Soi Buakhao restaurant charging 55 thb for a coke, opinions.......

EVENKEEL

On 7/20/2022 at 1:11 PM, EVENKEEL said:

As I'm paying I see I was charged 55 thb for a can of coke with ice.

Was the price not clearly displayed on the menu, or did you not bother to look? 55 baht is a little high and personally I might think twice before ordering if I saw that price and maybe opt for a water instead, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it greedy. You can always vote with your wallet and just not buy.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, ThailandRyan said:

One of them raised prices and soon had no customers while the other one, because of the husband reduced prices and were always busy.

It's quite amazing how they don't understand this. I remember pre-Covid on our vacations in Pattaya, me and my friends made it a point to visit the 100 baht drinks bars and the ones who had 2-for-1 specials every night, while mostly avoiding the bars that were double priced (or more). It's not that 100 baht extra will kill us, but if we drink 10+ drinks each the difference adds up fast. Also it helped that the cheaper bars were always full and lively while the expensive ones were struggling to get customers in...

12 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Was the price not clearly displayed on the menu, or did you not bother to look? 55 baht is a little high and personally I might think twice before ordering if I saw that price and maybe opt for a water instead, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it greedy. You can always vote with your wallet and just not buy.

I don't really look at the prices for drinks, I buy what I want. This is not about how much I paid, it's about how much a run of the mill place like this thinks charges. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

They can charge what they like, whether customers will continue to pay is upto them.

Same for any business, if word gets out and people stop coming then they will only have themselves to blame.

And how does word get about... with posts and threads like this one.

I have taken what was my favourite GGB off my list when they bumped up the beer by 20 baht.... they were already expensive and the girls (and servers)  were pushy and drink hounds. I am not a fan of the cheapo bars, even if that does make them 'full and lively' ( with the cheap crowd). But no or unattractive girls doesn't do it for me.

How is High Rollers doing these days?

On 7/22/2022 at 4:02 AM, Leonard Desharnais said:

Maybe same place but the mrs paid 40 baht for a bottle of water (7 baht at 7-11)

Do 7-11s provide dine-in services, tables crockery, waiting staff, bathroom facilities et al?  If they did, you wouldn't be able to get served with bottled water for B7, there, either!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do 7-11s provide dine-in services, tables crockery, waiting staff, et al?  If they did you wouldn't be able to get served with bottled water for B7.

Here on the Darkside if common to see Thais and expats sitting at the mom & pop convenience stores having drinks at low prices, maybe the OP needs to give this a try seeing as 55b is "over the top" for his wallet....555.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

if it really rattled your cage, and are concerned for the future business model of the resto, you should offer a business consultation with the management. i'm sure Deano would love to meet you. btw, how much do you think a fair price for your time would be for the consultation? 30B?

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Is their any kind of rivalry between the eateries on Soi Buakhoa? 

I reckon Chunky Monkey competes with Cheap Charlies, many people moved to CC because CM kept increasing the prices even before inflation and the Ukraine war. CC has kept prices lower but still good quality 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:27 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Do 7-11s provide dine-in services, tables crockery, waiting staff, bathroom facilities et al?  If they did, you wouldn't be able to get served with bottled water for B7, there, either!

You missed the point of the comments but I guess that was over your head

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Desharnais said:
On 7/23/2022 at 10:27 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

You missed the point of the comments but I guess that was over your head

No, I didn't and no, it wasn't.

18 hours ago, piston broke said:

INMHO 55b for a can of coke is far too much for a "pub" style restaurant - i reccon 30p is a resonable price .....

For some time, before he stopped posting, one of our regulars regularly complained that a well-known Irish-themed bar, still open, charged 60 baht for a bottle of water.

Things could be worse. 5 baht worse, anyway. ????

What the heck are you complaining about?

It's USD 1.5 or UKP 1.4 selling price, the gross profit is 75%. You do not pay rent, staff and utilities with percentages but with real money.
The operator made 40 Baht gross profit on your drink, served in a clean glass he had to buy with ice and a slice of lime he had to provide on a stool/chair he had to buy in a place he is renting being served by a waitress/waiter who gets a salary. 

I suggest you stay wherever you come from, the a coke in the cheapest supermarket and drink it straight out of the can at the door steps of the shop you're buying ......... 

A bottle of wine can have a GP mark-up 800 - 1'200 Baht, the equivalent of 20 - 30 cans of coke, yet by percentage the mark-up is definitely below the soft drinks or water. Just to put this into proportion ..........

With a price of 55 Baht you avoid the cheapies nursing a coke for hours, blocking a seat which could be taken by a higher revenue customer ........ or kept empty, which might be exactly what this restaurateur is trying to achieve.