Anchors for perforated bricks?

OneMoreFarang

What kind of anchors are best for perforated bricks? (I don't know if that is the correct term for these bricks.)

If I use "normal" anchors like below (from HomePro) this works in part. But maybe half the anchor is in the hole of the brick. Not good.

Are there special anchors for these bricks? How are they called? Do you have a link from a shop in Thailand?

Thanks

The bricks for which I need anchors:

IMG_20220723_164806.thumb.jpg.3a28fd66f5acf37d8345825bf5dbf312.jpg

I used these. They are just about good enough to hang a picture or something similar. But definitely not good for heavy load.

Anchor.jpg.a3f49bb06ec4a1609055c7b00b7012d5.jpg

This is a general question. I might want to hang a picture on the wall or maybe something heavy.

Thanks

For a heavy load ,like a big tv , or shelf , you would need to use rawl bolts ,

that's the English name for them, so you would have to google to see what

they look like , they sell them here.    P.S. i think those holes in the brick would only occur on corners. 

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

For a heavy load ,like a big tv , or shelf , you would need to use rawl bolts ,

that's the English name for them, so you would have to google to see what

they look like , they sell them here.    P.S. i think those holes in the brick would only occur on corners. 

regards worgeordie

Thanks

Unfortunately that seems to be not the solution.

Recently I ordered a cabinet which was supplied with those rawl bolts and I used them in the that kind of wall.

The cabinet was bolted to the wall with 4 bolts. Luckily 3 of them were holding fine. But with the 4th bolt it seems I was unlucky with my drilling and it was more or less in a hole in the brick. It holds very little.

And about the bricks: The picture above is from a half demolished wall. Normally the bricks are closed at the sides. But when I drill holes in a wall then obviously there is a good chance to hit a hole.

RAWLBOLTS.jpg

Not exactly like this but...

spacer.png

Be gentle when screwing in the stud as you are screwing it into liquid and not potentially just pushing the glue out of the other end.

We stuck the nozzle right into the hole and drew it out as we dispensed the adhesive.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

We installed a digital TV antenna onto a brick wall. First we tried standard expanding anchors. When we tried to tighten we cracked the brick. So as not to be subject to the ire of my mother we changed tack.

What you do is to glue bolts into the brickwork with epoxy. You can either buy dedicated "chemical anchors" or use a syringe which mixes the glue as it dispenses. 

What we did. Drill a hole in the brickwork. Remove the dust. Fill the hole with epoxy, screw a stud into the hole, wipe of the excess that comes out of the hole  and wait for the epoxy to set. Then attach whatever it is, put a washer and nut on the stud and tighten the nut. Sorted. There for life.

What brand of chemical anchor? Is there something cheaper than I'm finding on Google?

53 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Surf for

That's funny - independent from this thread.

I think nowadays everybody says: google this and google that.

Many years ago it was: surf the web.

It seems you started with the WWW many years ago. For me it was 1994 with CompuServe and then Netscape... 

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

Surf the web to me equals in earlier times, going to the library and wandering the stacks, looking for something interesting.

Googling more like going directly to the reference section.

don't you use google to surf the web?

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you started with the WWW many years ago. For me it was 1994 with CompuServe and then Netscape... 

I prefer not to use the term Googling as that is a trade name. Same as vacuuming the carpet rather than hoovering the carpet. 

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yo kids ... Tandy / DOS only ... screeching phone conx ... ????

And damn expensive ... speeds, hold on, I'll go make coffee ... ????

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yo kids ... Tandy / DOS only ... screeching phone conx ... ????

And damn expensive ... speeds, hold on, I'll go make coffee ... ????

a bit earlier than that with a 6502 CPU, a 300/75 modem that used the phone handset as rj45 plugs were rare, a cassette tape as storage and 8k EPROMs for programs if you were advanced 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2022 at 2:11 PM, VocalNeal said:

Not exactly like this but...

spacer.png

The picture shows a nylon plastic insert (in yellow) that is specifically designed to be used with chemical anchoring adhesives.

Are there similar ones available for purchase in Thailand?

3 hours ago, unheard said:

The picture shows a nylon plastic insert (in yellow) that is specifically designed to be used with chemical anchoring adhesives.

Are there similar ones available for purchase in Thailand?

Hilti Thailand about 1100baht for a pack of 20. Called perforated sleeves. The "test tube" type are on Lazada 12mm about 50 Baht each/

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Hilti Thailand about 1100baht for a pack of 20. Called perforated sleeves. The "test tube" type are on Lazada 12mm about 50 Baht each/

Thank you.

Have found the Hilti product but wasn't able to locate the "test tube" on Lazada.
Could you please share the link?

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to share what I've used -  a cheap and strong chemical anchor solution.

It is more than sufficient for hanging heavy objects.

The materials are readily available and don't cost nearly as much as compared to the industrial products such as Hilti.

Instead of using the expensive pre-made chemical anchors one can buy a cheap 1m threaded rod - available in either stainless or galvanized and sold in various thicknesses.

To make anchors use a hack saw to cut it into pieces to a desired length.

For an anchor adhesive use a Thai made Sanko VR-30 - less than 300B on Lazada.

https://www.sanko.co.th/sanko/en/vr-30.php?id=334

It's designed to be used with a common caulking gun. Also comes with two mixing nozzles.

Just remember to use a drill bit that is larger in diameter than the anchor itself, e.g. for the M8 anchor use a 10mm drill bit.

• Thanks 1