Dumb old falang who 'doesn't get out much' has basic banking query.

May sound ridiculous, but just hoping for a nice quick answer to the following query:

Someone is due to transfer money to me, locally (in Thailand) from their bank account in one particular Thai bank (can't recall the name) to my bank account in another bank (Bangkok Bank, fwiw). This person intends to go to their bank in person to do this. My query is.....if that person has my account number, of my account in that other bank, do a) I have to be there in person too? And b) will one bank transfer money from an account at their bank, straight into another person's account in another bank, nice and simply, at the counter?

Sure many will think I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, for asking about this! That's ok, cos actually it's true, I'm not. ????

PS: if people suggest doung this online in some way - if it's possible - please go slow & explain it to me as if I'm a 5 year old. Thanks

• Like 2

Just now, FrederikKitten said:

Simplest and quickest is to go to his bank, take money, go to your branch and put money in your account. You don't have to be present for anything.

Sorry, forgot to say that I have a dread of this particular branch. It's constantly packed all day, every day. Also in a hot, congested, busy part of this small town. Want to get out of going there.......and also my own bank tbh!

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

No you dont have to be there and yes one bank will transfer to another bank but will impose a few on the sender, usually a small amount

Ok, that seems to answer that query nicely! Thanks Photoguy21! ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

Also money can be send using an ATM machine or even better from your

own chair using a bank app.

Maybe next time your are at your bank you can ask them to install the app for you

and explain to you how to use it.

It is pretty easy and safe to use.

Good idea, when in the branch next get them to install the banking app which makes transferring of money painless. Need a smartphone....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

Maybe next time your are at your bank you can ask them to install the app for you

I only got round to doing that last week at my Krungsri branch, took them one hour and 45 minutes to get it to install and sign up for the app to work! In between got sent to AIS something to do with mobile data.

Edited by proton

Quicker and easier if they just transfer by internet banking. Takes about a minute to a transfer on my phone. No having to go and queue in a busy bank. 

Of course, if its a large sum, there might be some security requirement to go into his local branch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

Thank, jvs. I would prefer to do it this way if possible certainly, as it seems so 'easy' and convenient. 

Having said that.....I'm of an age that for big amounts especially, I would probably feel more reassured if it's double-checked at a counter etc, plus with paperwork. I confess that though aware that people do the atm way all the time, I've never actually done it myself!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good idea, when in the branch next get them to install the banking app which makes transferring of money painless. Need a smartphone....

Yes, someone else just suggested that. It does seem like a good idea. I will look into that. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Quicker and easier if they just transfer by internet banking. Takes about a minute to a transfer on my phone. No having to go and queue in a busy bank. 

Of course, if its a large sum, there might be some security requirement to go into his local branch.

Yes, as much as I hate the bother of actually going to banks, it kind of 'seems' the right thing to do, with large amounts. ????????

• Confused 1

In addition to the tips above.

If it is a substantial amount, I would have to sender send something like 50-100 THB first. Oke will get strange looks from the bank but who cares.

Then after you checked that the money has arrived let him send the rest.

This way the sender can't say I have send you the money but he actually didn't!

You can also make transfers using your computer, which doesn't require downloading an app. SCB doesn't require signing up at the branch either (I don't know about Bangkok Bank). You just log in to the English website and register.

The second best bet for making a transfer would the ATM, It's straight forward. You only need the account number of the person you're transfering to. Online transfers are free but ATM transfers require a small fee,

In either case, the process isn't difficult. If the funds are being transferred to you by somone else you don't need to do anything. If you're transferring funds you will have to register the account you're transferring to, which requires inputting an OTP from your mobile phone a couple of times.

If you go the branch, you could be in for a long wait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

My query is.....if that person has my account number, of my account in that other bank, do a) I have to be there in person too? And b) will one bank transfer money from an account at their bank, straight into another person's account in another bank, nice and simply, at the counter?

(a) No, you do not have to be there.

(b) Yes.  They will probably have to sign a withdrawal form for the amount going to you and a credit form for the Bangkok Bank credit.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, FrederikKitten said:

Simplest and quickest is to go to his bank, take money, go to your branch and put money in your account. You don't have to be present for anything.

Sorry, forgot to say that I have a dread of this particular branch. It's constantly packed all day, every day. Also in a hot, congested, busy part of this small town. Want to get out of going there.......and also my own bank tbh!

They're transferring to your Bangkok Bank account, you do not have to do anything or go anywhere.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

You don't have to do anything. Just ask the person to send you a notification of when it's done and then check your balance.

You're right. I'm the passive party, I suppose. Just check my balance. Sounds simple! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

The OP is the receiver, he's not needing to send anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

(a) No, you do not have to be there.

(b) Yes.  They will probably have to sign a withdrawal form for the amount going to you and a credit form for the Bangkok Bank credit.  

Thanks for that info, Liverpool Lou! ????

29 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No you don't have to be there.

Yes the bank will send the money to your bank

Online transfers will require you have Internet banking or banking app.

Ahh, ok....I will get the app sorted. Thanks, Hammer! ????

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're transferring to your Bangkok Bank account, you do not have to do anything or go anywhere.

Not doing anything & not going anywhere sounds like my kind of banking! ????????

Thank, jvs. I would prefer to do it this way if possible certainly, as it seems so 'easy' and convenient. 

Having said that.....I'm of an age that for big amounts especially, I would probably feel more reassured if it's double-checked at a counter etc, plus with paperwork.

Your OP suggests that you are the receiver, you are not sending anything, that's correct, yes?   Unless you are sending money to the other account you do not have to do anything, double-check anything or deal with any paperwork.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Come back and lets know if you got it, people say

they are going to do things , but especially with money

does not always happen.

regards Worgeordie

I will do that, worgeordie, though if it doesn't go through, I'll probably be busy panicking!????

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Your OP suggests that you are the receiver, you are not sending anything, that's correct, yes?   Unless you are sending money to the other account you do not have to do anything, double-check anything or deal with any paperwork.

That's kind of what I thought, Liverpool Lou. You're right. ????

44 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You can also make transfers using your computer, which doesn't require downloading an app. SCB doesn't require signing up at the branch either (I don't know about Bangkok Bank). You just log in to the English website and register.

The second best bet for making a transfer would the ATM, It's straight forward. You only need the account number of the person you're transfering to. Online transfers are free but ATM transfers require a small fee,

In either case, the process isn't difficult. If the funds are being transferred to you by somone else you don't need to do anything. If you're transferring funds you will have to register the account you're transferring to, which requires inputting an OTP from your mobile phone a couple of times.

If you go the branch, you could be in for a long wait.

This may sound silly, jaywalker2, but it's just occurred to me: what the hell happens if the person inputs the wrong account number, using the atm method? Does someone else get a nice surprise, while I'm well out of pocket? ????