Select foreigners can own 0.16 hectares (1 rai) for residential use in Thailand from September

snoop1130

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm so glad I grew up in a country where things were/still are much more balanced and so glad my parents calmly identified incidents, words, discussions which were disrespectful/lacking in logic and we calmly discussed it, they taught me to respect all regardless of their heredity, colour, religion, level of education, level of income etc., and they taught me to share.  

Me too - have been spending some time helping my folks out in small town USA. I was really heartened to interact with the folks living there.

Given the sensationalism on cable news and the internet, I was expecting something very different. The reality was that people - even the kids! - were polite, courtesy, friendly.

Yes, there was the one guy at the gym who was pretty loud about his political views, but everyone just kind of steered clear.  It became apparent that he was tolerated as sort of the village idiot.  Other than that, I was often surprised about how little people's good manners had changed from when I lived there 40 years ago.

(Just to bring it back to this thread, you can purchase 9 acres there for c. Bt40m - a community with clean air and water, little corruption or crime, close by two national forests)

43 minutes ago, Misty said:

Me too - have been spending some time helping my folks out in small town USA. I was really heartened to interact with the folks living there.

Given the sensationalism on cable news and the internet, I was expecting something very different. The reality was that people - even the kids! - were polite, courtesy, friendly.

Yes, there was the one guy at the gym who was pretty loud about his political views, but everyone just kind of steered clear.  It became apparent that he was tolerated as sort of the village idiot.  Other than that, I was often surprised about how little people's good manners had changed from when I lived there 40 years ago.

(Just to bring it back to this thread, you can purchase 9 acres there for c. Bt40m - a community with clean air and water, little corruption or crime, close by two national forests)

well off you go then

On 7/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, BKKTRAVELER said:

I am a bit confused with this new scheme. Do you have to invest at least 40 million baht for 3 years PRIOR to be eligible to buy up to 1 rai of land? Or do you have to invest at least 40 million baht in a land of max 1 rai and keep it for a minimum of 3 years?

Who cares? It's not a particularly attractive option as far as I'm concerned when there's a possibility that this may be revoked at any time and the money is gone for good. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 5:51 AM, overherebc said:

Then again why on earth would anyone want to live in the usa?

Ask all the people lined up at the US/Mexico border trying to get into the USA, legally or otherwise.  Or all the people who arrive on a valid visa but never return to their country.  Obviously there are a lot of people that want to live there.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Ask all the people lined up at the US/Mexico border trying to get into the USA, legally or otherwise.  Or all the people who arrive on a valid visa but never return to their country.  Obviously there are a lot of people that want to live there.  

Most of that kind don't care about the usa. Standard don't want to really work, just take what they can get and scam.

Same as the 'asylum seekers' crossing the channel to uk.

Want it handed to them on a plate and know there will be bleeding heart do-gooders ( usually labour party voters ) who will stand up for them.

As far as I'm concerned if their boats sinks on the way, well, tough luck, your decision.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:24 AM, overherebc said:

Anyway you can't pass the land on to your kids etc

Strictly speaking your non-Thai children cpuld inherit the land, but their choices would be:

1. Sell the land, either to a Thai citizen (most likely), or a non-Thai citizen under the rules discussed in this topic (not so likely).

2. Buy the land themselves as a non-Thai citizen who qualifies under the rules discussed in this topic (not so likely). A deed of gift could not be used, which means full land office taxes and fees would have to be paid. 

10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Yes, they make dangerous sea crossings to get into the UK too.....despite what all the nationals of countries like the USA and UK might say, they appear a lot more attractive than other parts of the world. Free money might help 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, BKKTRAVELER said:

I am a bit confused with this new scheme. Do you have to invest at least 40 million baht for 3 years PRIOR to be eligible to buy up to 1 rai of land? Or do you have to invest at least 40 million baht in a land of max 1 rai and keep it for a minimum of 3 years?

If after the 3 years you decide against buying the land how do you get your money out of the country?