etc., and they taught me to share.  

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Wow, sounds like Australia. 

I spent a couple of years back in Oz, I had an apartment in a large*, modern, very well managed War Veterans Village. (400 houses, many apartments, 4 hospice buildings.)

In the height of Covid- 19 infections every resident and staff person was totally serious about masks, distancing, getting their innoculations etc. Residents went outside only as really needed for food shopping on one of the free village buses, all with masks and the buses cleaned and disinfected every hour. Throughout this whole period the village didn't have even 1 infection. 

But one morning I went to the wonderful family restaurant for lunch. Line up (with mask and keeping a distance) and select what you want and sit down (less than 5 minutes), wonderful staff bring your selection to your table. During this time visitors were not allowed into the village buidings except for medical etc., staff.

Suddenly there were loud voices. 4 middle aged ladies had arrived and tricked the admin. folks to let them into the building*, and were in the line to order food, all without masks. One of the switched on residents asked 'why are you not wearing masks? (*The outside ladies were aware that our village restuarant had very good/nutritious food, was very clean, and the food prices highly subsidized.) 

One 'visitor' spoke up quickly and loudly. 'We are guests here so you can't tell us what to do and none of us believe that Covid- 19 exists'. The village restaurant staff instantly refused to serve them and called security.

Security came quickly. One of the security staff was a young man born in Australia, very dark skin, his parents also born in Australia, their parents from Kenya.  The 4 outside women all instantly yelled at the young security man saying he was dirty and full of disease. Also yelling about 'you should learn English before you come here'. The reality was that English was his first language.

The young security man was well respected/loved by all the residents of the village, all the residents in the village restaurant at that time all stood up to protect him and to insist that the 4 ignorant outside women be removed and handed over to the police. The outside police arrived quickly to a barrage of nasty abuse from the 4 outside karens. They were taken away by the police.

Restaurant manager, keen to get things calmed down quickly announced:

- 'We will immediately make new rules about admitting people who don't have a member card'.

- 'Everybody please sit down, the staff will come and take your order and bring your selection to your table. Today lunch is no charge' (a total of about 30 people).